User Tag List

First 234

The Good Folk

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Boy, I just can't wait for some folk-typologist to start whizzing poetically about how the "philosophies" of some types are more optimistic than that of others or about how some types are inherently Western or Eastern.
    The good folk tell me that some of us are SolitaryWalkerish and some of us are Victorish.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Interestingly, China has a better word for John chapter 1's use of the "Word" (greek "logos"). In Chinese translations, John is translated "In the beginning was the Tao.." (this isn't some new fad based translation btw). Tao captures a lot of the spirit of John's meaning of logos. "Word" was a carryover from Jerome's Latin translation "Verbum". It doesn't convey it appropriately. Logos was a living, all embodying force. Like Tao. There was power in "speech" under this view, but it goes beyond just "the Word".

Anyways, just thought I'd chime in. It's kind of neat that a Chinese translation is more accurate, in this case.
    I agree, agree so much! The Bible actually made a lot more sense to me after I began studying Taoism, I realized the broad concepts it was teaching that are so "literalized" in many protestant churches in the U.S.

I've also stumbled across some interesting interpretations of Christianity, and I've read the bloggings of a Muslim woman from a country where there isn't a lot of cultural violent sexism or terrorism explain the fundamentals of the way she interprets Islam, and suddenly something clicked for me, and I was really able to see how similar most Eastern thought is, although the Abrahamic faiths (Christianity, Judaism, Islam) are less preferred by me, I prefer Taoism and Zen Buddhism, but Christianity in a broad interpretation holds interest for me because of the culture in which I was raised and currently live.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    It has nothing to do with grammar. Learn to read Koine and get back to me...
    KDude is right, he's looking at it from an Ni perspective, I think, where he's looking at the underlying meaning...and the underlying meaning of Word is the essential intention of energy that brings all things into being, the formless thing which gives thing form: another term for the formless thing which gives things form is Tao.