User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is God Evil? Can we overthrow him?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • God is Evil and cannot be overthrown.

1 6.25%
  • God is Good and cannot be overthrown.

7 43.75%
  • God is Evil and can be overthrown.

6 37.50%
  • God is Good and can be overthrown.

2 12.50%
First 1234 Last

Silly mortal. You can't overthrow God. Your only option is for us to collectively ignore him and make him irrelevant.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1776920
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    does God love you? If yes, then he is "good". If no, then he is "evil".
    What if God neither loves nor hates? I think he should be in a state of neutrality. And what if God loves all the criminals too - who is to decide that they shouldn't be loved also; us, lowly humans?

I honestly have no freaking clue how to visualize God, but I believe him to be some kind willpower force.
    There are a couple of ways I visualize his existence: As the universe itself, as in a pantheistic view. Another is an "ethereal" (hate using that word) substance that underlies all of existence, that is neither a form of life nor an inanimate object; something above either that is beyond our comprehension.

His greatest sin of all was, as @jontherobot said somewhere else, was creating the universe, because look at all of the bad junk in our world.
    With no bad there is no good.

Quote Originally Posted by En Gallop View Post
    I don't agree that Good and Evil actually exist.
    Morality exists conceptually, but it is very subjective; a Human survival trait. But you're correct, objectively speaking there is no good or evil. Only in our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    If that's the route you're going to take one would think book burnings would be more efficient.
    Yes, but it arouses all the wrong associations. Instead of cleansing, I choose cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post

Morality exists conceptually, but it is very subjective; a Human survival trait. But you're correct, objectively speaking there is no good or evil. Only in our minds.
    Personally, I find the whole idea of morality - in the sense of "This is TRULY Right, or TRULY Wrong" - to be totally unfathomable. I just don't understand why most people can't SEE that.

Morality is basically a list of behaviours a certain society/group has found agreeable/disagreeable over time. Nothing more. If more people would understand that, and not stick to the other interpretation, we might actually be able to make ethics make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    I'm not treating this discussion that seriously, so the definitions are loose and open to your own personal interpretation. Good and evil is indeed very subjective, but just think about it this way: does God love you? If yes, then he is "good". If no, then he is "evil". Also, by God I mean the mind that created and controls this universe, kind of like what @Infinite Bubble described. I honestly have no freaking clue how to visualize God, but I believe him to be some kind willpower force. His greatest sin of all was, as @jontherobot said somewhere else, was creating the universe, because look at all of the bad junk in our world. This God is the spawn of evil! It is only logical then that he must be replaced, and to do so, we need to hack his creation, kind of like how a computer virus can destroy a computer (we are the viruses).

If it is not true it is very well invented.
    I find it hard to understand why a god would have emotions or a lust for domination, so I can't answer that either haha.

I don't see how it's possible to "overthrow" a non-physical entity?

Surely a god would be an IT rather than a HE? Why would a god have a gender?

Personally, I find the whole idea of morality - in the sense of "This is TRULY Right, or TRULY Wrong" - to be totally unfathomable. I just don't understand why most people can't SEE that.
    Well, it's not wrong if they don't...
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Yes, but it arouses all the wrong associations. Instead of cleansing, I choose cleaning.
    Please enlighten me as to what you see as the distinction.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I find it hard to understand why a god would have emotions or a lust for domination, so I can't answer that either haha.
    If "it" feels nothing then it's experience of creation will not be joyous. Surely the Force has an ultimate purpose to realize, even if it uses evil means to achieve those ends. A life with no joy and no purpose to me is no life at all.

I don't see how it's possible to "overthrow" a non-physical entity?
    This isn't based on political power structures; this is a question of which force of will has the power to control its own fate.

Surely a god would be an IT rather than a HE? Why would a god have a gender?
    Yes, he could also also be called an it (notive how I used the term "it" earlier).

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    What if God neither loves nor hates? I think he should be in a state of neutrality. And what if God loves all the criminals too - who is to decide that they shouldn't be loved also; us, lowly humans?
    If he doesn't love us he doesn't necessarily need to hate us, but I tend toward the position that he's somewhere between being neutral to us and hating us. I also think God should love everybody, but that doesn't mean he needs to give them the same rewards.

There are a couple of ways I visualize his existence: As the universe itself, as in a pantheistic view. Another is an "ethereal" (hate using that word) substance that underlies all of existence, that is neither a form of life nor an inanimate object; something above either that is beyond our comprehension.
    I could see this, God being a quality manifested in creation, expressing his diverse attributes. He must have a lot of bad attributes though if this is completely the case.

With no bad there is no good.
    It helps us to see the difference, and the bad can also refine us, so you may have a point there.

Yes, it's very much related to what you desire inside, what your life purpose and joy is, like I said a post earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Well, it's not wrong if they don't...
    It is wrong from a factual perspective - but maybe "incorrect" is a better word.