12 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default If you could know...

the exact day you were going to die? Would you?

What about other knowledge that may or not be beneficial to you to know, but would be impactful in terms of how you might live differently, perceive things differently, or interact/appreciate something differently?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Hell no. I'd be too obsessed about it. Every day would seem like a countdown to the end and would affect my ability to enjoy life now.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

your resident asshole

No way!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

If you could know the exact day you were going to die? Would you?

No, I can't say that I would. It seems that I wouldn't be able to live my life as comfortably being aware of the exact date of my upcoming death. Sure, some people might feel that they could make more of their time knowing how much they've got, but for me I feel that I would only worry about it so then that knowledge would actually end up taking more away from my life than it would give to it.
    “The first progressive step by a mind overwhelmed by the strangeness of things is to realize that this feeling of strangeness is shared with all men and that human reality, in its entirety, suffers from the distance which separates it from the rest of the universe." -Albert Camus

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

How would you ever know with absolute certainty?

I dont believe it would be a good thing to know, its better to assume that everyday could be your last because eventually one of them will be.

I've been better at saying or thinking that than living it but I'm trying to change that.

I suspect I will die on a monday or tuesday or wednesday or a thursday or a friday or a saturday or a sunday. I supect I will die on a mundane day of the week.

And it is the mundane from which I wish to escape.

I am surrounded by the mundane. Everyone has a mundane walk. Will I turn my face to wall to escape?

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I would not want to know. That said, I'd certainly hope the ability to find out was a one time offer; knowing my curious nature, I'd be unable to resist the temptation to find out if the offer lingered, even though I know finding out and knowing would probably bother me.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Infinite Bubble

No. It would act as a horrible deadline for trying to get everything I wanted to do done. Then I wouldn't bother because I'd remember it's all a waste of time.

Society

you people are all thinking about this the wrong way....

you are thinking its a deadline telling you when you'll die. as i see it, it's also a table telling you all the days that you are not going to die in, no matter what happens. imagine just having one of those: an entire day that you know, no matter what you're going to do, you're not going to die.

jump from a plane, swim with the sharks, go try erotic asphyxiation, fuck the wife of an insane totalitarian warlord, do some heroic shit, hop on cars, fight lions, do every act in this song, it won't matter.

now imagine every day but one for the rest of your life being like that - utter immunity form death.

i'd go for it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I was thinking if I knew I could take out a huge life insurance policy and my family would be loaded.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers