• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like the Pope so much?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How deracinated. Read this -

When we can't identify with our own culture, we are deracinated.

And the deracinated mind is the homeless mind.

And the homeless mind is driven back to narcissistic fantasy.

And how appropriate in the make-believe world of mbti.
When we are forced to follow the mores of our inherited culture, we are artificially constrained. When our mind finally breaks free, all the world is its home.

Mole

Permabanned
When we are forced to follow the mores of our inherited culture, we are artificially constrained. When our mind finally breaks free, all the world is its home.

We have inherited a rich and creative culture. So our first duty is to come to know our culture, so we can make a creative contribution.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We have inherited a rich and creative culture. So our first duty is to come to know our culture, so we can make a creative contribution.
Just who is "we"? Not everyone comes from a western European background.

Mole

Permabanned
Just who is "we"? Not everyone comes from a western European background.

'We' is anyone who belongs to Western Civilization.

Perhaps the saddest are those who live in the West but are culturally impoverished.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
'We' is anyone who belongs to Western Civilization.

Perhaps the saddest are those who live in the West but are culturally impoverished.
Even sadder are those who live in the West, and think that is all that there is.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
P.P.S. - "Horney school girl?" Odd time to add a sexual element. That's weird, Peguy.

Maybe he was calling you a Karen Horney schoolgirl? That's not such a bad thing to be.

KDude

And all good propagandists are vitally interested in the response to the propaganda. So much so, good propagandists say, the meaning of propaganda is its response.

On a sidenote, that's always struck me as odd. In America, propaganda is clandestine or subliminal at best. While someone like Goebels was overt about it.. and even worked out of the "Office of Propaganda".

Not that this has anything to do with the church btw. Just a thought.

Mole

Permabanned
Even sadder are those who live in the West, and think that is all that there is.

C'mon every one and their dog knows there are three civilizations extant today - the Chinese civilization, the Indian Civilization and the Western Civilization.

I live in the West and our biggest trading partner is China and as I write we are forming a military alliance with India to secure the Indian ocean.

My only complaint is that the Indians are beating us at cricket.

Mole

Permabanned
Goebels and Bernays

On a sidenote, that's always struck me as odd. In America, propaganda is clandestine or subliminal at best. While someone like Goebels was overt about it.. and even worked out of the "Office of Propaganda".

Please! Please! Please! While the Germans had Goebels, the Americans have Edward Bernays, who wrote the book, "Propaganda", which has guided American propaganda ever since.

KDude

Please! Please! Please! While the Germans had Goebels, the Americans have Edward Bernays, who wrote the book, "Propaganda", which has guided American propaganda ever since.

News to me. I'll Google it. My point is, Propaganda has always seemed more tricky in the US. It's like you need a whole other level of fact checking.. because they aren't going to tell you yourself. American propaganda is espoused in the spirit of conmen, like PT Barnum. "There's a sucker born every minute."

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
C'mon every one and their dog knows there are three civilizations extant today - the Chinese civilization, the Indian Civilization and the Western Civilization.

I live in the West and our biggest trading partner is China and as I write we are forming a military alliance with India to secure the Indian ocean.
Well, I'm not everyone, or their dog. And I know better.

Mole

Permabanned
News to me. I'll Google it. My point is, Propaganda has always seemed more tricky in the US. It's like you need a whole other level of fact checking.. because they aren't going to tell you yourself. American propaganda is espoused in the spirit of conmen, like PT Barnum. "There's a sucker born every minute."

Propaganda is very interesting. For instance, propaganda is neither true nor false, rather propaganda is plausible or implausible.

So for instance, good propaganda can be false and plausible, and bad propaganda can be true and implausible.

And a good propagandists never believes their own propaganda. While the first temptation of a naive propagandist is to believe their own propaganda.

So for instance, the propagandists for mbti here on Central believe their own propaganda.

And every time you see an American advertisement, or see an American movie, or listen to Americanism, that is, American ideology, you are listening to Edward Bernays.

And why have you never heard of Edward Bernays, why is Edward Bernays subliminal? It's because the propaganda of Edward Bernays is subliminal and all the more effective for being invisible.

KDude

Propaganda is very interesting. For instance, propaganda is neither true nor false, rather propaganda is plausible or implausible.

So for instance, good propaganda can be false and plausible, and bad propaganda can be true and implausible.

And a good propagandists never believes their own propaganda. While the first temptation of a naive propagandist is to believe their own propaganda.

So for instance, the propagandist for mbti here on Central believe their own propaganda.

And every time you see an Amerian advertisement, or see an American movie, or listen to Americanism, that is American ideology, you are listening to Edward Bernays.

And why have you never heard of Edward Bernays, why is Edward Bernays subliminal? It's because the propaganda of Edward Bernays is subliminal and all the more effective for being invisible.

It could be that I've been subliminally manipulated to not have heard of him. Mostly though, it's just because propaganda is a recent interest of mine, and I haven't delved into it enough.

Goebels believed in the basic premise of his propaganda. Just maybe not all the ways he went about it. He believed the German people needed more than jobs and leaders to take pride in their country. The ultimate step to him was that they needed a national myth.. an identity founded on that, rather. He believed that for himself, as well.

Mole

Permabanned
It could be that I've been subliminally manipulated to not have heard of him. Mostly though, it's just because propaganda a recent interest of mine, and I haven't delved into it enough.

Goebels believed in the basic premise of his propaganda. Just maybe not all the ways he went about it. He believed the German people needed more than jobs and leaders to take pride in their country. The ultimate step to him was that they needed a national myth.. an identity founded on that, rather. He believed that for himself, as well.

So if Joseph Goebbels believed his own propaganda, he was a bad propagandist. He was such a bad propagandist, he destroyed his own country, his own family, and himself, not to mention millions of others.

By comparison Edward Bernays is a good propagandist, and led the successful industrialisation of America.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, let me put you on the spot. Please name another civilization extant today, apart from the three I mentioned.
OK, I'll bite, even though I know how this is going to turn out.

First, I don't see "Western civilization" as a single monolithic entity. Second, I would add mainly African (also not monolithic), and Islamic/Arabic. There are many others, much more limited in numbers and geography.

Of course, you can just try to dismiss these by claiming that they somehow don't count as civilizations; but this would mean simply that your definition is too restrictive. You would have a better case to claim your three candidates as the most widespread, or influential, or [insert debatable quality here] civilizations in the world today, but that is all.

KDude

So if Joseph Goebbels believed his own propaganda, he was a bad propagandist. He was such a bad propagandist, he destroyed his own country, his own family, and himself, not to mention millions of others.

lol.. Well, I think he finally stopped believing it at the last moment.

His last address was to the Berlin people, about staying strong against the incoming invasion. Right after that though, he killed his family and himself. Not enough belief for his own sake, but I guess he still wanted the Germans to not capitulate.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
By comparison Edward Bernays is a good propagandist, and led the successful industrialisation of America.
Ronald Reagan was one of our best propagandists. Cheerleader for America, par excellence. I find it ironically fitting that he ruled during the popularity of the musical Evita.

Instead of government we had a stage
Instead of ideas, a prima donna's rage
Instead of help we were given a crowd
She didn't say much, but she said it loud

Mole

Permabanned
OK, I'll bite, even though I know how this is going to turn out.

First, I don't see "Western civilization" as a single monolithic entity. Second, I would add mainly African (also not monolithic), and Islamic/Arabic. There are many others, much more limited in numbers and geography.

Of course, you can just try to dismiss these by claiming that they somehow don't count as civilizations; but this would mean simply that your definition is too restrictive. You would have a better case to claim your three candidates as the most widespread, or influential, or [insert debatable quality here] civilizations in the world today, but that is all.

A civilization contains all that humans are capable of.

So Islam doesn't contain science and so is not a civilization. And tribal Africa doesn't contain science and so also is not a civilization.

And the West is not monolithic. Over three thousand years the West has been formed by Ancient Greek philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment.