• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?"

In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?

• Total voters
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yes, absolutely, 100% yes. It would be exciting to see how it actually played out, and how accurate our predictions of it were. I think there is an excitement about seeing any hypothetical on that big a scale played out. That's why people like zombies and disaster movies. It doesn't have anything to do with actually wishing that thing would happen. I would venture to guess that exactly zero percent of people responding "yes" actually want a nuclear war to happen.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Personally, I don't get appalled that easily. Also, I find your linear perspective to be extremely immature, so I guess we're even.

Boredom is a powerful motivator.

Oh yes it's immature to be realistic about what nuclear war would actually BE LIKE. It's immature to be realistic. Your thread might as well say "wouldn't being in a concentration camp be exciting in a certain light?"

I'm usually open minded, but this is just so UNDERTHOUGHT on your part, really.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Here's what happens guys. Innocent people die.

Within the first two to four months of the bombings, the acute effects killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 60,000–80,000 in Nagasaki, with roughly half of the deaths in each city occurring on the first day. The Hiroshima prefecture health department estimated that, of the people who died on the day of the explosion, 60% died from flash or flame burns, 30% from falling debris and 10% from other causes. During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness. In a US estimate of the total immediate and short term cause of death, 15–20% died from radiation sickness, 20–30% from burns, and 50–60% from other injuries, compounded by illness. In both cities, most of the dead were civilians, although Hiroshima had a sizeable garrison.

And here's what happens just from a relatively small amount of nuclear fall-out.

No need to wonder "how it would play out."

MBTI Type
INTJ
Quit persisting in the illusion that people who answer yes WANT this to happen or are sociopaths that don't understand the destruction that would ensue. No one is espousing the viewpoint that you're railing against.

Lark

Taken from OkCupid!

Wanted to know what goes through people's mind when they answer this question.

Ten Foot Letters FUCK NO.

In the name of Christ what has happened and what kind of a messed up confusion between make believe X-Box live and real life has taken place that anyone could possibly say that?

War is something which I could not think of ever as "exciting", it is not a game, nuclear war is and was something which was properly looked upon as annihilation and the heat death or slow death of the planet, one of the greatest war features I've seen in relation to the very idea of it being survivable was the movie "When The Wind Blows":

Attacked as "defeatist" in the UK it real does tell the story of nuclear fall out and death from the perspective of two of the most vulnerable, a pair of retirees who had bought hook, line and sinker most of the "duck and cover" style propaganda.

I've read material generated by Erich Fromm, back during the height of the Cold War, and the most recent biography of him suggests that he was pretty close to and influential on the Kennedy administration, particularly during the Cuban Missile crisis and worked with Pope John Paul and others to try and create an anti-war coalition. It makes for interesting reading. Most of his books are very optimistic but on the topic of nuclear threats and stand off Fromm was pessimistic and some of the work borders on that of shocked despair. He talks about how anyone could believe in the irrationality of mutually assured destruction, vengence strikes, tests and plans like those featured in the movie Project X. How anyone could consider the magnitude of the death toll contemplated in a nuclear war to be victory was something very jarring for him who had lived through two world wars.

Lark

Quit persisting in the illusion that people who answer yes WANT this to happen or are sociopaths that don't understand the destruction that would ensue. No one is espousing the viewpoint that you're railing against.

Are you sure?

I mean, I've not forgotten Bush's statements about needing or wanting "useable" nuclear devices in the years after 9/11, I thought that was extremely chilling.

And lets be honest there's a lot of mad men, and I'm not using that term loosely, who are acquiring or attempting to acquire nuclear weapons in the developing world which is not known for its stability at all. The Bush-Blair wars were extremely shameful because the public is never going to believe intelligence sources or reports about WMDs again, hell I even think the very idea that the bombs in Boston could and will be categorised as WMDs seems hysterical and also likely to eventually have the same effect on public thinking, that WMDs are not a big deal, the real things really, really are.

People laugh at the North Koreans because even their serious propaganda appears ludicrously similar to the lampooning or satirical send ups but they are serious in hoping for the mass destruction of civilian targets in the US and Europe, perhaps even if it means their own destruction.

Lark

Yes, absolutely, 100% yes. It would be exciting to see how it actually played out, and how accurate our predictions of it were. I think there is an excitement about seeing any hypothetical on that big a scale played out. That's why people like zombies and disaster movies. It doesn't have anything to do with actually wishing that thing would happen. I would venture to guess that exactly zero percent of people responding "yes" actually want a nuclear war to happen.

I do not believe that you can be thinking that out.

Its a little like saying that you'd be excited at the prospect of someone raping you or cutting your throat. The difference is that war, and particularly nuclear war, is considered totally and utterly in the abstract and depersonalised.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Peace can only come as a natural consequence of universal enlightenment, a war to end all wars!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh yes it's immature to be realistic about what nuclear war would actually BE LIKE. It's immature to be realistic. Your thread might as well say "wouldn't being in a concentration camp be exciting in a certain light?"

I'm usually open minded, but this is just so UNDERTHOUGHT on your part, really.
Sis, overthinking is what I do best. The answer is not underthought, that much I can guarantee.

Nuclear explosions are impressive, and to watch them being exploded without compromising my own safety would be incredible. People suffering/dying isn't exciting, but 'in a certain light' gives me freedom to focus on whatever aspect I want.

I would not want to see a nuclear war. But it could be exciting, in a way. And I wouldn't spend my days crying because humanity has lost its mind. I'd try to enjoy the show. If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.

Don't like the concentration camp analogy, as people being tortured because of their race is not something I'd find cool in any way.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would not want to see a nuclear war. But it could be exciting, in a way. And I wouldn't spend my days crying because humanity has lost mind. I'd try to enjoy the show. If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.

This pretty much is my reasoning. If the world was going to come to a cataclysmic end, I couldn't think of any way I'd prefer to end it. Let's go out with an impressive fireworks display.

Lark

Thread's a triumph of juvenile and sick ass thinking. Forum's gone down hill.

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thread's a triumph of juvenile and sick ass thinking. Forum's gone down hill.

Why's that? If the world is going to end, does it really matter how?

Mole

Permabanned
Only around 35% of a nuclear bombs energy is converted to thermal energy. Over 50% produces a tremendous shock wave, therefore it would be more appropriate to consider it an 'air bomb'.

Actually the matter converts to light which then hits the air and creates the shock wave. So I am going to stick to my light bomb.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
This pretty much is my reasoning. If the world was going to come to a cataclysmic end, I couldn't think of any way I'd prefer to end it. Let's go out with an impressive fireworks display.

And what if you don't die, smart guy?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Who doesn't know that Nagasaki or Hiroshima were an attack against a race/nation of people?

Who doesn't know this?

What kind of imbecile thinks nuclear war against a race or nation of people is more ethical or less racist than a concentration camp?

Why do so many older Americans think Russians are evil? Why do so many Americans think Muslims are evil? Have you ever heard your grandparents or great-grandparents call someone a "Jap"?

ARRGH THE STUPIDITY ON THIS FORUM IS EPIC.

*completely unexpectedly hugs [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION] :hug: :hug: :hug: *