User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I was watching Hugh Laurie on a tour of the US around big blues sites, he really digs that scene, anyway he said that the US and UK differ by about five percent, that in most things the US was five percent more grilled cheese or whatever but that when it came to religion the US was 3000 percent more. To give an example he said people in the US believe in angels, he said that you'd have to work pretty hard to find someone in the UK who believed in angels, that it wouldnt be in the same street as you anyway.

So that had me wondering two things, first of all, do you believe in angels? Second, is that the most implausible thing about Christianity or religion and if it isnt what is in your opinion?
    Thank GOD the English have sense then. I'm English, and do not believe angels exist. Neither do any of my friends at college.

Not really. The idea that God would have human qualities like emotions and reason.

Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    Thank GOD the English have sense then. I'm English, and do not believe angels exist. Neither do any of my friends at college.

Not really. The idea that God would have human qualities like emotions and reason.

“England has two books, the Bible and Shakespeare. England made Shakespeare,but the Bible made England.”
    ― Victor Hugo

What will become of that wonderful island now that the England that made Shakespeare is gone?
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Yeah, it's called Limbo. It's where unbaptised babies go. But get this! After centuries of Limbo, a few years ago the Vatican abolished Limbo!

And what I want to know is, what happened to all the babies?
    Maybe they moved on to musical chairs or charades?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    “England has two books, the Bible and Shakespeare. England made Shakespeare,but the Bible made England.”
    ― Victor Hugo

What will become of that wonderful island now that the England that made Shakespeare is gone?
    It's much better now than in Shakespeare's time. The Bible is a masterpiece of ancient literature (esp. the Jewish Old Testament), but it doesn't mean it's true... Harry Potter is an even better book.

Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    The Bible is a masterpiece of ancient literature... Harry Potter is an even better book.
    The only level on which that could be true is on a level of pure amusement. You are clearly not better off then people in the 16th century if you primarily judge a book by its level of amusement. I don't care how many more conveniences you have. If you can't properly evaluate literature you are poor and have very little indeed.
    Last edited by Beorn; 05-14-2013 at 10:09 PM. Reason: better wording
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

The only level on which that could be true is on a level of pure amusement. You are clearly not better off then people in the 16th century if you only judge a book by its level of amusement. I don't care how many more conveniences you have. If you can't properly evaluate literature you are poor and have very little indeed.
    The characters are much more developed in H.P. and it therefore gives a much deeper insight into the human psyche. Also, the intercharacter relationships are brilliantly done, whereas they suck in the Bible.

From an entertainment perspective, H.P. is much more enjoyable and moving.

From a plot perspective, H.P. is at times running with similar themes, but it does it in a much more skillful and intelligent way.

H.P. is not giving any claims that it believes are real, whereas the Bible actually asks you to believe in demons, angels, vampires, gods, and prophets with no evidence or reason to back them up. (Personally, I don't think the original thinkers intended this at all, but I seem to be a minority there).

Why do you think The Bible is better? Just because it's older and has more respect due to tradition? Storytelling's evolved. Live with it.

The only level on which that could be true is on a level of pure amusement. You are clearly not better off then people in the 16th century if you only judge a book by its level of amusement. I don't care how many more conveniences you have. If you can't properly evaluate literature you are poor and have very little indeed.
    I never said I was! Fiction has always been about cool stories, characters, and entertainment. If you want to learn anything read non-fiction (the Bible is between the two types, being a kind of collection of philosophical/spiritual short fiction stories - the only parts worth reading anyway).

Society

@En Gallop - i'd disagree - have you ever read God: A Biography by Jack Miles ? it's really well thought out experiment of analyzing god as a literature character.

i also think it a step further from the book, and say i find it extremely relevant to what you see with fiction today: for way too long every piece of fiction have being done by one author's vision, but now through team projects like computer gaming or long standing tv shows, you have an emerging story format of spaghetti fiction - many many little strands of plots made by many authors tied together in a loose ball. within that genre, the bible sort of represents the biggest piece of storytelling spaghetti of all times, with a hundred tie-ins to other mythologies. the demanding mentality of viewing the bible as an integrated piece pushes the literature culture altogether and gave us amazing literary devices, the world of harry potter is very much built on that heritage, a one's author's vision on a spaghetti ball of anything that can constitute magic. in itself harry potter doesn't quite deliver anything original in what it did do, only in what it didn't do. essentially its stand entirely on it's processors shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    @En Gallop - i'd disagree - have you ever read God: A Biography by Jack Miles ? it's really well thought out experiment of analyzing god as a literature character.

i also think it a step further from the book, and say i find it extremely relevant to what you see with fiction today: for way too long every piece of fiction have being done by one author's vision, but now through team projects like computer gaming or long standing tv shows, you have an emerging story format of spaghetti fiction - many many little strands of plots made by many authors tied together in a loose ball. within that genre, the bible sort of represents the biggest piece of storytelling spaghetti of all times, with a hundred tie-ins to other mythologies. the demanding mentality of viewing the bible as an integrated piece pushes the literature culture altogether and gave us amazing literary devices, the world of harry potter is very much built on that heritage, a one's author's vision on a spaghetti ball of anything that can constitute magic. in itself harry potter doesn't quite deliver anything original in what it did do, only in what it didn't do. essentially its stand entirely on it's processors shoulders.
    Well to be honest trying to evaluate art and literature is a pretty pointless thing to do. All it ever comes down to is personal feelings. And mine tell me that I prefer Harry Potter. I also prefer many other books. You'll like different ones. Objectively speaking, all books are just words on paper with no "worth" whatever. So what?

JK Rowling's work isn't so original. But neither was the Bible. Originality has nothing to do with the quality of a work of fiction. It helps, but there are other more important things - like the author's ability to tell a good story. Jane Austen was one of the least original writers you can think of - yet she was still great.

Btw for a better ancient "spaghetti" book read the Arabian Nights. Far superior to the Bible in every way!

On another note, almost all the best stories are written by a single author following their vision. Usually when a team of writers write something it's either only occasionally good and mainly average (like Doctor Who), or complete junk.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

― Victor Hugo

It is an athiest country now, with large ethnic minority enclaves of fundamentalist middle eastern inclinations.

It will be intresting to see the outcome of this "experiment", like other ones presently taking place elsewhere like the US, I believe their outcome will be as unfortunate as previous well intended attempts to make the world anew after the fashion of the time.