• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do people like the Pope so much?

Lark

I'm quite sure His Holiness, Francis, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Summus Pontifex Ecclesiae Universalis, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God is worried about what people on Typology Central think about him.

Dude, did you not get the memo? I thought that was the whole reason you and I were on assignment to the forum? :newwink:

Lark

Thinking of an athiest or liberal leader who is as popular with supporters and opposition alike as to involve as much media coverage, or even forum threads, as the Pope.

Nope.

Striking out on that one.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some of the most profound thinkers in history have also been Roman Catholics. I doubt quite a few were SJs (not to say SJs can't do that either lol.. I mean there are different styles and methods in the church not associated with just a few "types"). Whether they were philosophers, artists, composers. This is a good example of taking typology too far. Not all oppressed women either. Some were way before their time in that respect (Joan of Arc). Nor are they against science in the way evangelicals are. Hell, the guy who came up with the Big Bang theory and expanding universe model was a priest, who could go toe to toe with Einstein. The church is full of contradictions. But to me, that's interesting.

I actually wonder sometimes if people even understand how well the average Catholic is educated, let alone their priests (who have PhDs) ...my best friend from high school, an ENFJ, went to Catholic school until 9th grade, where they were studying ...physics. In 9th grade I was considered smrt because I took advanced biology. I believe some people in public schools are still taking earth science in the 9th grade.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Exactly.

In the UK the celebrity Jimmy Saville abused more people, over a longer span, with far more opportunities for the authorities to apprehend him than any of the RCC clergy in the UK and ROI combined. So I guess that celebrity and secular society actually cause peadophilia or are a greater cause than roman catholicism. I mena just to employ the thinly disguised sectarian logic of the forumers hating on roman catholicism. For the Nth time.

The reality is that peadophiles exploit any avenues open to them, if at one time and place becoming a priest permits it they'll do that, if at another joining the police, social services, cultivating a public persona or celebrity its what they'll do.

I'd not be surprised if the present stoking of hatred for the RCC has got its fair share of pedophile support because its the mother of all diversions from their behaviour, so while everyone is busily focused on an institution which is doing its best to rectify its mistakes and attempt to prevent anything of that kind happening again they wont be focused on as yet undetected ways.

Exactly, this has become my view on all religion; the people who abuse it are people who would have done those things anyway, and religion is just the method they happened to choose because of availability or what have you.

Some pedophiles choose to be middle school gym teachers.

It would be like saying all Muslims are terrorists. This is patently false, and I actually have been enlightened to just how much culture in certain countries influences Islamic practices within that country.

It's sort of like the idiot American evangelical saying Jesus was a Capitalist. That has nothing to do with Christianity. It has everything to do with America.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
While literalism kind of coincides with wider strains in Western thought, imo.

CAN I JUST SING THIS FROM THE ROOF TOPS? CAN WE GET THIS THROUGH THEIR HEADS?

I can't believe sometimes how much I agree with the way you think about certain ideas.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dig a lot about Catholicism, but not so much the religion as institution. I get why the institution exists, and if we're talking objectively it's a pretty impressive piece of machinery. Still, I feel like people get so caught up in that aspect of it that it diverts a lot of Catholics from having a relationship with God. The Vatican itself is a good case in point. I'm guessing the majesty of the seat of the Church was suppose to give the plebs an inkling of the splendor and power of God, but what a simple-minded way to go about it. I feel a similar way about the Pope. The amount of pomp and circumstance surrounding the selection of a new Pope goes back to the bad old days when the Papacy had as much (or more) temporal power as most kings did. It's sort of a travesty that those kinds of traditions have remained intact.

I'm impressed by the new guy, though. The humility of making his first prayer a blessing he received from the crowd was just lovely. I'm also pretty stoaked about the fact that he's Jesuit. So the affections of Wind-up Rex are basically his to lose right now.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm quite sure His Holiness, Francis, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Summus Pontifex Ecclesiae Universalis, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God is worried about what people on Typology Central think about him.

The Church invented the word 'propaganda' as in 'propaganda de fide' meaning propagating the faith.

And all good propagandists are vitally interested in the response to the propaganda. So much so, good propagandists say, the meaning of propaganda is its response.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And the Pope is important because he is the Head of a Church with 1.2 thousand million members.
This is the only reason for the rest of us to care; we need not share the faith to do so.

It behooves him to worry about what his millions of church members think. There are many who will follow his example, for good or for ill.

I actually wonder sometimes if people even understand how well the average Catholic is educated, let alone their priests (who have PhDs) ...my best friend from high school, an ENFJ, went to Catholic school until 9th grade, where they were studying ...physics. In 9th grade I was considered smrt because I took advanced biology. I believe some people in public schools are still taking earth science in the 9th grade.
It seems we have had this discussion before. Your estimates of Catholic education are much exaggerated. As anecdotal evidence, I was raised Catholic, and out of the many priests I have known, only one had a PhD. He was a professor at the local seminary who came to say one of the many Sunday masses at our parish. Conversely, I work with many PhDs, and there are very few Catholics among them outside of the local catholic college. Catholics make up a much larger percentage of our management, though.

As for learning physics in 9th grade, unless one is also learning calculus, it is better considered "physics appreciation". Physics concepts can be found even in the elementary curriculum. The name alone does not say much about the demands or difficulty of the class.

Mole

Permabanned
This is the only reason for the rest of us to care [for the Pope]; we need not share the faith to do so.

Let me try to give you another reason:

It is a truism because it is true: "the history of Europe is the history of the Church". And the Church in question is the Roman Catholic Church, headed by the Pope for two thousand years.

And you are a son of Europe. And for a son not to know the history of his parent over the last three thousand years is negligent.

The reason you should care for the Pope is to care for and understand yourself.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is a truism because it is true: "the history of Europe is the history of the Church". And the Church in question is the Roman Catholic Church, headed by the Pope for two thousand years.

And you are a son of Europe. And for a son not to know the history of his parent over the last three thousand years is negligent.

The reason you should care for the Pope is to care for and understand yourself.
Sloppy, sloppy.

Europe is much older than the Catholic Church, so their histories coincide only to a point.

You are assuming much about my personal background. Perhaps I do know my "parent" much better than you think.

I care about understanding the Pope because of his potential to influence the world at large.

Mole

Permabanned
Sloppy, sloppy.

Europe is much older than the Catholic Church, so their histories coincide only to a point.

You are assuming much about my personal background. Perhaps I do know my "parent" much better than you think.

I care about understanding the Pope because of his potential to influence the world at large.

Socrates was born in 469 BC, so Europe only goes back 500 years before Catholicism.

And Europe has influenced the whole world already. It is quite impossible to understand the influence of Europe without understanding the influence of the Pope.

Perhaps your mind is under the influence of Protestant Capitalists.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Socrates was born in 469 BC, so Europe only goes back 500 years before Catholicism.

And Europe has influenced the whole world already. It is quite impossible to understand the influence of Europe without understanding the influence of the Pope.
Just what do you think was in Europe before that date? Dinosaurs???

Mole

Permabanned
Just what do you think was in Europe before that date? Dinosaurs???

Come on, I am talking about the culture of Europe.

And the culture of Europe is based on Ancient Greek Philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment. So it's about 3,000 years old.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Come on, I am talking about the culture of Europe.

And the culture of Europe is based on Ancient Greek Philosophy, Judaism, Christianity and the Enlightenment. So it's about 3,000 years old.
How narrow minded. Read this:

The Chalice and the Blade

Mole

Permabanned
Deracinated

How narrow minded. Read this:

The Chalice and the Blade

How deracinated. Read this -

When we can't identify with our own culture, we are deracinated.

And the deracinated mind is the homeless mind.

And the homeless mind is driven back to narcissistic fantasy.

And how appropriate in the make-believe world of mbti.