User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Ann, not Alice

Quote Originally Posted by digest View Post
    Nice! I've been reading so many cases that ended in transportation (on oldbaileyonline.org) and have frequently wondered about what happened to so many of them afterwards. The only time it's recorded in their records is when they were captured coming BACK from transportation before their time was up.

I looked up Alice's name in their database, but didn't find it. But, like I said before, name changes were frequent as was spelling. It would have been fun to find her though.
    It looks like it was A. Shortus and A for Ann. So it looks like it was Ann Shortus. Click on http://unicorn.aiatsis.gov.au/uhtbin...032/Shortus,+A.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In the basement of our National Library there is a whole industry of individuals devoted to researching geneology.

For instance, an ancestor of mine, Alice Shortus, was brought to Australia as a convict. It was an open prison and the convicts came and went at will. So Alice escaped, and with a few other convicts stole a sailing ship in Sydney Harbour.

As soon as the ship was missed the Royal Navy sent a ship in pursuit. But it was tail pursuit and the Royal Navy never caught them.

However they were running out of water and pulled into the shore and were wrecked on a reef. Everyone made it to land but unfortunately there was a large gathering of aborigees nearby and they slaughtered everyone on the beach except Alice.

Alice was kidnapped by the tribe and bore a number of children who we know quite a bit about because they became Bush Rangers who were inevitably caught by the police and so found their way in our records.

And Alice had a measure of fame as the Queen of the Aboriginees and featured on the cover of our Womans' Weekly magazine.
    I found this quite interesting, induces me to look up my past ancestors.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    It looks like it was A. Shortus and A for Ann. So it looks like it was Ann Shortus. Click on http://unicorn.aiatsis.gov.au/uhtbin...032/Shortus,+A.
    Thanks! Did you have trouble connecting her to your line? Or did the records show her descendants clearly enough? You said she was transported, so I tried to find her case, but didn't under that name. I did find a Mary Ann Short in that time frame though. It could be her as they frequently changed names slightly either during the trial or once in the new country. And googling the surname "Shortus" shows it's not a common name at all worldwide. Thanks for sharing. It was fun to research.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I found this quite interesting, induces me to look up my past ancestors.
    I've really enjoyed doing it. If you do, I hope you share what you find in my thread about it. I'd like to see what you find and how you went about the research.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

And googling the surname "Shortus" shows it's not a common name at all worldwide.
    Yes, I am the only "Shortus" in all of Canberra. Indeed I am an endangered species and I know you will want to protect me.

Did you have trouble connecting her to your line?
    I am not a descendant of Ann Shortus, but as the name is so uncommon, there can be little doubt we are connected way back.

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Everyone is not equal. This would be tantamount to saying we are all the same.
    Bingo.

The Common Law, Sharia Law and the Hindu Caste System

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Everyone is not equal. This would be tantamount to saying we are all the same.
    We started by saying we are all equal in the eyes of our God. Of course this is specific to our God. For instance, we are not all equal in the eyes of other Gods such as Allah or Brahman.

Allah for instance says Jews, Christians and Infidels are not equal to Muslims, while Brahman says Hindus are divided into unequal castes.

So we started off by saying we are all equal in the eyes of our God. Then we secularised this belief into our Common Law and now say, we are all equal under our Common Law.

And although we are all equal under our Common Law, we are not all equal under Sharia law or under the Hindu caste system.

There is confusion in this statement, everyone not equal the rights of everyone are equal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by roman67 View Post
    There is confusion in this statement, everyone not equal the rights of everyone are equal.
    Equality (or lack thereof) can be measured using many yardsticks: religious, moral, legal, physical, intellectual, etc. The idea of everyone having equal rights reflects legal equality, but says nothing about the others.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    We started by saying we are all equal in the eyes of our God. Of course this is specific to our God. For instance, we are not all equal in the eyes of other Gods such as Allah or Brahman.

Allah for instance says Jews, Christians and Infidels are not equal to Muslims, while Brahman says Hindus are divided into unequal castes.

So we started off by saying we are all equal in the eyes of our God. Then we secularised this belief into our Common Law and now say, we are all equal under our Common Law.

And although we are all equal under our Common Law, we are not all equal under Sharia law or under the Hindu caste system.
    Oh boy.