User Tag List

12311 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Default Militant Athiesm

What is it? What makes it 'militant', as opposed to 'evangelical' or some more neutral word, such as are afforded to various religions which have at least equal influence? There are probably tens of questions that ought to be discussed in this thread, but I think this ought to get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by captain curmudgeon; 05-26-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

I hear new atheism more often then militant atheism. But, it's the claims that religion is immoral and the perception that the new atheists engage in discrimination that leads opponents to refer to them as militant. There's even the idea that they mirror fundamentalism.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism#Criticisms
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

There's an understanding that atheists aren't supposed to preach, as that would make them ironically similar to what they are opposing to (theism/religion).

Hence, in a certain light, it makes sense to use the term 'militant' for the deviants.
    -----------------

A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    What is it? What makes it 'militant', as opposed to 'evangelical' or some more neutral word, such as are afforded to various religions which have at least equal influence? There are probably tens of questions that ought to be discussed in this thread, but I think this ought to get the ball rolling.
    Dude, really?

You consider evangelical neutral and militant prejorative? I think they're sort of synomynous in my mind, although evangelism is anything but neutral and probably bothers me much, much more than militancy among athiests, there's militancy among any and all sorts of opinions, I actually associate the word with commies and trots(skyists) because of the history of the so called "militant tendency" in UK politics (arguably the UK Labour party excised their militant tendency like it was a cancer, while the UK conservatives were taken over by theirs).

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Cartoon courtesy of a militant liberal-secular-probably athiest propagandist.

Sort of thing that circulates I guess, if you're satisfied with that I suppose its grand, I wouldnt be and I've always been interested in something with more depth, less of the superficial impressions.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I hear new atheism more often then militant atheism. But, it's the claims that religion is immoral and the perception that the new atheists engage in discrimination that leads opponents to refer to them as militant. There's even the idea that they mirror fundamentalism.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Atheism#Criticisms
    I think in many ways they do, they are a channel for certain perrenial personalities I would say, a lot of the people who I see drawn to the new athiesm remind me of the old marxoids or, ironically maybe, libertarian capitalists. They're looking for a key to open all locks and are pretty lazy intellectually really.

Peguy's vid with Dawkin's and the priest is a good example of how well matched some of the new athiests and old christian literalists are, Dawkin's questions and prep for the discussion gave a clear indication that that was what he was expecting and what he encountered differed a lot from that. I've seen something broadly similar to this in "forum life" or online interaction, people who get a kick out of being smart or proving themselves savy and effacious, particularly in dicussions, more often disputes, hunt out someone or some group which is going to be an easy target, vulnerable enough to supply their needs.

Personally I dont like militancy because I was pretty militant in my views when I was a teenager and I knew shit back then, when I perceive it in others it reminds me of myself or something about myself, Jung's whole shadow deal. I only very gradually broke with that and to be honest with the passage of time and perspective I feel the content of my beliefs at the time mattered less than my age and stage of development, context and personality/character traits.

There's a secret every militant doesnt want you to know and that's that they are overcompensating for private doubts.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Cartoon courtesy of a militant liberal-secular-probably athiest propagandist.

Sort of thing that circulates I guess, if you're satisfied with that I suppose its grand, I wouldnt be and I've always been interested in something with more depth, less of the superficial impressions.
    It's just humor, meant to play with the notion that atheists are 'evil'. If you want depth, buy a Dawkins book.
    -----------------

-----------------

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    It's just humor, meant to play with the notion that atheists are 'evil'. If you want depth, buy a Dawkins book.
    Read that back, I'm sure you can see the error the same as me.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

This thread is so militant.

I'm sure someone was predicting someone would say this, I was too, so I decided to be that person.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.