123 Last

Thread: For or against?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default For or against?

Do you spend more time thinking about what you are "for" or "in favour" of or what you are "against" or "not in favour of"? Does it form your politics or determine your vote or even shape your opinion of other people and the likelihood of interacting with them?

Against, it's much easier for me to decide whether I dislike or disagree with something.
    I really like cats and food.

Society

For, though its mostly my own when i used to come up with new policy ideas. not as into politics as i used to be though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I actually just read a very interesting article that is related to this concept and was going to start a new thread, but felt like it fit here better.

How Skeptics and Believers Can Connect

A quote:

It reminded me that one of the things that makes mutual respect between believers and nonbelievers difficult is that there is a kind of line in the sand, and you’re either on one side of it or on the other. Skeptics do this too, of course. I remember a dinner party where I was explaining my work among evangelicals to a colleague, and her face grew longer and longer until she said, “You talk to them?”

The in-your-face confrontation makes it that much harder to connect. The more my interviewer pressed me, the more my faith — such as it is — grew strained. I had come to live (theologically speaking) in a messy in-between. My interviewer wanted clarity. The more he put me on the spot, the more I wanted to say that I shared nothing with him and that his beliefs were flimsy dreams. And the more I resisted, the more he just got mad. He was determined. I was exhausted.

Anthropologists have a term for this racheting-up of opposition: schismogenesis. Gregory Bateson developed the word to describe mirroring interactions, where every move by each side makes the other respond more negatively, like those horrible arguments with your spouse where everything you say makes the other person dig in their heels more fiercely.
    As an "in-betweener" I often find myself defending reasonable atheists from rabid Christians, or defending reasonable Christians from rabid atheists, depending on who's being more aggressive in that particular exchange. I don't occupy any firm space in this particular standoff, so typically where I land is "you seem pretty certain of that, how in love with your own limited human intellect must you be to get to that point?"

I guess that makes me a "neither," in response to your question, Lark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    In bed.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

For.

I don't like to waste time thinking about what I'm against.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

For.

I don't like to waste time thinking about what I'm against.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Infinite Bubble

Against. I suppose people who're "For" are more likely to be optimists, with the opposite true for those "Against". I'm very much a pessimist.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    612 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

For. It makes it easier for me to pinpoint the movements and communities I support.

I don't really spend a lot of time thinking what I am for or against. When I am asked to decide something, I like to find out what I can about the decision and then decide.

If it's something simple like "are you for eating at restaurant A", I usually go by instinct.

If it a measure on a ballot, I look at the arguments, check the facts, then mark my sample ballot. On election day, I bubble in what I selected. Unless I get new information that changes my decision.

I used to vote for particular candidates based on how competent I thought he or she would be based on past record. I block voted last election for the party I thought would be more able to compromise. Now, I am just very disillusioned. We shall see what I do next election.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield