Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
I'm not sure there's a game theory solution to the problem of power corruption, I think perhaps if there's some kind of innoculation against corruption, character and integrity, it can make a difference though.

I do think that the "strong leader" idea in a crisis does happen but I see it as an escape from freedom or a fear of freedom, having to make decisions is burdensome and some personalities with a weak character will seek to revert to an earlier stage of life in which they could dependent upon another.

In most instances even the "strong leader" is doing so, they will tyrannise over subordinates, but seek to submit to a higher authority themselves, even if it is an entity or concept rather than an individual, ie "nation", "race", "state", "people".

It could be the fight or flight has something to do with this but I suspect that this is more situational than what I describe, it is a matter of a behavioural response vs. a behavioural response driven by strong affects and rationalised during and afterward.
That's not how I see it. I think that in order to tackle large scale problems cooperation is needed. However, it is difficult for humans to interact effectively when power is equally distributed in a crisis, because there is no commonality of being which allows them to agree on what must be done, so what tends to happen is that we "flock" in various sub groupings each with it's own agenda, and thus process continues and scales up until we get the hierarchies in society we are so familiar with. However, sometimes a new bridge between various centers of being can be created to bridge the gap, but this tends to happen only in more complex systems with excess resources.