• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who believes in Angels?

Lark

I was watching Hugh Laurie on a tour of the US around big blues sites, he really digs that scene, anyway he said that the US and UK differ by about five percent, that in most things the US was five percent more grilled cheese or whatever but that when it came to religion the US was 3000 percent more. To give an example he said people in the US believe in angels, he said that you'd have to work pretty hard to find someone in the UK who believed in angels, that it wouldnt be in the same street as you anyway.

So that had me wondering two things, first of all, do you believe in angels? Second, is that the most implausible thing about Christianity or religion and if it isnt what is in your opinion?

unnamed

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
They are more like fictional characters.I like Lucifer.

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Angels and lucifer and very hard for me to accept. generally I think of them basically as visual aids for humanity. personifications of universal forces. But I guess I would say yes I believe in them.

The most implausible thing about christianity? I always have trouble with the idea of hearing the voice of god. Though I have been working on it.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Second, is that the most implausible thing about Christianity or religion and if it isnt what is in your opinion?

christianity-demotivational-poster.gif

W

WALMART

No. I believe Americans are afraid to explore that they are not believers, a bit like Pascal's Wager running through inherently at our cores.

I

Infinite Bubble

I believe angels as metaphorical representations of concepts that have ultimately more importance than them. I do not believe that they concretely exist in reality.

And the most implausible thing about religion is the fact that it is supposed to be plausible.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe in angels, but I also believe they are very far away from us. They are far beyond our level of development, and it may take some work to reach them.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think I do believe in them, but it's kind of more of a theoretical thing because I don't think humans consciously interact with them hardly ever. I believe in fallen angels/demons more, sadly. But that's probably because I went to churches that tried to cast them out of people when I was growing up.

Mole

Permabanned
The Voice of God

I always have trouble with the idea of hearing the voice of god. Though I have been working on it.

It's fascinating that in his book, "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", Julian Jaynes says that as little as three thousand years ago, we heard the voice of God. That the voice of God was heard by one side of the bicameral mind listening to the other side. And he says that social, cultural and technological developments led to the breakdown of the bicameral mind, and so, for most of us, the voice of God fell silent.

But still this vestigial capacity remains with us in schizophrenia where we hear voices, and sometimes the voice of God.

This has interesting implications in that the Fall from the Garden of Eden may be synonymous with the voice of God falling silent.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dont wouldnt really believe in "angels" the way Christians or Muslims do.

I dont know though.

Lark

It's fascinating that in his book, "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", Julian Jaynes says that as little as three thousand years ago, we heard the voice of God. That the voice of God was heard by one side of the bicameral mind listening to the other side. And he says that social, cultural and technological developments led to the breakdown of the bicameral mind, and so, for most of us, the voice of God fell silent.

But still this vestigial capacity remains with us in schizophrenia where we hear voices, and sometimes the voice of God.

This has interesting implications in that the Fall from the Garden of Eden may be synonymous with the voice of God falling silent.

You know that Jaynes theory isnt even popular with prominant anti-theists anymore right?

Schizophrenia, so far as I know, is full spectrum delusions, not simply imagined voices or intrusive thoughts which do not appear to the person experiencing them to be their own, that's only one minor observation about what is wrong with what you wrote.

Mole

Permabanned
You know that Jaynes theory isnt even popular with prominant anti-theists anymore right?

Schizophrenia, so far as I know, is full spectrum delusions, not simply imagined voices or intrusive thoughts which do not appear to the person experiencing them to be their own, that's only one minor observation about what is wrong with what you wrote.

Here is an introduction to Julian Jaynes, click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvTDlS44fE

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Look down, Aquarelle, and see the four pawed angels at your feet, not to mention your guardian angel, your insignificant other (IO).

Well, my dogs good boys, but they aren't exactly angels. :laugh: But I'll go with it for my IO :)

Lark

Here is an introduction to Julian Jaynes, click on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvTDlS44fE

I dont need an introduction as I've read all his books, I was introduced to him by another author, a psychologist who wrote in the same vane as Wilhelm Reich and it was in a book called The Fear of Living or something like that.

Jaynes is just one in a long line of simplistic and reductive reckonings of "its all in the mind, and its a delusion" school of thinking.