User Tag List

View Poll Results: In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 52.50%
  • No

19 47.50%
First 8161718192028 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It may be easier to think of Ni in terns of "if . . . then . . . ". As in: if we had a nuclear war, then this is what would happen. Ni envisions a single integrated answer to the Ne open-ended question, all of it hypothetical, impersonal, and separated from any moral considerations.
    It does if attached to Te.

But it's interesting how the if-then comes to be. Or more exactly, how the person sees there is a movement from the if condition to the then result. How does one get to imagine that one set of images plus an if condition gives rise to some other set of images? A shitload of coherence testing that looks a hell of a lot like "WHAT IF".

Actual conscious operation of Ni has a lot more heuristic devices than what if. The range of possibles is cut down dramatically by the existence of schemes that have been worked out (again and again) in the past. But the lifeblood of Ni remains what if. For instance, "what if I'm wrong?" The what if happens in a different place though. Ne What if works on an environment (I guess). Ni what if works on inner combinations. What if I put these together. What if I imagine a world where nuclear war produces candy floss for children? what if...

But then again, what if I'm wrong.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Some things just aren't romantic.

I DO, however, easily see war and war-time and war zones being romantic. We see that all the time. Deadly situations, morality judgments and decisions, the stereotypical dude meeting the civilian innocent from the other side and falling for her...

... Nuclear war sort of takes away from romantic aspects. I have seen some people try to make it more romantic with pictures of people dancing or walking the beach in radioactivity suits... but I just don't see it. The suits take away from person-to-person interaction, it creates a bigger wedge between people whom are alive (mutated and radioactive people vs people far enough away), and there is no personality in the way people are killed--a bomb is dropped or launched, no one goes up to the people themselves. It's so... cold, and distant, and absolutely sudden. People don't even have to know what hit them.

I read a manga one time about the Japanese dealing with the aftermath... and it was a love story.. this young girl fell for this young guy, and then she slipped away from the world because of radiation. There was nothing romantic about it.. it was just sad, and awful.

I can see where people would try to make it romantic.. but it is just not for me at all.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    Yeah. I know. You and everyone else read the sentence wrong.
    No, I don't think I read it wrong. I made a choice to not enter any debate on the topic itself, so to me, that means I think I've read it right.

Discussing how much less than perfect nuclear war is, is fine. In context though, point: missed. I know, right? How could that possibly happen? It's not like different priorities and perceptions exist, is it?
    I don't think you should dismiss the quick gut-reflex to simply say "No" in answer to this question, by any type. The prospect of nuclear war really isn't exciting to the majority of people unless you change the parameters of what nuclear war might mean. So, contemplating the nature of the question or the composition of the question doesn't even enter into the equation - it's overridden.

Those persons getting outraged without Si present in their mental clown suit were doing so for god only knows what reason, but if that proves Si people don't do Si, then perhaps we shouldn't believe typology after all.
    Maybe you're just wrong about Si. How about that for a paradigm shift?

This is somehow missing the whole point.
    Probably.

Meanwhile, gaah, you guys, grow your conceptual schemes a little.
    pot - kettle - black
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

pretty evenly split #captain obvious
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    I don't think you should dismiss the quick gut-reflex to simply say "No" in answer to this question, by any type. The prospect of nuclear war really isn't exciting to the majority of people unless you change the parameters of what nuclear war might mean. So, contemplating the nature of the question or the composition of the question doesn't even enter into the equation - it's overridden.
    If you like.

Let's all then be surprised there're types, some people even, whose opportunities for living expression dwindle the closer they are urged to this wretched past-staring literalness.

I didn't have to contemplate the nature of the question to know it could be answered, easily and without moral difficulty, yes. And I was actually gigantically wise enough to know there's a way to answer yes and be right and answer no and be right. It follows, more or less, from the very simple axiom, gifts differ.

Who knew, right? I'm here to claim that not many here did.

Maybe you're just wrong about Si. How about that for a paradigm shift?
    Maybe I'm just not. How's that for a fully complete answer to a worthless statement of bias.

pot - kettle - black
    Uh, no. The simple minded approach of "maybe it's not what you think, and we should all leave it open to whatever possibility may arrive" works for you. And it means nothing for the adequacy, appropriacy, and accuracy of cognition that doesn't work that way.

The only way you can get away with such an approach is to have some library of concrete facts that you treat as containing more of the substance of the world than the world itself displays from moment to moment.

And which changes, among other things, what elements of some internet question will strike you immediately as constituting the substance of that question.

I'm disgusted you people know so little of how to set yourselves free.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

I don't think there's any question a nuclear war would be exciting. How could it not be? However, I'm using the word "exciting" to basically mean the opposite of "boring", not with any positive aspect to it. It would be a horrible world to live in - but that's exciting (for a while anyway, until it becomes normality, then it's just a boring struggle for survival)! The fact that it is an exciting topic explains why so many people have replied to this thread to disagree or agree. The results are in, I'd say...

Society

the nuclear war itself wouldn't be exciting in particular, though if i manage to survive alongside every loved one intact, then at least for that time, i would be too happy about that to be horrified about everyone else.

after, yes, it depends on the scale of the nuclear assault:
    - if the disaster is in ecological scale, then no, growing old in some bunkers i've managed to crawl into is not going to be particularly stimulating.
    - if the disaster is centered around the world's major cities, civilization is gone as we know it but humanity survived... then yes, the rebuilding can be very interesting.

people here are underestimating themselves: under the circumstances, if it happens, most people will eventually find the positive spin, whether it exists or not, because in that scenario it fucking happened, their entire world shaped by it, and they had to live with it - whatever life they rebuilt, they built on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

And when Ne people go what if, is that what they're doing too? Are they moving through permutations of background ideas or are they adding a layer to what's outside of them? Does their what if stay interesting to them if it produces no noticeable result in the environment?
    My "what ifs" certainly stay interesting to me (daydreaming about "what ifs" is pretty much all I ever do), regardless of it becoming externally real or not, and I'm an INTP. So yes. And what effect have INTP's ever directly had on the external environment lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    the nuclear war itself wouldn't be exciting in particular, though if i manage to survive alongside every loved one intact, then at least for that time, i would be too happy about that to be horrified about everyone else.

after, yes, it depends on the scale of the nuclear assault:
    - if the disaster is in ecological scale, then no, growing old in some bunkers i've managed to crawl into is not going to be particularly stimulating.
    - if the disaster is centered around the world's major cities, civilization is gone as we know it but humanity survived... then yes, the rebuilding can be very interesting.

people here are underestimating themselves: under the circumstances, if it happens, most people will eventually find the positive spin, whether it exists or not, because in that scenario it fucking happened, their entire world shaped by it, and they had to live with it.
    Exactly. In fact there's a very real possibility that in the 2nd option you give nuclear war (or any other major disaster) could have a beneficial impact on mankind. Not sure anyone's mentioned that yet.

MBTI
    INTP

Yes, and the question reminds me of the old Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times". And obviously, for those taking this question far too seriously, the misery, despair, and heartache involved would vastly outweigh the excitement, except for short, isolated instances where survival mode triggers an adrenaline rush that pushes aside all other considerations.