• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?"

In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?

• Total voters

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Taken from OkCupid!

Wanted to know what goes through people's mind when they answer this question.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No. It reminds me of being a child and the end of the Cold War in the 80s. At some point I concluded that Russians were exciting, but I could decidedly do without nuclear war. Ever.

No, there's really nothing exciting about it. I'm trying to find in my mind something exciting about being incinerated instantly, or walking around in some sub-human post-apocalyptic Mad Max scenario...and no. NO.

Mole

Permabanned
A Light Bomb

Actually a 'nuclear' bomb is a misnomer because such an explosion converts matter into light by the equation, the amount of light equals the amount of matter multiplied by the speed of light squared. So a small amount of matter produces an unimaginably large amount of light.

So a 'nuclear' bomb is actually a light bomb.

And seen in this light, a light bomb seems more exciting.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually a 'nuclear' bomb is a misnomer because such an explosion converts matter into light by the equation, the amount of light equals the amount of matter multiplied by the speed of light squared. So a small amount of matter produces an unimaginably large amount of light.

And seen in this light, a light bomb seems more exciting.
An enlightening perspective, Victor.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
My fear as a child was always living through a nuclear war. Not dying, but living through it.

Hanging out, with the mutations and the wasteland, with nothing growing, people hiding underground. OH MY GOD.

I still hate dystopian science fiction as an adult, the Cold War really warped my mind, I can't imagine what it did to people in my parents' generation, no wonder they see communism everywhere (I'm just puzzled when people my age or younger also suspect it)

As an adult, I don't even accept it as a reality. I think we are effectively PAST IT. Yes we are. All that stuff that happened in the early 90s? That meant we didn't have to worry about the bomb anymore.

No one, but no one, would be that stupid anymore.

I can't wait for people who were 5, 8, or 10 around the time of 9/11 to be about 30. I'd love to know how all of this stuff affected their minds.

I do know that my younger sister immediately went off and married a Muslim, who she divorced less than a year later. We must have some kind of "Peace Weaver" gene running in the women of my family.

So when people say isn't nuclear war exciting, that's all I can think of. Am I supposed to think of North Korea instead? Because I don't. I can't. I think of them as a joke.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, it's good to know that I'm not alone.

The answer yes seemed to be classified as unacceptable by most women I found interesting, which is kinda sad.

"In a certain light" changes everything. Put that anywhere and I'll find an atom of reason to answer yes. E.g. I can imagine people reunited in bunkers, leaving their differences aside and contemplating the value of small things that we take for granted.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I like to imagine people doing that to PREVENT a nuclear war.

I like the idea of fucking for peace.

I think it's romantic to sleep with the enemy. But I refuse to crawl in bed with Best Korea.

Dude, death and destruction is BAD. What the hell? How boring and unrealistic is your life if you think nuclear war would be fantastic?

I think all of the people who answered yes were men so far, so I wouldn't get too happy if I were you.

Maybe it's because I don't take things like human relationships and trees for granted that I find this horrific hypothesis so utterly unacceptable.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only if I survive and get to join The Brotherhood of Steel

ETA: A more serious answer: No, it would not. Nuclear wars/post-apocalyptic's visions of the future might make for interesting settings for books and movies but it would really be shitty to live in an irradiated wasteland

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dude, death and destruction is BAD. What the hell? How boring and unrealistic is your life if you think nuclear war would be fantastic?
No one said ''YAY NUCLEAR WAR FTW :party2:". It can be exciting in a certain light, and terrifying in many other lights.

Turn off the Fi and try to think objectively. Also, develop some Ne.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No one said ''YAY NUCLEAR WAR FTW :party2". It can be exciting in a certain light, and terrifying in many other lights.

Turn off the Fi and try to think objectively. Also, develop some Ne.

Why don't you develop some Se and live in the fucking real world. I am actually appalled by the immaturity of this, to be perfectly honest. It just seems immature and dumb to me.

It also makes me wonder if men start wars and kill people out of boredom.

LOL at thinking nuclear bombs could be an exciting or good thing as "thinking objectively." How about "thinking like a five year old boy who shits his pants when people around him drop dead because they fried to death and now has to live off of canned peas and dead rats because there are no grocery stores or plants in a 500 mile radius."

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Also please note that Ne does not find "fucking for peace" exciting as Se apparently does.

I rest my case.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why don't you develop some Se and live in the fucking real world. I am actually appalled by the immaturity of this, to be perfectly honest. It just seems immature and dumb to me.
Personally, I don't get appalled that easily. Also, I find your linear perspective to be extremely immature, so I guess we're even.

It also makes me wonder if men start wars and kill people out of boredom.
Boredom is a powerful motivator.

Nicodemus

"In a certain light" changes everything. Put that anywhere and I'll find an atom of reason to answer yes. E.g. I can imagine people reunited in bunkers, leaving their differences aside and contemplating the value of small things that we take for granted.
I imagine it as a total nuclear war that will eradicate all of civilization. In this, I sit with a couple of friends on a mountaintop, drinking expensive alcohol, waiting for and then watching with an eerie delight the fireworks of the first dying of Urth. It is a bit idealized but, I reckon, still covered by 'in a certain light'.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
it depends how you define "exciting". Some people apparently define it as "lots of adrenaline" or something. To me exciting clearly has "positive mood" connotations. I took away my answer because everyone kept flagging me for saying "no"...morons.

Most of the questions that are all "could you consider/could you ever/do you always" are stupid because some people interpret them hyperliterally ("sure I would hypothetically consider the pros and cons of eating my own offspring, it'd be an interesting mental exercise") and others interpret them as more "what would you be most likely to do"

I

Infinite Bubble

No, because the negative effects afterwards would outweigh the event itself. Objectively speaking, humans' (as well as all life that we currently
know of) most fundamental instinct is to survive, and to have a nuclear war is to revolt against it, so the outcome would most likely abolish effective survival afterwards. It is illogical to that trait and unnecessary, although our nature makes the development of such things inevitable, and I'm sure the atomic bomb will have a future successor, in favour of a yet more destructive design.

It can be considered exciting, yes (and of course you don't have to care about the above), but it is rather frivolous to do so. The above should be considered more important than a perspective that considers it exciting when such severe outcomes are unavoidable.

I can imagine people reunited in bunkers, leaving their differences aside and contemplating the value of small things that we take for granted.

Perhaps a single reinvigorating moment in dark times, but I doubt said people would dare to call it 'exciting'.

Only around 35% of a nuclear bombs energy is converted to thermal energy. Over 50% produces a tremendous shock wave, therefore it would be more appropriate to consider it an 'air bomb'.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't find the idea of lots of people dying in horrible ways to be exciting. And I don't relish the end of tech and medicine. Or getting cancer from radiation poisoning and dying in pain. And a host of other things attached to nuclear war. And the crime and violence that would came, since the rule of law would become "might makes right" again.

At the same time, I'd find a cultural reboot exciting. There's so much crap in our constructed society that has nothing to do with actual living. I'd rather be living and interacting with the world, rather than living daily in what amounts to a socially constructed existence.

Usehername

On a mission
I don't find the idea of lots of people dying in horrible ways to be exciting. And I don't relish the end of tech and medicine. Or getting cancer from radiation poisoning and dying in pain. And a host of other things attached to nuclear war. And the crime and violence that would came, since the rule of law would become "might makes right" again.

At the same time, I'd find a cultural reboot exciting. There's so much crap in our constructed society that has nothing to do with actual living. I'd rather be living and interacting with the world, rather than living daily in what amounts to a socially constructed existence.

This was the reason I chose "yes." But then everyone gets offended by that question so I gave up on it and unmarked it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This was the reason I chose "yes." But then everyone gets offended by that question so I gave up on it and unmarked it.

I guess maybe a puerile Revolution-style reboot of the world, where society is rebooted without all the pain and suffering and harm and grit and dirt would be more palatable for people.... You know, the PG-11 version...

W

WALMART

It would, in the sense that I dream of romanticized versions of 12th century battle.

I would love to study it, eight hundred years its junior. Instead I can play games like Fallout or Star Ocean.