User Tag List

12 Last

Society

Default the Flynn effect vs. Idiocracy

the theory that lacking much in terms of natural selection, our intelligence should be going down
    vs.
    the statistical evidence that the components of intelligence measured by IQ have been increasing.

discuss.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    the theory that lacking much in terms of natural selection, our intelligence should be going down
    vs.
    the statistical evidence that the components of intelligence measured by IQ have been increasing.

discuss.
    actually the increase was mainly in the fluid intelligence(problem solving) and not so much in crystallized intelligence (math and other learned areas), i think we only adapted to constant evolution but not became "smarter"

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    actually the increase was mainly in the fluid intelligence(problem solving)
    but why? there's no force in human society to increase/decrease your reproduction rate based on your problem solving capacity - in fact the lower our standards get in all evaluations, the more children we are likely to end up having, and with the protection of society, chances are they are just as likely of reaching reproduction age themselves as anyone else.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

problem solving because the lower the crystallized g, the more issues appear in life matters and dealing with life events, thus, higher fluid intelligence,
    also as a pro, genetic material that diversifies intensely, a more complex political and social environment and more access to education contributed to both types of intelligence,
    would you care to explain idiocracy?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If idiocracy is like the movie it means that people with a higher intelligence do have in average statistics less childs. While people with a lower intelligence do have more childs. So statistics would favor the intelligent to eventually die out.

I dont think that works tho, cause mavericks do happen even in low intelligence couples. You cant surely predict the IQ of newborns, only their upbringing (intelligent kids tho often have the needed independence to transcend their upbringings).
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Environment has a significant impact on intelligence. The longer I live the more plastic potential seems - each individual has far more potential than there is time and energy to develop.

Deprivation of basic resources can also damage intelligence terribly, including malnutrition during pregnancy.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    Environment has a significant impact on intelligence. The longer I live the more plastic potential seems - each individual has
    This is very true. Especially since most jobs are a no-brainer but leave you no time or energy besides them. That lets you really become dumber over time.

This definitly a conspiracy theory by the illuminati, who try to prevent people from becoming more intelligent and develop power hungry tendencies.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I would highly doubt that humans will get much smarter on average.
    We have a brain case of a certain size, and it's full, so unless there is pressure of the right kind and intensity to create a bigger case, there is no possibility of dramatically higher intelligence.
    Therefore the only option is for our existing physiological processes to change, and thereby become faster. But what pressure could create that?
    Maybe the increase in fluid intelligence is the beginning of this process...?

It is proved that modern technology creating great effects on human brain memory.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Scheherezade View Post
    would you care to explain idiocracy?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I would highly doubt that humans will get much smarter on average.

http://curiosity.discovery.com/quest...s-flynn-effect