User Tag List

First 23456 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Here's a counter to the hypothesis that lack of money results in thriftiness: A lot of poor people become used to spending money as soon as possible as a matter of necessity, and should they receive a great deal of excess money (say, by winning the lottery) the habit tends to stick around.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

You assume that people are poor because they don't have much money in the first place. I could just as easily say that poor people are poor because of how they spend the money they have.

I'm amazed at how difficult it is for some people to grasp the idea behind encouraging a 15-year-old to get a job in order to learn "the value of money". Just baffling to me. I feel like I'm not in on some joke.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    You assume that people are poor because they don't have much money in the first place. I could just as easily say that poor people are poor because of how they spend the money they have.

I'm amazed at how difficult it is for some people to grasp the idea behind encouraging a 15-year-old to get a job in order to learn "the value of money". Just baffling to me. I feel like I'm not in on some joke.
    What is wrong with you? You don't know more about him than me and you know nothing about me so if you don't get the purpose of this thread then just stay out if it.

Before I leave can I ask you a question? How did you learn the value of money?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I can't remember ever not knowing the value of money and the purpose of work. Making money and spending it did not make it feel any more special. But I am not suggesting that the guy in the OP is like me.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    But that's a ripe age where money starts to be viable to you. Cars, drivers training, prepping for college, trips to the beach, etc. You really ought to learn the value of money loooong before the age of 15. You start to learn how much people work to get that money at 15.
    Maybe he was learning the value of time and the value of independence more than anything.
    Just a thought I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Here's a counter to the hypothesis that lack of money results in thriftiness: A lot of poor people become used to spending money as soon as possible as a matter of necessity, and should they receive a great deal of excess money (say, by winning the lottery) the habit tends to stick around.
    Yep that does happen sometimes. I never suggested that a lack of money always results in thriftiness though. I have seen both.
    Do you think that his father was perhaps trying to teach him how to be thrifty?
    If so, ironically, he ended up racking up a lot of debt through credit, so I don't think that worked.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I heard that (referring directly to the opening OP) and experienced it since I was a child. From what I gathered, as no one expounded to me either except in dropped comments here and there, it was to encourage independence, a sense of accomplishment, how to spend wisely because you're forced to work within a budget, and to get used to earning when a mind is still in its molding years so that earning later isn't such a shock to the system, and to hopefully keep them from taking others for granted and avoiding that dangerous slippery slope of unearned or unwarranted entitlement.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I can't remember ever not knowing the value of money and the purpose of work. Making money and spending it did not make it feel any more special. But I am not suggesting that the guy in the OP is like me.
    When did your parents stop paying your way through life?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    When did your parents stop paying your way through life?
    I got my first job when I was 15 and I lived with my parents until two months after HS graduation when I was 18.

So what would your parents have done if you hadn't gotten that first job at age 15 on your own intiative?