morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

It's childish, and has no value for me.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I think people are supposed to expect good things to happen to people whom they like; (proportionally) bad things to people whom they dislike; and neutral things to people whom they are neutral towards.

That's the bare minimum. Below that, I wouldn't want to associate myself with said person, and above that seems somewhat illogical.

On a side note, having a word for that seems pretty desensitizing.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

RDF

"Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him." (Proverbs 24:17–18, King James Version).

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    You mean hiding it is good and showing it (through laughter) bad?
    oh gosh I only realized the dodgy grammar in that post now that you quoted it. Well yeah, I mean, say if you see somebody suffer a misfortune maybe it's not the best time to laugh even if you want to..it's a bit of an oversimplification but i'm just making a point. The most important thing to consider is whether your action will hurt the person's feelings unnecessarily and if the answer is yes then it's best to not do it.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

Junior Member Idealistforthefuture's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w8

As an INFJ personally I think its rather scary actually only because even if someone has wronged you, enjoying when they are wronged back isn't recompense.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

Aren't there really two types of Schaedenfreude - personal and impersonal.

In the case of impersonal we aren't so much laughing at the person so much as laughing at the situation. After all we don't even know the person. If we subsequently discover that the situation has caused some real harm to the recipient then our impersonal schaedenfreude usually turns to sympathy and we very quickly stop laughing and feel bad about ourselves. Don't we? Well I do anyway.

Personal schaedenfreude is directed at someone you know and is usually the result of some sort of envy or revenge. It is quite different from the above. We aren't all saints. It's a perfectly natural human reaction but, as @Giggly says, you usually have second thoughts quite quickly because you know it isn't adult behaviour.

We are indeed hardwired in certain ways. Sometimes our hardwiring leads to a conflict of interest.
    I'd say the need to distinguish between each type of Schaedenfreude is strong enough to justify using different words for each.
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

What do you think of it? Is it okay, dirty, childish, serene?
    As a word, I quite like it. I'm rather partial to German precision. I just bought a Miele vacuum cleaner and it sucks dirt like a mofo. I'm not so enamoured with the Nazi salute though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Idealistforthefuture View Post
    As an INFJ personally I think its rather scary actually only because even if someone has wronged you, enjoying when they are wronged back isn't recompense.
    As an INFJ too, I think it is pretty healthy.

What do you think of it? Is it okay, dirty, childish, serene?
    I think that in part it is relief that something bad is happening to someone else and not me.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think that in part it is relief that something bad is happening to someone else and not me.
    I can see why that would be a relief
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]