User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 19 of 19

  1. #11
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Faith is an extremely powerful force, Victor.

    You should actually look into the power of faith, whether it's in Lady Luck or Our Lady; people who trust in things like divine order and who can set clear, loving, non-harmful intentions actually tend to produce results, including in their own physical and mental health.

    Faith and acceptance are both profound states of mind, no matter how you want to analyze it, it's something quite healthy that some people are foolishly attempting to eradicate from the modern world.

  2. #12
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Faith is an extremely powerful force, Victor.

    You should actually look into the power of faith, whether it's in Lady Luck or Our Lady; people who trust in things like divine order and who can set clear, loving, non-harmful intentions actually tend to produce results, including in their own physical and mental health.

    Faith and acceptance are both profound states of mind, no matter how you want to analyze it, it's something quite healthy that some people are foolishly attempting to eradicate from the modern world.
    Faith in the roulette wheel, or faith in the fall of the dice, will make us poorer. But a knowledge of statistics shows the world as it is and may make us rich like David Walsh.

    Of course faith in Lady Luck or Our Lady makes us feel better, but at our cost.

    Ask yourself, my dear Marmotini, when was the last time you saw a marmot at the roulette wheel or throwing the dice with their little paws? Or when was the last time you saw a marmot with their little paws clasped in prayer?

    Indeed I can find no one who has seen Marmotini herself invoking Lady Luck at the roulette wheel.

  3. #13
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Faith in the roulette wheel, or faith in the fall of the dice, will make us poorer. But a knowledge of statistics shows the world as it is and may make us rich like David Walsh.

    Of course faith in Lady Luck or Our Lady makes us feel better, but at our cost.

    Ask yourself, my dear Marmotini, when was the last time you saw a marmot at the roulette wheel or throwing the dice with their little paws? Or when was the last time you saw a marmot with their little paws clasped in prayer?

    Indeed I can find no one who has seen Marmotini herself invoking Lady Luck at the roulette wheel.
    Faith is not the same as believing in luck, the belief in luck is more likely a suggestion toward the idea that you are in sync with the flow of the universe, or not, at any given time. People who believe in luck are basically looking for signs if they're on the right path or not. I think the Chinese idea of luck is compatible with Taoism because it suggests that the wheel of life goes up and down (and it does), and that you have to be "in tune" enough to realize if you're on the most auspicious path or not; if you're not, better hold back and wait instead of throwing those dice. Or to put it in more Biblical terms, "for everything there is a season, turn, turn, turn!"

    Marmots don't have to pray because they're already one with All That Is, or the Tao, or what some people call God.

    Marmotini believes that faith in the spirit of love and acceptance actually is a VERY powerful frame of mind. It doesn't mean you get everything you want, it means you believe the highest best path can be revealed to you and your needs will be met, because you believe and do your best.

    It's why even in magic they say you can't MAKE someone fall in love with you, but you can draw love to you. Similar principle.

    Most religious philosophies are strikingly similar, so much so, that I think it's foolish to not try to understand something that has appeared in every culture.

    I didn't get it until fairly recently, though, it's like something was obscured, and then a light came on, and it all suddenly made sense. I had an Ni moment, I suppose, because when one philosophy made sense, slowly but surely all the other ones did too, even ones I'd read and rejected before on the basis of poor teaching.

    I am amazed.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Almost all gamblers believe in luck, or Lady Luck, as they call her.

    But the fact of the matter is that gambling is precisely controlled by the laws of statistics.

    This discrepancy between luck and statistics makes bookmakers and the owners of casinos rich, and it makes the gamblers poor.

    We have the proof of this with David Walsh in Oz.

    David is a mathematician who calculates the statistics of gambling and wins and wins and wins until he has won a fortune which he has spent on a wonderful museum, MONA, in Hobart, Tasmania on the Derwent River. Click on - www.mona.net.au

    But David is the exception. He doesn't believe in Lady Luck any more than an atheist believes in Allah.

    David is a man of the Enlightenment, while those who believe in Lady Luck are like those who believe in the Our Lady, the Mother of God.
    For a non-believer Victor you sure do spend a lot of time thinking about religion and Roman Catholicism.

  5. #15
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Marmots don't have to pray because they're already one with All That Is, or the Tao, or what some people call God.

    I am amazed.
    I knew it, these cute marmots have it all together, they are amazing.

  6. #16
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    His Holiness, Victor I

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    For a non-believer Victor you sure do spend a lot of time thinking about religion and Roman Catholicism.
    Who can blame me when the first African Pope in 183 AD was His Holiness, Victor I?

    So perhaps, dear Lark, knowing I am named after Victor I, the first African Pope, may garner me a little more respect.
    Last edited by Mole; 03-10-2013 at 09:44 PM.

  7. #17
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I don't see the appeal of gambling. I do believe in luck though but more in a random way where you're not expecting or hoping for it.

  8. #18
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I don't see the appeal of gambling.
    Same. I've never gambled a penny of mine. Never even been inside a casino. I do want to go to one sometime, but mainly just to drink, put chips in the slot machines and then be able to say I've been.

  9. #19
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Luck as a word is appropriate to describe the variables that can cause knock-on effects which are too small for us to see.

    As for gambling, couldn't care less. Luck in that arena is more statistical and mathematical than luck in other areas.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

    Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Similar Threads

  1. Is hard rock music completely dead in our day and age?
    By Typh0n in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 11:45 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 04:34 PM
  3. Our Lord and Saviour
    By FigerPuppet in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 05:56 AM
  4. Come Take Our Tests and Post Your Results
    By ygolo in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO