• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Channeling anger!

R

Riva

Has anyone of you ever done this?

Does it work, is it healthy, do you recommend it...?

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I haven't done this on purpose, I am sure I have done it though. In general, Anger makes me uncomfortable to be honest. I would think there'd be a good use for it.. art possibly. However, I wouldn't think it would be productive in dealing with people or business situations. I wouldn't think it would be healthy as it's not healthy to be submerged in stress hormones (Cortisol) among others.

Have you?

R

Riva

I haven't done this on purpose, I am sure I have done it though. In general, Anger makes me uncomfortable to be honest. I would think there'd be a good use for it.. art possibly. However, I wouldn't think it would be productive in dealing with people or business situations. I wouldn't think it would be healthy as it's not healthy to be submerged in stress hormones (Cortisol) among others.

Have you?

I have heard people say on countless many occasions to channel one's anger but I don't see how it could help because it's stressful. So I agree with you and No I haven't.

But I bet that atleast a few people here might have tried it successfully which is why I started the thread.

R

Riva

Whats so stressful about it?

Is it not stressful to be submerged in anger (intentionally or unintentionally)?

Or maybe for you to even question 'it' you must be knowing a way? I'm not arguing with you. Instead I'm implying that anger is stressful and if it isn't much of a stresser for you, you might know of a way to channel it or control it thereby is the perfect person to answer the OP by sharing with us your thoughts/methods on this.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it not stressful to be submerged in anger (intentionally or unintentionally)?

Or maybe for you to even question 'it' you must be knowing a way? I'm not arguing with you. Instead I'm implying that anger is stressful and if it isn't much of a stresser for you, you might know of a way to channel it or control it thereby is the perfect person to answer the OP by sharing with us your thoughts/methods on this.

Well, I think peridically "flushing" my anger, within reason of course, works to keep my head clear. Experienceing anger doesnt stress me out, or it does, but this is not really unpleasant. I like the feeling of bodily strength and power I get while angry. I actually have to be careful not to indulge my anger too much. As far as channeling it, I dont know for sure, I tend to express it to the person who makes me angry in hopes that there will be change. Sometimes its not necessary to get angry at them, just talk. I find that channeling it like through music can make it worse since that seems like induglence in it. :)

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
Sometimes I radiate light beams.

like thissss?

carebearsstare.jpg

care bear stare huzzah!
(bc i do it too)

R

RDF

I have heard people say on countless many occasions to channel one's anger but I don't see how it could help because it's stressful. So I agree with you and No I haven't.

But I bet that atleast a few people here might have tried it successfully which is why I started the thread.

Typically, when people talk about “channeling your anger into something productive,” they mean that you should go do a hard workout, do some yardwork, etc. The idea is that you have a lot of stress and adrenaline, so you should engage in some kind of physical endeavor, for example, in order to put that energy to productive use and at the same time distract yourself.

Another example: Early in the movie “True Lies,” Arnold Schwarzenegger’s character becomes convinced that his wife is cheating on him. He asks Tom Arnold’s character what he’s supposed to do about it, and Tom Arnold’s character responds something along the line of, “Same as every other guy: Dump her and throw yourself into your job. Work 16 hours a day everyday until you become soft and fat like me.” (Or something like that; I was unable to find the actual quote.)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yes, quite a few people here* have said they use anger as motivation. That completely escapes me. I don't understand it at all. I wish I did though.

*And actually, someone I know irl has gotten on my case about "refusing" to turn my anger into motivation. :huh: So I don't know man, it's weird.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^No. But I’d bet good money that Professor Xavier could teach me to fashion my anger into something fabulous.

(Or maybe you’re referring to the serial killer….in which case, my answer is still no.)

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^No. But I’d bet good money that Professor Xavier could teach me to fashion my anger into something fabulous.

(Or maybe you’re referring to the serial killer….in which case, my answer is still no.)

Ice Man from the video game Megaman 1, for regular NES.:D I just cant help but strike when the irony's hot. I wasnt comparing you to a serial killer, lol.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Yes, quite a few people here* have said they use anger as motivation. That completely escapes me. I don't understand it at all. I wish I did though.

Same here. I don't understand anger. I don't know how to deal with it. It eats me alive rather than motivates me, unlike other negative emotions like sadness or despair or fear that can be empowering.

R

Riva

Same here. I don't understand anger. I don't know how to deal with it. It eats me alive rather than motivates me, unlike other negative emotions like sadness or despair or fear that can be empowering.
Fear motivates, that I get. Sadness and despair I don't. Please elaborate. Chanelling anger sadness and despair should have been the name of the thread. If I did so the 4w5s would have flocked on this thread ;).

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Fear motivates, that I get. Sadness and despair I don't. Please elaborate. Chanelling anger sadness and despair should have been the name of the thread. If I did so the 4w5s would have flocked on this thread ;).

Sadness and despair reveals humanity's great tragic truth by which we are all connected. Perhaps this is something Fe-ish, but I feel an intense connection with the rest of the world when I feel sad, and it can be uplifting in a way.

And that, folks, is why it is awesome being a 4 :smile: