User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Go take that up with fundamentalist evangelicals then. They're the most strident about literalism. I don't want to be put in a position to explain their view. I want nothing to do with them.

Modern liberal scholars are literalists as well, but they take a more "Discovery channel"/archaeological approach, and like to illuminate the context of the world or conditions surrounding the texts, and what the text was like for the people it was meant for (unlike fundamentalists though, they don't want to recreate that world. They don't really concern themselves with what the text means for us).
    We agree at least on fundamentalists. I have no patience for them either. I've seen some of those "Discovery channel" style biblical exposes. They have merit, as long as they stick to the facts, and identify speculation for what it is. Still, precisely because of my inclination to figurative interpretations, it almost seems like they are barking up the wrong tree if the goal is spiritual growth. It really doesn't matter whether the remains of the ark sit on Mt Ararat to this day. It is the moral of the story that is important, just as with Aesop. Everone understands him without the need to prove there really was a tortoise and a hare.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We agree at least on fundamentalists. I have no patience for them either. I've seen some of those "Discovery channel" style biblical exposes. They have merit, as long as they stick to the facts, and identify speculation for what it is. Still, precisely because of my inclination to figurative interpretations, it almost seems like they are barking up the wrong tree if the goal is spiritual growth. It really doesn't matter whether the remains of the ark sit on Mt Ararat to this day. It is the moral of the story that is important, just as with Aesop. Everone understands him without the need to prove there really was a tortoise and a hare.
    Their goal isn't spiritual growth, I think. At least not on the scholarly end. Or if it is spiritual, it's sort of a social/political gospel. Which is cool too. But they don't really emphasize the interior and figurative spirituality I think you're talking about. The [Christian] groups that tend to interpret the bible in those ways are orthodox, gnostic/copts, and some Catholics (some Catholics can be pretty fundamentalist too. Or liberal. There seems to be a representative for all types). Afaik, all of the early church commentaries are like this. While literalism kind of coincides with wider strains in Western thought, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    I don't claim to know much about the Pope, otherwise I wouldn't have made this thread in the first place.
    It is necessary to share the Faith to understand why the Pope is so important.

So the Pope is important because he is Christ's Vicar on Earth, in other words, he represents Jesus Christ on Earth.

And the Pope is important because he is in a direct line from Peter, the apostle.

And the Pope is important because he is the Head of a Church with 1.2 thousand million members.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I always thought the english word 'Pope' would stand for things you can get out of your nose, which would be 'Popel' in german. I just recently found out that it means Papst :/
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    pedofile mascot and enabler. religion is anti-spirituality and a congame. the earth would be lighter...
    Agreed. Fuck dat shit, fuck pigs, and fuck da Pope.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Agreed. Fuck dat shit, fuck pigs, and fuck da Pope.
    I'm quite sure His Holiness, Francis, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Summus Pontifex Ecclesiae Universalis, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God is worried about what people on Typology Central think about him.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I'm quite sure His Holiness, Francis, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Summus Pontifex Ecclesiae Universalis, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the State of Vatican City, Servant of the Servants of God is worried about what people on Typology Central think about him.
    LOL "primate."

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    LOL "primate."
    That makes you giggly like a horney school girl? To each their own I guess. *shrugs*

In the Western Church a primate is a bishop possessing superior authority, not only over the bishops of his own province, like the metropolitan, but over several provinces and metropolitans. This does not refer to episcopal powers, which each bishop possesses fully, but to ecclesiastical jurisdiction and organization, especially in national churches.

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12423b.htm

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    That makes you giggly like a horney school girl? To each their own I guess. *shrugs*

P.S. - Everyone knows it doesn't mean "primate" in the Linnaean sense, hahahaha. Don't be fresh!

P.P.S. - "Horney school girl?" Odd time to add a sexual element. That's weird, Peguy.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I wonder what sexually charged primates look like in authority positions.