User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I love the idea of magic coming back, although my favorite portrayals of magic in fantasy is a creature that is aware of and a function of a narrative. Not this D&D stuff, which is fun, but just a personal fantasy fulfillment that can actually be fulfilled irl by working hard at something, like everyone else (blah).

If my magic came 'back', the world would be a more beautiful and frightening place, and the next big question would be.. who or what controls the narrative?

Riva

Miracles are magic are they not and the world has seen a lot of powerful magicians in its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    He has AIDS, he's 50-something, and out of shape.
    You are not supposed to spread only-mods-know knowledge in public, Haight...

To think that he could make a positive impact would force one to deny all rational or physical laws. However, call me a child, but . . . one can dream!
    A cottage in the lowlands, a disconnected telephone, a little dog with too much devotion in its heart. I can see it. There is hope. In a dream.

MBTI
    INTj

I don't know of one Mod that is a Lakers fan, actually.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Socionics
    ESI None

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    A child's idea. If magic were to 'come back', it would only for a moment defy any scientific or rational or physical laws, then it would be integrated. Science is not static. That is what makes it superior to dogma.
    Magic is always one step ahead of science, but science can always catch up to magic.

I don't know of one Mod that is a Lakers fan, actually.
    I sincerely hope there are none.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Magic is always one step ahead of science, but science will always catch up to magic.
    If magic is merely the not-yet-fully-understood, then magic was never gone, but then, too, magic is nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I love the idea of magic coming back, although my favorite portrayals of magic in fantasy is a creature that is aware of and a function of a narrative. Not this D&D stuff, which is fun, but just a personal fantasy fulfillment that can actually be fulfilled irl by working hard at something, like everyone else (blah).

If my magic came 'back', the world would be a more beautiful and frightening place, and the next big question would be.. who or what controls the narrative?
    What is this, like breaking the fourth wall or something like that?

Two of the most scary magic realist books I've read where the Iron Dragon's Daughter and The Dragons of Babel but they both feature worlds which are hybrids of ours and our politics etc. and totemism, spells, curses, creatures of myth and legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Magic is always one step ahead of science, but science can always catch up to magic.
    Like Arthur C Clarke's maxim about any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic.

MBTI
    INTj

I sincerely hope there are none.
    Right. That's why your point doesn't make any sense in terms of the theme of this thread.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Socionics
    ESI None

If magic is merely the not-yet-fully-understood, then magic was never gone, but then, too, magic is nothing special.
    Its special at least in that it can be used over people who have no knowledge of how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Like Arthur C Clarke's maxim about any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguishable from magic.
    I beleive there are two kinds(of magic). One that works from little or not understood physical laws, and one that works with the truly supernatural. But then again, even what is truly supernatural can be said to be not yet understood or not yet perceived realms of knowledge.