User Tag List

View Poll Results: In a certain light, wouldn't nuclear war be exciting?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 52.50%
  • No

19 47.50%
First 91011121321 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    It is damn too. All those in favor of nuclear excitement are recognising that aspects of the collapse can be exciting, while the anti-nuclear wowsers are requiring us all to get buried under the entirety of this one, unitary, monolithic, and realistically conceived-in-detail death's head mushroom cloud. It's insanely conservative picture-making, no other imagery allowed.

Which is entirely bizarre because just how many books and movies are now out of bounds? For that matter, and a whole lot more seriously on a pseudo-psychology forum, though apparently no one has seen fit to recognise this, but what are you people saying to actual troops who come back from actual battle in actual concrete circumstance of death and murder, and they say, THAT WAS EXCITING!?

If there is even one person who nearly got blown up in Boston saying they were thrilled and excited by the sound and violence that didn't kill them.... THEY MUST BE SICK IN THE HEAD RIGHT?

I am surprise.

Besides, if it had been...

This Side of The Blast Radius (New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1920)
    The Beautiful and Bombed (New York: Scribners, 1922)
    The Great Fat Boy (New York: Scribners, 1925)
    Tender Is the Nuke (New York: Scribners, 1934)
    and
    The Love of the Last Tycoon (Because All The Others are Radioactive) –

THEN YOU'D BE PRO_BOMB 2
    You should take this all up with Morrissey, being an INFP who has Si, who sang it's the bomb the bomb the bomb that will bring us together.

I think thunderstorms are exciting, but the possibility of people dying in a thunderstorm are far lower, and usually the rain does the land and animals good.

I care about things like the environment, animals, etc. to think that this is an exciting answer to 21st century corporate over-socialization.

I absolutely hate the idea of men doing more harm to innocent living things than they already have.

In my case it's Fi rigidity of morals, I know this to be a fact.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You don't have to be a teenager to find it interesting to play around with "what-if" scenarios: how would I survive on the street? If I were going to rob a bank, how would I do it? It is far better to play out these scenarios in one's imagination than in reality. (Aren't many video games based on the premise of giving the players thrills they cannot experience IRL?) My SO actually does this quite a bit: what if our house were destroyed in a natural disaster? what if we were kidnapped on overseas travel? What if someone took out the regional power/comm grid? Also far less realistic situations. That doesn't mean he wants any of these to happen. I think he just enjoys the mental exercise of thinking them through. I do sometimes as well, though more from the practical benefit of contingency planning.
    No, usually it's teenagers who haven't actually experienced things. As an adult if you've ever gotten close to living on the street or whatever, then you're disabused of the silly notion.

Once you learn the odds against people succeeding at robbing a bank, then too you get disabused of that notion.

It's not that I never ask "what if;" to the contrary, if I hadn't asked "what if there was a nuclear bomb" for the past twenty years of my life, why in the fuck would I know so much about nuclear disasters and have such strong feelings about it?

I have an incredible facility for imagining things, what it would be like to experience them, but realistically, not like floating around on clouds, I don't know, but I have a feeling my imagination is more based in Se.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    No, usually it's teenagers who haven't actually experienced things. As an adult if you've ever gotten close to living on the street or whatever, then you're disabused of the silly notion.

Once you learn the odds against people succeeding at robbing a bank, then too you get disabused of that notion.
    That's the point. If you have actually experienced something, you don't need to do this exercise. If you have been forced to consider it out of practical necessity, you have already done the exercise. And the best way to disabuse yourself of a bad idea like bank robbery is to think it through carefully, and understand the realities you mention. Thought experiments are wonderful, and often safer than their concrete counterparts.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ

Can't we just get along.

It's astoundingly interesting that, voila, a wild, really obvious difference in conceptual focus appears. And it really does seem to lead to genuine, nearly intractable difference of opinion.

BUT YOU PEOPLE ARE NOT JUDGING THE SAME OBJECTS!!!

How about that, eh?

#giftsdontdiffer-alotofthemarejustwrong
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Can't we just get along.

It's astoundingly interesting that, voila, a wild, really obvious difference in conceptual focus appears. And it really does seem to lead to genuine, nearly intractable difference of opinion.

YOU PEOPLE ARE NOT JUDGING THE SAME OBJECTS!!!

How about that, eh?

#giftsdontdiffer-alotofthemarejustwrong
    Kalach, the OP has Si.

All of those books? Written before anyone actually dropped a nuclear bomb or had a nuclear power plant disaster.

Just stop while you're ahead.

Yes, clearly we are seeing different things, but it's a complex number of factors, I think.

MBTI
    INTJ

But you keep doing it, Marm. You keep emphasizing the concrete reality of nuclear war. The concrete aspects that we can know from any number of traditional sources including but not limited to history, newsreel, photos, lists of the dead....

And de-emphasizing, say, how war time narratives always include stories of EXCITING things like heroism, adventure, challenege; and how cataclysmic war would push the stakes so much higher that this kind of story cannot not be exciting.

The Road, Cormac Macarthy.
    Not exciting.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

But you keep doing it, Marm. You keep emphasizing the concrete reality of nuclear war. The concrete aspects that we can know from any number of traditional sources including but not limited to history, newsreel, photos, lists of the dead....

And de-emphasizing, say, how war time narratives always include stories of EXCITING things like heroism, adventure, challenege; and how cataclysmic war would push the stakes so much higher that this kind of story cannot not be exciting.

The Road, Cormac Macarthy.
    Not exciting.
    Battle is exciting. I'm not sure how you confuse nuclear bombs with combat. I don't see where things like heroism, adventure and challenge can come in there, in a full scale nuclear-war.

But you're basically saying anyone who understands that nuclear war is a horrific destructive has Si, and see a couple of young INxP males in this thread saying "sure yeah, exciting."

If by your estimation I am ENFP, I have even less Si then these folks are supposed to have, and Kalach you just aren't making sense.

You think everything is about Ni and Si. It's a bit off.

I mean now you're saying Rasofy isn't an INTP, basically.

In my initial post, remember, as a child I at some point came to the conclusions that Russians were exciting, being our sworn enemy or something, but never at any point could I (or most sane people who actually thought it through) reconcile the idea of nuclear war.

I wouldn't want any of you people to be the president.

MBTI
    INTJ

Dr Strangelove.

Not even funny.

Boy meets Grr

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Here's what you don't understand: I face everything I strongly care about Fi-first. As an INTJ you don't have that problem (except for when you do, there's very little more entertaining than an INTJ on one a la Fi) ...but mostly INTJs run around saying things to FPs like "why do you have enemies" and "why can't you disagree with people without getting upset."

Until they get mad about something themselves. But then they're usually mad, and that's different, according to them, no matter even if it looks like fussing or whining.

This is something I had a strong Fi reaction to. I'm not sure what you don't get. It violates everything I hold dear, from my personal safety to the rights of polar bears and other furry animals.

MBTI
    INTJ

I also think you might be arguing in bad faith marm. That's what happens when Victor posts.

I suggested, with various flags to THE ABSENCE OF THE KIND OF DETAILED PROOF THAT WOULD SATISFY PEOPLE LOOKING FOR CONCRETE EVIDENCE ENOUGH TO NOT HAVE TO GO ALL ABSTRACT ABOUT THINGS, that a trend appears to have presented itself. There are people seeking reassurance in concrete detail, and there are people having fun splitting narrative away from concrete detail. And there seems enough of a correspondence between type and personal position to pin this trend on introverted perception differences. And where that correspondence does not hold is not presently of any interest because not only is it not a disproof, it's not interesting.

The jolly nice thing about type theory is where someone says "You're perception is odd, it's really different from mine", this does NOT mean that eventually your perception will change for the better. Type is type. Different types will be attracted to different things.

Feel free to hate on radiation.

Boy meets Grr