User Tag List

123 Last

Society

Post when hitler helped an old lady across the street (ethics)

its a thought i've been toying with, probably has happened at some point but that's besides the point...

what does the statement says to you? what meaning would you derive from it?

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

And maybe Gandhi has been awfully rude towards that old lady?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    And maybe Gandhi has been awfully rude towards that old lady?
    he was a total shmock - stole her purse and run away.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Since I'm an Fi dom my thinking isn't that black and white, anyway. Hitler was a very ethical man, he believed he was doing the right thing for Germany, and many people described him as being a good host, even being a fatherly figure, and he had the social charisma of an Fe type.

So the statement means very little. I think people who divide people into bad and good in that extreme probably are not ethically very mature themselves, but I could be wrong, I'm not sure why people wouldn't recognize Hitler as ethical though he did something horrifying.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Any person's life is full of things that have positive consequences and negative consequences. If you're going to assess a person's entire life, you have to weigh out all those consequences in entirety. In that scheme, Hitler's acts of courtesy don't stand very tall, do they?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

The old lady must've looked 'Aryan'.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Since I'm an Fi dom my thinking isn't that black and white, anyway. Hitler was a very ethical man, he believed he was doing the right thing for Germany, and many people described him as being a good host, even being a fatherly figure, and he had the social charisma of an Fe type.

So the statement means very little. I think people who divide people into bad and good in that extreme probably are not ethically very mature themselves, but I could be wrong, I'm not sure why people wouldn't recognize Hitler as ethical though he did something horrifying.
    I think the reason why Hitler is viewed as the epitome of evil in our society is partly becuase of what he did, and partly becuase of WWII propaganda such as Lewis Spence's book The Occult Causes of the present war which contains chapters such as "The Satanic element in Nazism", "The Satanic Power in old Germany", The Satanic Power in Modern Germany" and "Nazism and Satanism". What he did(extermination of people based on race) was indeed horrible but others such as Pol Pot have done the same thing, without turning into an epitome of evil in a symbolic sense. In A psychological Profile of Adolf Hitler: His life and Legend Walter C. Langer even describes Hitler himself as seeing himself on a mission to become immortal in the minds of men, to exist as a sort of symbol of evil in the their minds. Surely, this diabolzation of Hitler, on a symbolic level is something he reveled in himself but only time will tell if the image will last.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Typh0n View Post
    I think the reason why Hitler is viewed as the epitome of evil in our society is partly becuase of what he did, and partly becuase of WWII propaganda such as Lewis Spence's book The Occult Causes of the present war which contains chapters such as "The Satanic element in Nazism", "The Satanic Power in old Germany", The Satanic Power in Modern Germany" and "Nazism and Satanism". What he did(extermination of people based on race) was indeed horrible but others such as Pol Pot have done the same thing, without turning into an epitome of evil in a symbolic sense. In A psychological Profile of Adolf Hitler: His life and Legend Walter C. Langer even describes Hitler himself as seeing himself on a mission to become immortal in the minds of men, to exist as a sort of symbol of evil in the their minds. Surely, this diabolzation of Hitler, on a symbolic level is something he reveled in himself but only time will tell if the image will last.
    I think it's an over-simplified Si symbol, honestly. Like Jung said that the Si type sometimes can't tell the difference between the object and the symbol. I think that's what goes on with Hitler.

So maybe it's not Fi that allows me to see it, maybe it's Ni, but I'm really not sure how any educated person who has actually studied Hitler would not realize that he thought he was on an ethical mission, and that people found him very warm and paternalistic.

That actually seems more like Se or Te. Okay, the facts are there kids.

It's like when you talk about how horrible x or y is morally, and people come back with the automated response "but that's not as bad as racism!"

I'm just like

K.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Like Jung said that the Si type sometimes can't tell the difference between the object and the symbol.
    you're right - at least here - i am using hitler as a symbol - to instigate a philosophical debate, not hitler as a person to instigate an historical debate. that's why i put the "(ethics)" in the title.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I keep having this problem. I keep taking everything literally. Hitler. Nuclear war.

Just steer me over to the current events and cultural discussions. Thanks.