User Tag List

12311 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Who believes in Angels?

I was watching Hugh Laurie on a tour of the US around big blues sites, he really digs that scene, anyway he said that the US and UK differ by about five percent, that in most things the US was five percent more grilled cheese or whatever but that when it came to religion the US was 3000 percent more. To give an example he said people in the US believe in angels, he said that you'd have to work pretty hard to find someone in the UK who believed in angels, that it wouldnt be in the same street as you anyway.

So that had me wondering two things, first of all, do you believe in angels? Second, is that the most implausible thing about Christianity or religion and if it isnt what is in your opinion?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

They are more like fictional characters.I like Lucifer.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Angels and lucifer and very hard for me to accept. generally I think of them basically as visual aids for humanity. personifications of universal forces. But I guess I would say yes I believe in them.

The most implausible thing about christianity? I always have trouble with the idea of hearing the voice of god. Though I have been working on it.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Second, is that the most implausible thing about Christianity or religion and if it isnt what is in your opinion?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

WALMART

No. I believe Americans are afraid to explore that they are not believers, a bit like Pascal's Wager running through inherently at our cores.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Everything exists.

Infinite Bubble

I believe angels as metaphorical representations of concepts that have ultimately more importance than them. I do not believe that they concretely exist in reality.

And the most implausible thing about religion is the fact that it is supposed to be plausible.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I believe in angels, but I also believe they are very far away from us. They are far beyond our level of development, and it may take some work to reach them.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think I do believe in them, but it's kind of more of a theoretical thing because I don't think humans consciously interact with them hardly ever. I believe in fallen angels/demons more, sadly. But that's probably because I went to churches that tried to cast them out of people when I was growing up.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

The Voice of God

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I always have trouble with the idea of hearing the voice of god. Though I have been working on it.
    It's fascinating that in his book, "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", Julian Jaynes says that as little as three thousand years ago, we heard the voice of God. That the voice of God was heard by one side of the bicameral mind listening to the other side. And he says that social, cultural and technological developments led to the breakdown of the bicameral mind, and so, for most of us, the voice of God fell silent.

But still this vestigial capacity remains with us in schizophrenia where we hear voices, and sometimes the voice of God.

This has interesting implications in that the Fall from the Garden of Eden may be synonymous with the voice of God falling silent.