User Tag List

View Poll Results: In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 52.50%
  • No

19 47.50%
First 789101119 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Your moral filters don't affect the viability of the idea.
    Well just so you know, I posted the way I did to show that it's not just MY moral filters; it's a pretty significant subset of the general public. (Dunno the stats on it.)
    Besides, I didn't put the thread on the philosophy subsection to get an etiquette lesson.
    Sorry about that. :/ It's the Fi.

I thought it'd be worth you knowing that a lot of people find that offensive. Regardless of whether you agree that it is. Just so you're not shocked if someone gets angry the next time you say it.
    Last edited by EJCC; 04-24-2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: thought you were talking about Marm; edited pronoun accordingly
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Doesn't seem like there's any great philosophical truth in saying "Oh yeah, in a CERTAIN light it would be exciting."

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by senza tema View Post
    Doesn't seem like there's any great philosophical truth in saying "Oh yeah, in a CERTAIN light it would be exciting."
    Exactly. Which is my point. I can put myself in other people's shoes, understand why they'd do things I wouldn't in certain contexts (be Nazis, be vicious nationalists, rob a convenience store, et al) ... I have to be able to create a moral line of reasoning for it. "X person is doing this because xyz, there is a clear line of logical, rational or ethical reasoning for it, even if I do not overall agree with it, I can definitely see how this thing I reject is seen as moral in their situation or context."

When I can't grasp that, I tend to go looking for psychiatric illnesses "oh they're schizophrenic, there's not a rational line of reasoning, but they are sick."

When there's no logical or ethical line of reasoning, nor no illness or extenuating circumstance at play, and no deep philosophical truth to be found, then I'm just kind of all like "you can't be serious, bro. No, just no."

I experience this mostly with ENTPs but it may be something about Ti being my demonic function and Ne being trickster that makes me so appalled in these situations.

And it's why Ti types sometimes see Fi as oppressive or inconvenient.

I guess?

Glycerine

It's just pure "mental masturbation", that's all. I would be more appalled by a question like, "What would be the most fun way to kill a person/baby?"

*Someone is going to try to troll me by creating a such a thread, right?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I wouldn't, but it's possible to make a bad and inevitable situation much more tolerant by accepting and embracing it. Ultimately, you wouldn't strictly enjoy, but making an effort in this direction would pay off.
    For illustrative purposes:

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Technically, yes, but the vast amount of horrific possibilities associated with the scenario makes it generally unpleasant to think about.

I'd rather ponder the chance of My Little Ponies taking over. Or Care Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I wasn't trolling or trying to break the rules, I was trying to make a point.
    Engaging you in conversation would be much more pleasant an enterprise if you allowed others the same freedom, if you grew just a little more tolerant of other points of view and other moral feelings.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Engaging you in conversation would be much more pleasant an enterprise if you allowed others the same freedom, if you grew just a little more tolerant of other points of view and other moral feelings.
    I am tolerant of a lot of things, just not others. Engaging you in a conversation would be a much more pleasant enterprise if you weren't a complete troll who followed me around the forum trying to get a reaction, or looking for something completely absurd to report me about.

I have you on ignore, now stop quoting me.

Case in point.

MBTI
    INTJ

Wow. So, as a hypothesis, those who are able to handle abstract images and assess them in terms of aspects, can go ahead and say nuclear war (as a large and devastating process) would contain elements that can be exciting; and those who would really like to stabilise concrete images, can't? (I didn't look through the thread to see how closely the yeas and nays match up with supposed type because hey, you people write some sick and weird CONSERVATIVE shizzle.)

That's astoundingly interesting. The Si people want to collect the entire nuclear war image and and assess it as one fairly concrete item that includes death and face melting and etc but with all the attendant pain and suffering included as relevant and overwhelming of other kinds of imagistic connection.

I totally am making this up.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr