User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Miracles

Default Miracles

How do you define a miracle? Do you believe in miracles?

Looking forward to @Peguy's response.

I'm open to miracles happening, but I wouldn't build a worldview out of it. They'd still be an anomaly. Even if I knew one occured, I'd still operate under the assumption that the universe works in fairly predictable terms. I wouldn't want it to "change my life". The minute I let it shape how I see everything, then I'd be one of those people ascribing supernatural explanations to everything I didn't understand. It'd just make me lazy.

Given that I believe in a completely sovereign God I try not to make much of a distinction between things that can only be ascribed to supernatural activity and anything else that occurs in reality. Everything is a miracle. Simply because we might understand part of the means by which something comes about shouldn't make something any less amazing then if we didn't understand it at all. A one year old child opening it's mouth to speak is no less a work of God and no less amazing than an ass opening its mouth to speak.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

garbage

A highly improbable, favorable outcome, usually the result of a coincidence.

They happen.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    How do you define a miracle? Do you believe in miracles?
    A positive and unexpected outcome in the face of certain doom/failure/disaster.

Yes.

Hate

I’ve experienced several, including supernatural, so for me it’s not a belief.

I also have empirical evidence to prove it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

When incredulity gives way to wonderment as never before, then it can be assured a miracle was witnessed. In simple terms, if it is not true it is very well invented. This means whatever blows our beliefs out the window is a miracle. One could say it was a miracle when we discovered the Earth is round, or that the Universe is expanding, and that we live in a multiverse of universes. These various explorations ahead and their many contingent possibilities should shower us with hope and fill our hearts with supreme delight. The horizon is within our gaze, and with a tenacious grip, we will seize our destiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Given that I believe in a completely sovereign God I try not to make much of a distinction between things that can only be ascribed to supernatural activity and anything else that occurs in reality. Everything is a miracle. Simply because we might understand part of the means by which something comes about shouldn't make something any less amazing then if we didn't understand it at all. A one year old child opening it's mouth to speak is no less a work of God and no less amazing than an ass opening its mouth to speak.
    I guess I am of a similar mindset. I think we, people, increase our own well-being when we view the good things which happen to us in life - both probable and improbable - with wonder and gratitude. Although, I don't know if I believe in a God entity which physically intervenes in the universe. Except for like you, I see divinity manifest through everything that exists. So in that sense, yes miracles happen every day.

On the other hand, I think it's useful to approach the things that you would like to see happen with a sort of "Lord helps those who help themselves" attitude. If you want something, you change the probability of it happening by your actions, by positioning yourself and attuning yourself to the possibilities.

Even if I believe in God (which I do), then I believe it was God who is the architect of the universe, and constructed the laws it's founded on. If something occurs that's completely outside those laws, I'd call them strange or an exception to the rule. They would need examination. I don't call everything else in nature a miracle too. That just diminishes what the actual miracles are, and why they may have happened, or if they happened, why God intervened in this one instant, but across the world, some kids randomly died by a landmine. What made this situation more important? I have to focus on particulars. Not "everything is miracle, so it's OK".

"God helps those who help themselves".. Funnily, a favorite saying of Joan of Arc. Her way of urging action...even if she was the recipient of unique circumstances herself.