• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you integrate your spirituality into daily life?

Lark

I read a quote from Bill Gates about religion today talking about how important time is to him and that he couldnt spare his time on a sunday morning or could do something better with it than go to church, I kind of think that if you've ghettoised or confined your religious observance to a single hour of a single day of the week then you're not getting it.

Mole

Permabanned
The Bus Stop

I integrate my spirituality in my daily life at the bus stop.

While everyone else is waiting for godot, I start my walking meditation, up and down at the bus stop.

When I am walking, I am going somewhere. I have a physical destination. But when I am doing my walking meditation, I am just walking up and down in the same spot and going nowhere physical.

So when I am doing my walking meditation, I am going nowhere physical, rather I am going somewhere on the inside or somewhere spiritually.

As I walk and meditate, I can feel myself changing. I feel almost immediately more relaxed; I start to notice beauty of the trees; I start to notice the patterns around me; I start to feel pleasure; I like the people around me; and I become humourous.

And when I get on the bus, not only the bus driver responds to my good humour, but I get smiles from my fellow travellers.

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w5
I practice mindfulness in whatever I'm doing at the moment. I also meditate to still my mind. Communing with nature, becoming one with it,

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I find spirituality to be an exceptionally vague concept. It seems to describe, in a very rational way, a broad spectrum of not-particularly-rational experiences. Their lack of rationality seems to be a large part of what makes them spiritual; they entail an immediate, unquestioning apprehension of reality. That's about all that the ever popular experience of "oneness" amounts to, really: a turning off of the rational faculties without there being a loss of awareness.

Well, of course, I know what it is to have a credulous awareness of reality, and I'm very fond of having a credulous awareness of reality. A cobweb of rationales can be swept away by the tiniest gust of wind, whereas immediate reality, to the extent that it is immediate reality at all, insists on being what it is. I find that pleasant, because it allows me to turn beliefs into a little game; beliefs are like playthings to me.

I don't think that there's anything very spiritual about that, though. I'm an atheist, so you'd expect me to be raving about how glorious the universe is and how I get a sense of "God" from gazing upon it. But I think the universe is mostly a very dull place, and feel very little attachment to anything in it. All I really care about is the possibility of space aliens.

I think that what's spiritual about my lifestyle is the fact that I do things like roll the bad luck out of a die before it's time to put the die to serious use. Anyone who studies mathematical probability (which I don't, thankfully; I believe I'd die of boredom) would scoff at that practice, but it's something I believe in; it gives me a feeling that I'm directing some sort of intangible power. I feel that intangible power right in my chest, a sort of glowing warmth, and at the same time, I imagine a patch of peach-like colors. If that isn't spiritual, then I don't know what is. (On a side note, strange things are always happening with dice when I'm involved. I recently played Monopoly with someone, and neither of us could stop rolling doubles; he said it was first time he had ever seen anything like it.)

Mole

Permabanned
I find spirituality to be an exceptionally vague concept.

Perhaps spirituality may be described as becoming aware of our quicksilver psyche.

So as we take our attention from the outside world, we become attentive to our inner world, or our psyche. All the time remembering that 'psyche' is Ancient Greek for 'soul".

So by focusing our attention, we can attend to the outside world or we can attend to our soul. Both are important.

But when we attend to our inside world, our soul loves us.