User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Should I treat you as an equal?
    Everyone is not equal. This would be tantamount to saying we are all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    But I would be pretty daring to say who should defer to who, but this is because we are in a stage of transition, and before long we will be demanding deference and dominance. We will have a moral crusade for deference and dominance. And before long we will take deference and dominance for granted. And once again deference and dominance will be the natural order.
    The young should defer to the old; student to teacher; solider to commanding officer; employee to supervisor; someone with less skill/ability/knowledge to someone with greater; someone doing well to someone having trouble. None of these are absolute, e.g. we might defer to our boss at work, but not at home. Many of these relationships are also not permanent, and can be changed or terminated if the "dominant" person no longer merits our deference. We might defer to some people in certain situations, and have others defer to us elsewhere. This is where the balance is found.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Why can't Victor find something else to talk about?
    Why must he always recycle the same things, over and over?
    IS there nothing else to think about in Australia?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Why can't Victor find something else to talk about?
    Why must he always recycle the same things, over and over?
    IS there nothing else to think about in Australia?
    Not one, but three good questions.

1. Why can't Victor find something else to talk about?

He does, he does try, he casts around for something to talk about. But then his good angel waves a little golden finger and warns him not to talk about things but to experience them directly, just like his good angel.

2. Why must he recycle the same things, over and over?

Ever since Victor discovered that repetition is all that is necessary to induce a trance, he has been recycling the same things over and over, so that he will slip the bonds of his critical mind and enter the realms of the imagination.

3. Is there nothing else to think about in Australia?

Australia, being full of rare beasts, is a rare beast herself. For Australia is a project of the Enlightenment. Australia is a project of evidence and reason, freedom and equality.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Have you ever wondered if your ancestors ended up in Australia due to transportation in the 1700s?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Quote Originally Posted by digest View Post
    Have you ever wondered if your ancestors ended up in Australia due to transportation in the 1700s?
    The Scottish and English Enlightenment occurred in the 17th and 18th centuries, just prior to the settlement of Australia.

Also just prior to the settlement of Australia there was one hundred years of peace under the Aristocratic Ascendency. So Australia inherited the values of the Enlightenment of evidence and reason, freedom and equality, as well as inheriting the peaceful values of the Aristocracy.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and we gained our independence from Britain peacefully, and we united a whole Continent peacefully. And today we practise a liberal democracy based on freedom and equality, and our science, based on evidence and reason, often leads the world.

MBTI
    ENTP

I wasn't saying anything bad about it. Just wondered as, being American, I do.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

I wasn't saying anything bad about it. Just wondered as, being American, I do.
    The USA was a colony for 150 years and a penal colony to boot.

And the USA was founded, not by the Enlightenment, but by dissident religion.

And the USA was founded not by peaceful Aristocratic values but by warring Royal values.

And the proof of the pudding is in the eating. You have been forced to eat a violent rebellion against lawful authority in 1776 and then a violent Civil War of brother against brother.

And you have been forced to eat a religion based on no evidence and reason, where 40% of the USA reject Natural Selection.

MBTI
    ENTP

Ergoooooooo.... my wondering. There was also a point where they sent women over to marry the sad, sad men, so there's that too.

My wondering about you was only because you're Australian. And, because after the Revolutionary War broke out, they switched to sending convicts to Australia and records at that time, regarding names (even their spelling) leaves a lot of questions. It was just a passing thought.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

Ergoooooooo.... my wondering. There was also a point where they sent women over to marry the sad, sad men, so there's that too.

My wondering about you was only because you're Australian. And, because after the Revolutionary War broke out, they switched to sending convicts to Australia and records at that time, regarding names (even their spelling) leaves a lot of questions. It was just a passing thought.
    In the basement of our National Library there is a whole industry of individuals devoted to researching geneology.

For instance, an ancestor of mine, Alice Shortus, was brought to Australia as a convict. It was an open prison and the convicts came and went at will. So Alice escaped, and with a few other convicts stole a sailing ship in Sydney Harbour.

As soon as the ship was missed the Royal Navy sent a ship in pursuit. But it was tail pursuit and the Royal Navy never caught them.

However they were running out of water and pulled into the shore and were wrecked on a reef. Everyone made it to land but unfortunately there was a large gathering of aborigees nearby and they slaughtered everyone on the beach except Alice.

Alice was kidnapped by the tribe and bore a number of children who we know quite a bit about because they became Bush Rangers who were inevitably caught by the police and so found their way in our records.

And Alice had a measure of fame as the Queen of the Aboriginees and featured on the cover of our Womans' Weekly magazine.

MBTI
    ENTP

Nice! I've been reading so many cases that ended in transportation (on oldbaileyonline.org) and have frequently wondered about what happened to so many of them afterwards. The only time it's recorded in their records is when they were captured coming BACK from transportation before their time was up.

I looked up Alice's name in their database, but didn't find it. But, like I said before, name changes were frequent as was spelling. It would have been fun to find her though.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery