• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life Affirming?

S

Society

Well, it's history or narcissism.

isn't that a self contradicting metaphor? it seems to me that in order to apply narcissism to group-centric mentalities one would have to view those groups as holistic individuals with a collective mentality separate from the rest, thus validating the notions of separatism.

Lark

isn't that a self contradicting metaphor? it seems to me that in order to apply narcissism to group-centric mentalities one would have to view those groups as holistic individuals with a collective mentality separate from the rest, thus validating the notions of separatism.

I've heard narcissism applied to groups and groupthink the same as I have heard it applied to individuals, I've also heard narcissism described as benign and malignant depending upon the consequences, perhaps its better to describe groups in terms of chauvinism because its the identity which is important to the group and groupthink and narcissism, to me, is a more fundamental deeper thing, like the difference between a river bed and the water which runs through it or is channelled through it.

On the other hand it could be just a matter of semantics or wordplay.

Mole

Permabanned
isn't that a self contradicting metaphor?

It's not a metaphor nor is it self contradicting.

Narcissists hate themselves so much they can't take their attention off themselves to learn from history.

Narcissism is commonly thought of as self love whereas it is self hatred.

And if we can't learn from history, we repeat it.

Narcissism is the lietmotif of Central, and the history of Jung and Myers and Briggs is disregarded as of no consequence.

S

Society

It's not a metaphor nor is it self contradicting.

Narcissists hate themselves so much they can't take their attention off themselves to learn from history.

right, i'm just saying that in order to associate the love or/and hate of one's self with the group you have to define the group as a self - as an individual separate from the rest, which then justifies the notion of separatism you are trying to condone.