User Tag List

123 Last

Default Typology and Integral Philosophy

Have you folks heard of Integral Philosophy? I have been reading through one of Ken Wilbur's books and find it very fascinating. He mentions studying typology such as the MBTI as a tool for personal development working with AQAL or all quadrants all levels and also including all lines, all states and all types. Anyway, I really do not know much about Integral Philosophy or the MBTI for that matter but find them fascinating. It seems to be a very comprehensive way of looking at things from many perspectives especially with the four quadrants (see below). Has anyone done any study into this system and how the MBTI fits into it? Thoughts? Opinions?

Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween

MBTI
    ENTP

Ken Wilbur's system is something of a rehash of other similar systems... which is not to say it isn't loaded with merits... but it's not, fundamentally, new...

See Gurdjieff (read the books by Ouspensky, like In Search of the Miraculous and The Fourth Way)

See Yoga and Advaita Vedanta philosophy...

Pick up some Madhyamika Buddhist texts...

Integral Philosophy reminds me most of the sort of syncretistic magpie philosophico-psychologizing of the Theosophy school.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Somehow I knew that you would post to this thread Samuel. I am aware that concepts in integral philosophy are not entirely new and I am familiar with Advaita Vedanta. In fact it is my favorite school of philosophy. I also like the Yogic philosophies. The Indians just have it going on in this department. I will have to check out Gurdjieff, I am not familiar and I will look into Madhyamika Buddhist texts. I hadn't thought of it before but I do see parallels between integral philosophy and the theosophical perspective. Interesting... but I guess Wilbur would say that his system encompasses them all.

One thing I can't get about Wilbur is that he seems to make a distinction between the pre-rational non-dual perspective and the post-rational non-dual perspective. But when I read the older texts such as the work of Shankara and some Taoist poetry they seem very aware of non-duality and not just in a mythical or mystical way. I think the direct experience of it hasn't changed much and I don't think the non-dual perspectives of today are any "higher level" then they always were.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm going to say something here... Ken Wilber's might be one of the biggest, most bulgingest brains in the world... and I'd have to read a lot more of him to get into this... which is why I'm going to get back to you within the next four days...
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Yeah I agree. I need to do the same .

MBTI
    INXX

I've read Ken Wilber's A Brief History of Everything and started but not finished one of his larger tomes. I like Wilber's project of trying to build a philosophy in which all valid human ways of knowing and fields of knowledge can be integrated. Of course he's been criticized for his "orienting generalizations" being overgeneralizations and oversimplifications.

What you said suggested to me that his interest in MBTI lies in his quest to develop every part of his personality so that he is not limited to one type. Is that sort of what he is trying to do?

What I get from it is that maybe for a given situation one would think how all types such as the MBTIs would fit into a given scenario and then do this in all quadrants, all levels, all stages etc. I guess typology just adds more things to consider when using integral philosophy as a way of getting at the heart of a matter. That is just my guess. Although if Ken Wilbur can change his preferences like he can change his brain activity he probably can change types too. Here is a video of him messing around with an EKG machine

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Abhaya View Post
    One thing I can't get about Wilbur is that he seems to make a distinction between the pre-rational non-dual perspective and the post-rational non-dual perspective. But when I read the older texts such as the work of Shankara and some Taoist poetry they seem very aware of non-duality and not just in a mythical or mystical way. I think the direct experience of it hasn't changed much and I don't think the non-dual perspectives of today are any "higher level" then they always were.
    I agree, but I would not consider said writings to be pre-rational, so I see no issue, really. When I think "pre-rational non-dual," I tend to consider shamanic, entheogenic, and mythic experience from ten- to twenty-thousand years ago - a time well before said texts.

I very much value the Integral Philosophy, and I have found both pleasure and understanding in Wilbur's writing. I have read most all of his books, and own many of them, and I think and feel they are well worth the time. In particular, I very much enjoy his Integral Psychology.

I do think there is the potential to create a typer that would map in a constructive way to all quadrants, all levels, but I suspect it would be some real work. I can intuit to some degree how MBTI might map to it now, but I suspect that it would be quite incomplete.

cheers,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by aeon View Post
    I agree, but I would not consider said writings to be pre-rational, so I see no issue, really. When I think "pre-rational non-dual," I tend to consider shamanic, entheogenic, and mythic experience from ten- to twenty-thousand years ago - a time well before said texts.
    Thanks for the insight. That actually puts it into perspective for me, but they way Wilbur presented it, he seemed to consider anything pre-industrialization pre-rational, but maybe I misunderstood. Also, some of what I gather from the Aboriginal perspective suggests a deep understanding of the non-dual nature of the Kosmos and that culture has been in existence for possibly 30,000 years. I also think that we do not really know all the details of our ancient history. We might even be missing some big pieces of it. Dare I speculate extraterrestrial intervention? :rolli:

I very much value the Integral Philosophy, and I have found both pleasure and understanding in Wilbur's writing. I have read most all of his books, and own many of them, and I think and feel they are well worth the time. In particular, I very much enjoy his Integral Psychology.

I do think there is the potential to create a typer that would map in a constructive way to all quadrants, all levels, but I suspect it would be some real work. I can intuit to some degree how MBTI might map to it now, but I suspect that it would be quite incomplete.
    I've only dabbled with Integral Philosophy. I have been reading through The Integral Vision (with lots of pictures!) and have skimmed through A Brief History of Everything, but maybe it is about time I pick up Sex, Ecology, Spirituality that is sitting on my brother's book shelf. I agree that making a "typer" that fit with AQAL would be daunting.

All these pre post pre etc. terms drive me crazy but I can't think of any other way to phrase this stuff.

In particular, I very much enjoy his Integral Psychology.
    Is this similar to trans personal psychology?