123 Last

Thread: Life Affirming?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Life Affirming?

What does it mean? What qualifies and what does not?

Bread and Roses

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What does it mean? What qualifies and what does not?
    The abolition of institutional slavery for the first time in history by the House of Commons in 1833 is life affirming.

And sending the Royal Navy into the Atlantic with orders to sink all American slave ships was life affirming.

And emancipation of women for the first time in history in Australia and New Zealand in 1901, was life affirming.

And the Judicial Enquiry into Child Abuse in Ireland in 2009, and the Royal Commission into Child Abuse in Australia in 2013 are life affirming.

But not only do we want to free the slaves, women and children, we want roses as well. We also want to dance, make love and poetry.

Society

They way i noticed affirmation used usually refers to agreeing, complimenting and pointing out the value in ones choices and beliefs.

Not sure about the context here.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The abolition of institutional slavery for the first time in history by the House of Commons in 1833 is life affirming.

And sending the Royal Navy into the Atlantic with orders to sink all American slave ships was life affirming.

And emancipation of women for the first time in history in Australia and New Zealand in 1901, was life affirming.

And the Judicial Enquiry into Child Abuse in Ireland in 2009, and the Royal Commission into Child Abuse in Australia in 2013 are life affirming.

But not only do we want to free the slaves, women and children, we want roses as well. We also want to dance, make love and poetry.
    Victor you are living evidence of Dawkin's "mind virus" or "meme" theory.

Or perhaps you believe it and want to personify it with singularity of purpose.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    They way i noticed affirmation used usually refers to agreeing, complimenting and pointing out the value in ones choices and beliefs.

Not sure about the context here.
    I agree and hence the thread.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

It's not that I don't agree with you, I do- abolition was life-affirming. I'm having trouble with this second line, though. Sinking the slave ships was life-affirming? Didn't it.. you know, kill a bunch of people, including slaves? Maybe death would be more life-affirming than living in slavery, but wouldn't it be more life-affirming to allow the individuals to make that choice for themselves? Maybe some of those people could have lived to escape or be emancipated after the Civil War.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    It's not that I don't agree with you, I do- abolition was life-affirming. I'm having trouble with this second line, though. Sinking the slave ships was life-affirming? Didn't it.. you know, kill a bunch of people, including slaves? Maybe death would be more life-affirming than living in slavery, but wouldn't it be more life-affirming to allow the individuals to make that choice for themselves? Maybe some of those people could have lived to escape or be emancipated after the Civil War.
    I've got problems with that sort of logic too, its the kind of war without limits rationalisation which resulted in the My Li massacre in Vietnam and the "burning of villages in order to save them".

Its the use in that manner that leads to the term becoming just another vagary like "pro-active" or "gentleman" or in some other contexts, at other times the word "christian" used to mean "kind", "courteous", "thoughtful" or equally prejorative opposites.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I agree and hence the thread.
    Which is making the anwers to thread so far a lot more confusing. Is life affirming anything the user views as positive to life?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Which is making the anwers to thread so far a lot more confusing. Is life affirming anything the user views as positive to life?
    I think it's an inherently subjective term. So, yeah, probably.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

A good question, it would seem so from the responses. What one poster would suggest is anathema another would consider essential, the definition of what is considered is all important, it does read like one man's meat is another man's poison in this instance.