User Tag List

12 Last

Default Satisfaction in relative terms

what do you understand by the saying better to be aristotle disatisfied than a fat pig satisfied?

does it simply mean that satisfaction is relative or that there is an obvious hierarchy in satisfaction?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Some people are snobs?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Some people are snobs?
    Could be one possible way of reading it sure.

Is there a hierarchy between simple pleasures and others? Are any better than others purely by virtue of what they are?

Is it better to be well fed and ignorant or hungry and wise?

Just the kinds of things I muse about :P

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I am often dissatisfied by my relatives.

Unapologetic being Evolving Transparency's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

Is there a hierarchy between simple pleasures and others? Are any better than others purely by virtue of what they are?

I kinda love this question. Im going to use ur litaral example. Depends on what the person's wise about. For example, if the wise person is a monk but hungry...he's set. end of hunger...He knows a lot of it's mental and he is willing to also sacrifice to get whatever little he can and be grateful for it. (being grateful = satisfaction) lol. Otherwise I think both extremes are too sheltered. But I'm thinking in the terms of status/how much money they have. Fed and ignorant - leads me thinking a poor person. And hungry and wise i'm thinking a rich person.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I am often dissatisfied by my relatives.

lol ur funny :P
    "Once the game is over, the Pawn and the King go back into the same box"

Freedom isn't free.
    "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." ~ Orwell
    I'm that person that embodies pretty much everything that you hate. Might as well get used to it.
    Unapologetically bonding in an uninhibited, propelled manner
    10w12

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

It's very subjective and classism is often a factor, one way or another. Almost everybody knows something worth learning, even if they don't have a lot of formal education and plenty of wise people have gaping holes in their knowledge.

If your wisdom can't keep your belly filled, all other things being equal, you might need to expand your knowledge base a bit. That could fall under being so heavenly minded that you're no earthly good.

But I've gone hungry and didn't like it much, so I'm probably biased.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

The Buddhists tell us that dissatisfaction is a condition of life. And most of us find that even when we are satisfied, we are not completely satisfied. We are satisfied 50% or 75% or, if we are lucky, 90%.

However I have found I am 100% satisfied when I write a poem.

WALMART

Aristotle valued knowledge, the pursuit (presuming you aren't Aperture) is expansive, kind of like planting a tree. Truly getting something for nothing, should the concept exist in nature.

A pig consumes. A lot. A lot of physical stuff.

I believe it is implying there is a hierarchy of satisfaction.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

With robot on this one.

There is a hierarchy of satisfaction. But even that is relative. The point is trying to say that even if you did not become completely satisfied in a journey for something bigger and not immediately in your grasp, that you would still be more satisfied than if you stayed in a comfortable little spot and continued as a 'pig' would, consuming and disposing without conscious effort.

But what it really is trying to point out is that one must determine what is truly satisfying to themselves vs what they are told to think and do.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

The saying is less about satisfaction than about a presumed hierarchy of beings:

Man (intelligence) > animal (instinct).