• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler

W

WALMART

The Charlie Brown and Franz Stigler incident occurred on 20 December 1943, when, after a successful bomb run on Bremen, Charles ‘Charlie’ Brown’s B-17 Flying Fortress (named "Ye Olde Pub") was severely damaged by German fighters. Luftwaffe pilot and ace Franz Stigler had an opportunity to shoot down the crippled bomber, but instead, for humanitarian reasons, decided to allow the crew to fly back to their airfield in England. The two pilots met each other 40 years later after the extensive search by Charlie Brown and the friendship that the two developed lasted until their deaths.

I've once read of a story, how in World War I on Christmas day British and German troops walked out across no man's land and exchanged gifts of chocolate on the open field they'd just earlier been warring over, often handing each other things across the barbed wire that separated them (THEY EVEN PLAYED FOOTBALL AGAINST EACH OTHER).

I've also read the brutality leveled in war against the enemy is highly relative to each soldier's individual ability to relate to those they are fighting: on the European front, soldiers' journal entries are often somber and somewhat remorseful they are having to kill fellow men for some simple political scheming. However, entries on the Pacific front show aggression and necessity, often vilifying the traits the enemy combatants possess.

How is this all related? I don't know. I've been watching clips from the Syrian civil war and it's got my mind churning. I guess the plight of men can really get to me. I thought I'd have more to say about this once I got here, or an opinion to express, but I really don't.

Thoughts?