User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: original sin

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    The more consistent and liberal Christianity gets, the more it looks like paganism. Probably because that's how it started. In my humble opinion. I think Jesus was a Hindu, and when it became a religion, and the religion became institutionalized and people capitalized on the teachings for power, then they took all the good pagan stuff out.
    May I ask on what grounds you base this argument on?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    May I ask on what grounds you base this argument on?
    No, there are too many to list. It's an intuitive compilation of all my thoughts on the matter. I'm sure I could, but it would take way too long. But certainly a fair question, and well deserved.

Sniffles

No, there are too many to list. It's an intuitive compilation of all my thoughts on the matter. I'm sure I could, but it would take way too long. But certainly a fair question, and well deserved.
    Can you give me at least one reason out of the many?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Can we get just 3 reason that you think it's likely Jesus was a Hindu?

Because really that's pretty improbable from my perspective.

Sniffles

Usually the claim is that Jesus was a Buddhist, not a Hindu.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Many have suggested that during the "lost years" of Jesus' life he traveled to India, where there were both Jews and Buddhists. Hindu and Buddhist texts have a couple of passages which it could be argued confirm this. Also there are similarities in teachings to Hindu and Buddhist teachings.

Also I am Hindu and think he was a Bodhisattva, or enlightened being, and he came to teach people how they could achieve enlightenment. It's consistent with his teachings, and makes sense to me.

2 distilled reasons for Jesus being a Hindu.

I don't feel like arguing the other point atm. Just provocative food for thought.

Sniffles

Many have suggested that during the "lost years" of Jesus' life he traveled to India, where there were both Jews and Buddhists. Hindu and Buddhist texts have a couple of passages which it could be argued confirm this. Also there are similarities in teachings to Hindu and Buddhist teachings.

Also I am Hindu and think he was a Bodhisattva, or enlightened being, and he came to teach people how they could achieve enlightenment. It's consistent with his teachings, and makes sense to me.

2 distilled reasons for Jesus being a Hindu.

I don't feel like arguing the other point atm. Just provocative food for thought.
    Thank you, although this doesn't really prove Jesus was a Hindu or a Buddhist per se. There's no real evidence he went to India, and it's not necessary for Jesus to have traveled to India or be a Buddhist or Hindu to account for his teachings, or for that matter the similarities between Christianity and Eastern religions - for all truth comes from the Holy Spirit.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Thank you, although this doesn't really prove Jesus was a Hindu or a Buddhist per se. There's no real evidence he went to India, and it's not necessary for Jesus to have traveled to India or be a Buddhist or Hindu to account for his teachings, or for that matter the similarities between Christianity and Eastern religions - for all truth comes from the Holy Spirit.
    No, it certainly can't be proven. It's just a theory. I agree that truth is common to every truly spiritual tradition.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I think I've heard or read a theory that original sin is passed down through men because Eve sinned because she was deceived, while Adam was not deceived and chose to sin anyway. That would make original sin transmitted via sex, but not because sex is bad, but because men are bad. I don't personally subscribe to that theory, but I have heard that or something like it somewhere. I have a mind like a steel sieve, so that's all I've got on that theory.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Sniffles

Although mention has been made about the differences between Catholics and Protestants, a bigger difference is between Western Christianity and Eastern Christianity. The Eastern Orthodox don't uphold the concept of Original Sin, but rather argue that because of the sin of Adam death was brought into the world. As a result of death, passions arise within the human heart that causes us to sin.