• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sixth Grader Demolishes Christian in a Debate

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Did anybody here state that religion doesn't have some value (as when you refer to discounting it, because that's a statement of valuation)? Religion obviously has value, at least subjectively. It simply has no value for science. Can faith and reason exist in the same person? Obviously. Does it have anything to do with the present topic? No. Religion can be of value to scientists, but it is of no value to science.

There's those absolutes again. Religion does have value in science. It is the religious mind that went and looked for the arch. Discoveries are made on faith a lot of times, not on evidence. Time and time again we see treasures from our past and present unfolding because we have faith in ourselves, others, and those motivators drive the people in the STEM fields. How it is valued is different for everyone.. to say it has no place at all is to discount a lot of great finds driven by the religious mind.

The lines get blurred a lot where science should start and religion should end for STEM fields. I am merely pointing out that there are no certainties. For either side. That boy said with 100% certainty that there is no proof of God. And he may be right. But I cannot say that without saying maybe. And no one else should be able to either. And still, no one can say that no proof of something does not discount its existence.

We cannot know without knowing everything. And no one will ever know everything. That's why we can make fun of teenagers so much.

Lark

I thought I answered according to my infinitely limited comprehension of your comment. It's a red herring because, so far, you haven't dealt with the topic of the thread, but only dismissed the value of such debates.

OK, you're not for answering any of what I posted then? That's alright, suppose we're clear enough then and no need to carry on wasting time posting to one another.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's those absolutes again. Religion does have value in science. It is the religious mind that went and looked for the arch. Discoveries are made on faith a lot of times, not on evidence. Time and time again we see treasures from our past and present unfolding because we have faith in ourselves, others, and those motivators drive the people in the STEM fields. How it is valued is different for everyone.. to say it has no place at all is to discount a lot of great finds driven by the religious mind.

The lines get blurred a lot where science should start and religion should end for STEM fields. I am merely pointing out that there are no certainties. For either side. That boy said with 100% certainty that there is no proof of God. And he may be right. But I cannot say that without saying maybe. And no one else should be able to either. And still, no one can say that no proof of something does not discount its existence.

We cannot know without knowing everything. And no one will ever know everything. That's why we can make fun of teenagers so much.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you with my absolutes; but the topic has to do with faith in God, not faith in oneself. I agree there can be great personal value in having faith in oneself, as well as faith in God.

And you mention "discounting" God's existence again, as if I didn't understand it in the first place. But I do understand it. It means devaluing God's existence. And I have already addressed this point, so let me put it another way: It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for an atheist to convince a Christian that God doesn't exist. This is because the Christian's mind is structured in such a way that the idea of God's existence has great value for him or her. It is the idea that possesses greatest significance, greatest value. In some cases, this value is greater than life itself.

However, the topic is not the valuation of God, which is what is implied when you say "discounting."

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OK, you're not for answering any of what I posted then? That's alright, suppose we're clear enough then and no need to carry on wasting time posting to one another.

Ask me about the topic, not about the value of debating the topic.

Lark

Ask me about the topic, not about the value of debating the topic.

You dont understand, perhaps its why you're posting this online and not having a conversation with someone in person about it. Anyway, thanks for posting because I know I dont want to converse with you any longer.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You dont understand, perhaps its why you're posting this online and not having a conversation with someone in person about it. Anyway, thanks for posting because I know I dont want to converse with you any longer.

You may always start a thread about the value of religious debates.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Regarding the last statement, the question doesn't concern knowing, but knowing with absolute certainty.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you with my absolutes; but the topic has to do with faith in God, not faith in oneself. I agree there can be great personal value in having faith in oneself, as well as faith in God.

I know. What you're referring to, as the video is, is the absolute truth of whether God exists at all, not about personal matters. What I am saying is...

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for an atheist to convince a Christian that God doesn't exist.

This is impossible because (excluding that the other way around is impossible as well) atheists have no more or less proof in their position than Christians do from an absolute truth perspective. Everything is relative in the human mind itself. There is no evidence for *either* case, and thus it is all a subjective matter. Even if The Bible, the Koran, whatever Jews read, etc. is all discounted and discredited, what they are based on (God and his existence) has not been proven one way or the other.

I am simply saying atheists are overly confident in their side/view and seem to not notice it just because they aren't confident in the same way Christians are. So you get a lot of absolutes and criticism towards Christians when, really, these statements (like the one the kid made, accusatory in nature.. trying to tell this man he is a moron for not siding with him and having a different cultural view of knowledge and reality) are quite ignorant in nature. They blame the person for his/her lack of knowledge. As if you have to be an expert to know anything about anything. This is simply not the case for humanity. The guy admits he does not know everything--he trusts what he is taught, as do all humans. The kid is 11.. If you're going to tell me he got zero influence from his parents I will tell you to watch the video again because the guy immediately thinks the father figure has something to do with this at the beginning. Accusing people of being stupid for not being an expert in a subject is not really the way to go about a debate.

I don't think the kid crushed him. I think the guy spoke well enough for himself, and the kid was quite accusatory in his language. For Christians, to be told God exists, it is the same as being told 2+2=4. For atheists, to be told that God does not exist, it is the same as being told 2+2=4. And they both work.

That is why I keep going to the value of God in the individual and oneself vs the absolute truth. No one has an absolute truth--only what they perceive to be truth.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Regarding the last statement, the question doesn't concern knowing, but knowing with absolute certainty.

What I think you're trying to debate here is absolute vs practical. I keep going to practical applications.. because on a scale of absolute selfishness to altruism ... You're debating whether altruism exists.. and I am saying it is merely the end point on a sliding scale.. but that does not mean, for all practical purposes, that we cannot classify someone's actions as altruistic simply because we have no absolute altruism in humanity.

So to be certain of something, it is okay for practical application. We can say we knew for certain we were in love when we met our SOs. Did we have absolute, objective 100% certainty that we saw the future, all the way down the line ahead of time, and knew that we never wavered in that love once? No. But we can still use the word 'certain' for the practical application of it. We can say 'I am absolutely certain of this' because this is as close as one gets to being objectively absolute. You're arguing semantics of cultural language with this.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I know. What you're referring to, as the video is, is the absolute truth of whether God exists at all, not about personal matters. What I am saying is...

This is impossible because (excluding that the other way around is impossible as well) atheists have no more or less proof in their position than Christians do from an absolute truth perspective. Everything is relative in the human mind itself. There is no evidence for *either* case, and thus it is all a subjective matter. Even if The Bible, the Koran, whatever Jews read, etc. is all discounted and discredited, what they are based on (God and his existence) has not been proven one way or the other.

I am simply saying atheists are overly confident in their side/view and seem to not notice it just because they aren't confident in the same way Christians are. So you get a lot of absolutes and criticism towards Christians when, really, these statements (like the one the kid made, accusatory in nature.. trying to tell this man he is a moron for not siding with him and having a different cultural view of knowledge and reality) are quite ignorant in nature. They blame the person for his/her lack of knowledge. As if you have to be an expert to know anything about anything. This is simply not the case for humanity. The guy admits he does not know everything--he trusts what he is taught, as do all humans. The kid is 11.. If you're going to tell me he got zero influence from his parents I will tell you to watch the video again because the guy immediately thinks the father figure has something to do with this at the beginning. Accusing people of being stupid for not being an expert in a subject is not really the way to go about a debate.

I don't think the kid crushed him. I think the guy spoke well enough for himself, and the kid was quite accusatory in his language. For Christians, to be told God exists, it is the same as being told 2+2=4. For atheists, to be told that God does not exist, it is the same as being told 2+2=4. And they both work.

That is why I keep going to the value of God in the individual and oneself vs the absolute truth. No one has an absolute truth--only what they perceive to be truth.

It's an absolute to state that convincing a Christian to be an atheist is impossible. I didn't mean to imply that it was impossible, although the "camel" analogy does imply this.

I don't recall the kid saying that Hovind is a moron. Did he get some ideas from his father? Probably. But that's beside the point, and that is, his point demolishes Hovind so badly that he ended up stuttering and starting over again.

I have also witnessed scientists ending up stuttering and repeating themselves for precisely the same reason. And so I don't find myself siding with either one. The kid is certainly no scientist, he argued simply from logic, pure logic. Thus proving it's not necessary to argue from the basis of God's existence or non-existence, either as an atheist or a theist.

Their respective personal beliefs in this or that metaphysical entity are not the issue here.

A wise (young) professor once taught me a valuable debating skill: deal with the other person's logic before the facts of the matter. Because if the other person doesn't have his or her logical shit together, the rest won't matter.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What I think you're trying to debate here is absolute vs practical. I keep going to practical applications.. because on a scale of absolute selfishness to altruism ... You're debating whether altruism exists.. and I am saying it is merely the end point on a sliding scale.. but that does not mean, for all practical purposes, that we cannot classify someone's actions as altruistic simply because we have no absolute altruism in humanity.

So to be certain of something, it is okay for practical application. We can say we knew for certain we were in love when we met our SOs. Did we have absolute, objective 100% certainty that we saw the future, all the way down the line ahead of time, and knew that we never wavered in that love once? No. But we can still use the word 'certain' for the practical application of it. We can say 'I am absolutely certain of this' because this is as close as one gets to being objectively absolute. You're arguing semantics of cultural language with this.

I will only mention in passing that, in the history of philosophy, the pragmatism you support there has led to the analysis of cultural semantics. I know that's beside the point you're debating, but the two ideas are hardly that distinct, as late 19th to 20th-century philosophy indicates. They are closely related ideas.

As for the rest, can you say with practical certainty that God exists? Absolutely; one simply can't say it with theoretical certainty. And in this, your point is most brilliant.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Christian asserts the premise that in order to know anything with certainty you have to know everything.

Sixth grader asks: So in order to know that God exists you have to know everything?

Christian stutters uncertainly, and then repeats the original premise as if the sixth grader didn't understand it.

That guy is just dumb. The kid is awesome.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Atheists: 1
Christians: 0

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thing is, it doesn't matter if you can or can't prove God exists. I believe God exists. If I'm right, I have everything to gain. If I'm wrong then I have little to lose. If you you don't believe God exists and if God does exist then you have everything to lose.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The thing is, it doesn't matter if you can or can't prove God exists. I believe God exists. If I'm right, I have everything to gain. If I'm wrong then I have little to lose. If you you don't believe God exists and if God does exist then you have everything to lose.

If it's a simple belief, true. But that's not what is meant by faith in the Christian sense.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
It's an absolute to state that convincing a Christian to be an atheist is impossible. I didn't mean to imply that it was impossible, although the "camel" analogy does imply this.

I don't think it is impossible at all though. Plenty of Christians lose their faith.. but I know a LOT of Christians that lose their faith well before they actually take a scholarly look into the depths of the religion.. They see some bullet points, hear what society is saying, and they sort of get stuck in the flow of things. But, regardless of that, this guy would be impossible (in a practical sense.. of course, theoretically, we will never know for sure) to convince.

My point entirely is... Why are you going to try to convince someone of something personal and subjective that you are right when there is no 100% substantial proof that you are the right 'side' of things?

I don't recall the kid saying that Hovind is a moron. Did he get some ideas from his father? Probably. But that's beside the point, and that is, his point demolishes Hovind so badly that he ended up stuttering and starting over again.

If you're going to tell me that your title alone does not suggest that the adult speaking is stupid in nature and that the kid is absolutely trying to imply this to the public then I don't really know what we have to talk about here.

I don't think stuttering and starting again make for a stupid person. For the record.. it is REALLY hard to be very PC with a child. Someone is always going to get upset. What could he do? Crush the kid in front of his father figure? What good comes of the adult winning a debate with an 11 year old child with his father standing right there? He was on film, with the kid's father, and the kid was stating things that the kid honestly doesn't really know anything about. The kid isn't a scholar, he hasn't delved into the religions and studied the things he needs to make absolute claims. He is being fed information--just like Christian children.

How do you sit there and tell a kid his father is wrong? You really can't without looking like a douche. And that was the catch 22 he was in. Either you're a douche, or you lose. Debating with kids is just not winning no matter what you do.

I have also witnessed scientists ending up stuttering and repeating themselves for precisely the same reason. And so I don't find myself siding with either one. The kid is certainly no scientist, he argued simply from logic, pure logic. Thus proving it's not necessary to argue from the basis of God's existence or non-existence, either as an atheist or a theist.

Faithful logic. Even if it isn't faith in God.. he has faith in the logic he was taught by his father. And there is nothing to say that he won't grow up to change what he thinks years from now.

It is not 'pure' logic. Children are molded by their surroundings. Of course they have personalities of their own, but I have no reason to believe this kid was saying anything except what his father repeats to him all the time. He sounds like a parrot, not a scholarly child curious about things.

Their respective personal beliefs in this or that metaphysical entity are not the issue here.

A wise (young) professor once taught me a valuable debating skill: deal with the other person's logic before the facts of the matter. Because if the other person doesn't have his or her logical shit together, the rest won't matter.

Which still doesn't address the issue that atheism is NOT the only, and true, absolute way to think logically as a human being. And everything here, in this video and what you are saying, is implying it does.

Which means.. the rest here does not matter. I mean, honestly, I think you were looking for a bunch of "Omg yes!" posts for this, in which case you're starting to get them so you can feel content with that. [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] and I sort of just got here first.

To some, it absolutely does matter. This is my point entirely.. until there is proof, why is it atheists always have this huge dick up their ass about people not agreeing with them 100%? It's like this awful cult-ish mentality of 'If you're not agreeing with us then you're a stupid, ignorant moron' and it's really irritating after a while.

At least Christians that feel that way know that is how they feel. Atheists get stuck in this ironic loop of complaining that that is how Christians are while being that way themselves.

Lark

Which still doesn't address the issue that atheism is NOT the only, and true, absolute way to think logically as a human being. And everything here, in this video and what you are saying, is implying it does.

Which means.. the rest here does not matter. I mean, honestly, I think you were looking for a bunch of "Omg yes!" posts for this, in which case you're starting to get them so you can feel content with that. [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] and I sort of just got here first.

I'm sure that's what was expected and I'm sure because the initial response to what I'd posted was simply to post the quote from the clip and ignore the questions about why to do so and what was felt was meant by it.

This to me is pretty juvenile, to try and find the one sentence response which will save any thinking about the topic and can be easily regurgitated should it ever come up, the ultimate achievement of meme culture and internet intellectualism.

I dont think that atheism is a logical response to the human condition, it hasnt been for the whole of human history, human geography or human demography for that matter, not that this proves the essential truth of alternatives to atheism it just proves that atheism isnt the only response to the human condition.

For my part it beggars many a question, if religions, God, spirituality were all crafty conceits, inventions of priestcraft etc. etc. as most atheists describe them its a wonder that they ever organically emerged as they did, universally or almost universally and atheism has such a hard, hard time gaining a purchase within most cultures without major conflicts of conscience or histories of hating or being revolted by their own traditions, history and cultural memory.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think it is impossible at all though. Plenty of Christians lose their faith.. but I know a LOT of Christians that lose their faith well before they actually take a scholarly look into the depths of the religion.. They see some bullet points, hear what society is saying, and they sort of get stuck in the flow of things. But, regardless of that, this guy would be impossible (in a practical sense.. of course, theoretically, we will never know for sure) to convince.

My point entirely is... Why are you going to try to convince someone of something personal and subjective that you are right when there is no 100% substantial proof that you are the right 'side' of things?

If you're going to tell me that your title alone does not suggest that the adult speaking is stupid in nature and that the kid is absolutely trying to imply this to the public then I don't really know what we have to talk about here.

I don't think stuttering and starting again make for a stupid person. For the record.. it is REALLY hard to be very PC with a child. Someone is always going to get upset. What could he do? Crush the kid in front of his father figure?

Well no, not crush. Just nicely put him in his place while setting a good example of valid reasoning skills. If you have a comeback for the 11-year-old's point, then this is a good time to state what that is. The point is that if Hovind requires absolute certainty to know anything, then, applying Hovind's own premise, he can't know that God exists.

What good comes of the adult winning a debate with an 11 year old child with his father standing right there? He was on film, with the kid's father, and the kid was stating things that the kid honestly doesn't really know anything about. The kid isn't a scholar, he hasn't delved into the religions and studied the things he needs to make absolute claims. He is being fed information--just like Christian children.

All he needs to start with is logic. From there, he can prove that certain premises are invalid or self-contradictory. And he has done so, whether or not his ideas about logic came from his father. If both sides aren't using logic, whether competently or not, whether taking the analytic or synthetic approach, then it's not a debate.

How do you sit there and tell a kid his father is wrong? You really can't without looking like a douche. And that was the catch 22 he was in. Either you're a douche, or you lose. Debating with kids is just not winning no matter what you do.

The kid's age puts him off his guard because he doesn't expect an 11-year-old to be capable of such reasoning.

Faithful logic. Even if it isn't faith in God.. he has faith in the logic he was taught by his father. And there is nothing to say that he won't grow up to change what he thinks years from now.

And yet you know that the kid's argument was not based in faith, but in logic, regardless of whether he has faith in logic or not.

It is not 'pure' logic. Children are molded by their surroundings. Of course they have personalities of their own, but I have no reason to believe this kid was saying anything except what his father repeats to him all the time. He sounds like a parrot, not a scholarly child curious about things.

Then what according to you is pure logic?

I'm not taking a stand in the debate, nothing you said there has validity.

It doesn't matter what I was looking for. The topic is the video, not my alleged motives for posting the video.

To some, it absolutely does matter. This is my point entirely.. until there is proof, why is it atheists always have this huge dick up their ass about people not agreeing with them 100%? It's like this awful cult-ish mentality of 'If you're not agreeing with us then you're a stupid, ignorant moron' and it's really irritating after a while.

At least Christians that feel that way know that is how they feel. Atheists get stuck in this ironic loop of complaining that that is how Christians are while being that way themselves.

You made a great point about practical/absolute thinking. Why ruin it?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm sure that's what was expected and I'm sure because the initial response to what I'd posted was simply to post the quote from the clip and ignore the questions about why to do so and what was felt was meant by it.

This to me is pretty juvenile, to try and find the one sentence response which will save any thinking about the topic and can be easily regurgitated should it ever come up, the ultimate achievement of meme culture and internet intellectualism.

I dont think that atheism is a logical response to the human condition, it hasnt been for the whole of human history, human geography or human demography for that matter, not that this proves the essential truth of alternatives to atheism it just proves that atheism isnt the only response to the human condition.

For my part it beggars many a question, if religions, God, spirituality were all crafty conceits, inventions of priestcraft etc. etc. as most atheists describe them its a wonder that they ever organically emerged as they did, universally or almost universally and atheism has such a hard, hard time gaining a purchase within most cultures without major conflicts of conscience or histories of hating or being revolted by their own traditions, history and cultural memory.

You're not above the fray. Whether atheist or Christian, you're part of the problem.

Lark

You're not above the fray. Whether atheist or Christian, you're part of the problem.

Its already been established that your opinion doesnt matter.

Although the fact you're compelled to supply it after the fact is pretty telling.