• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Feeling or thinking about a feeling

Lark

I was reading some Erich Fromm earlier and he was writing about how he felt that most people are disengaged from an activity or aliveness and unconsciously depressed become consumers, retail therapy and all that, however a big part of what being active and alive involved he suggested was feeling and he suggested that most people live lives devoid of feeling, that instead of actually feeling they have a thought about feeling, these thoughts usually a product of suggestion, advertising, which was having neare hypnotic effects on people.

He described what was widespread then, which was like at a time when ads and marketing werent a patch on what they are today, as pseudo-feelings, no matter how much people may believe they were feeling they were instead thinking, then believing they had experienced feelings when all they had really done was think about what it would be like to experience feelings and usually in response to some sort of conditioning or suggestion.

Do you actually think that this is the case or do you think that what Fromm is describing is someone who is NT and is trying to develop more as an NF?

I believe that this phenomenon which Fromm describes is often refered to as cerebration or over thinking which can involve all kinds of feedback loops in terms of unhappy or depressive thoughts, resulting in negative feeling states, which in turn lead to further negative thoughts and that CBT was developed in response to it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
These are the high points of our lives. Thanks to the smallest fraction who understand how the group mind functions, clients have been able to insert their brand into a range of choices synonymous with a thing, if only for the sake of simplicity and practically as the global population has exploded beyond all recognition over the past century. Certain brands evoke feelings of warmth, others excitement - every feeling can be farmed, packaged and sold through things, from religion and child adoption, amusement parks to university degrees and birthdays.

I have a feeling these tickets will be a good investment because I will earn this many love points for each kid, which follows because a world without ten miles of smiling automated machinery on gated asphalt is not one which I can imagine. "If I burn off twenty lifetimes of sin, I can die satisfied."

Remember to mark your calendar.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was reading some Erich Fromm earlier and he was writing about how he felt that most people are disengaged from an activity or aliveness and unconsciously depressed become consumers, retail therapy and all that, however a big part of what being active and alive involved he suggested was feeling and he suggested that most people live lives devoid of feeling, that instead of actually feeling they have a thought about feeling, these thoughts usually a product of suggestion, advertising, which was having neare hypnotic effects on people.

He described what was widespread then, which was like at a time when ads and marketing werent a patch on what they are today, as pseudo-feelings, no matter how much people may believe they were feeling they were instead thinking, then believing they had experienced feelings when all they had really done was think about what it would be like to experience feelings and usually in response to some sort of conditioning or suggestion.

Do you actually think that this is the case or do you think that what Fromm is describing is someone who is NT and is trying to develop more as an NF?

I believe that this phenomenon which Fromm describes is often refered to as cerebration or over thinking which can involve all kinds of feedback loops in terms of unhappy or depressive thoughts, resulting in negative feeling states, which in turn lead to further negative thoughts and that CBT was developed in response to it.

Thats interesting, I've been having a similar problem lately except its the reverse; I have a hard time "thinking" whereas feelings and emotions come more naturally.

As far as adverstising is concerned Im pretty conviced that ads and much of the garbage that passes for culture today make us more "depressed". Whats not depressing about things like reality shows and the like?