User Tag List

First 31112131415 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 176

  1. #121
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    I cannot criticise your beliefs on ethical standards, but I CAN on the grounds that they are plain stupid. Reason exists. Your complete lack of any argument to defend your position other than "Ooooo look, isn't murder just soo BAD!" is laughable. Murder is neither bad nor good, conceptually. Whether it's logically/emotionally justifiable will depend on the specific situation.

    I still have emotions like everyone else; I just realise they're a sort of illusion. To call me an animal is just uncalled for really, I don't know why you said that. I'm no more or less of an animal than you are.



    I know you told me you weren't a troll, but I really think you are. You're not interested in having an actual reasonable conversation with me, but just to insult me based on my philosophical perspectives. What's that all about?
    He didn't call you an animal. He's just illustrating what he believes happens when you carry the philosophy you've stated here to its logical end. He would only be calling you an animal if he thinks your philosophy is true, which he doesn't. He's trying to illustrate that you do have a sense of morality despite denying it.

  2. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Worldview plays some role in how society is structured and how individuals act. However, in my view despite what other people might believe I think everyone is a human endowed with a certain sense of right and wrong. So even if you don't have a reason for believing in right and wrong you can't escape your own sense of it. This is why I think En Gallop doesn't want to be thought of as a murderer. It's not just a matter cultural conditioning.
    My question would be if it is a matter of cultural conditioning then were did culture come from?

    The way in which culture or memes operate in athiest theory, whether its God, Morality or any other human experience which they are choosing to deny is even more inexplicable, unexplainable and magical than anything at all existing in religion or mythology or any tradition what so ever.

    I actually think fair play to you for carrying on the discussion Beorn because the majority of those posts just give me a headache, it'd be a different matter if the questions wherent rhetorical and if there were any questions being posed, instead its the bold assertion of "we've got all the answers" and all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, wrong.

  3. #123
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Worldview plays some role in how society is structured and how individuals act. However, in my view despite what other people might believe I think everyone is a human endowed with a certain sense of right and wrong. So even if you don't have a reason for believing in right and wrong you can't escape your own sense of it. This is why I think En Gallop doesn't want to be thought of as a murderer. It's not just a matter cultural conditioning.
    I've already said that we can't escape our own emotional reactions to things. This sense of "Right" you have is just a feeling. Prove it says something about an action.

  4. #124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    All you need to do is tell me why I'm wrong. Shouldn't be so difficult if you're so darn sure.

    Thanks. The most unreasonable person on the forum.
    See my post to beorn.

  5. #125
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    My question would be if it is a matter of cultural conditioning then were did culture come from?

    The way in which culture or memes operate in athiest theory, whether its God, Morality or any other human experience which they are choosing to deny is even more inexplicable, unexplainable and magical than anything at all existing in religion or mythology or any tradition what so ever.

    I actually think fair play to you for carrying on the discussion Beorn because the majority of those posts just give me a headache, it'd be a different matter if the questions wherent rhetorical and if there were any questions being posed, instead its the bold assertion of "we've got all the answers" and all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, wrong.
    Well where did she say that she has all the answers and that all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, and wrong?

  6. #126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    Well where did she say that she has all the answers and that all dissenting opinion is irrational, false, and wrong?
    It's marked #0 because it comes after #119, although its implied in a lot of posts before that.

  7. #127
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It's marked #0 because it comes after #119, although its implied in a lot of posts before that.
    She said you were "the most unreasonable person" on the forum, and I see that as unfair, but only after you were pretty harsh towards her as well. Not that its the end of the world for anyone or anything. Just sayin.

  8. #128
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    She said you were "the most unreasonable person" on the forum, and I see that as unfair, but only after you were pretty harsh towards her as well. Not that its the end of the world for anyone or anything. Just sayin.
    I was talking about Victor. Lark isn't that bad in comparison.

  9. #129
    reflecting pool Typh0n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    3,090

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    I was talking about Victor. Lark isn't that bad in comparison.
    So its not all as bitter as I thought.

  10. #130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    She said you were "the most unreasonable person" on the forum, and I see that as unfair, but only after you were pretty harsh towards her as well. Not that its the end of the world for anyone or anything. Just sayin.
    I think you're playing semantics but as you say its not important in the grand scheme of things.

Similar Threads

  1. "I’m a Presbyterian Minister Who Doesn’t Believe in God"
    By Z Buck McFate in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-08-2016, 12:23 PM
  2. For those who believe in objective morality
    By run in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM
  3. For those who believe in spirit/soul...
    By Little Linguist in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-16-2008, 09:17 AM
  4. Do you believe in natural rights?
    By Kiddo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
  5. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO