User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Those pesky nuns. Tsk tsk. Reading books by those puppy eating yellow people.

USA USA USA USA!!
    but... but... she was nice, and helped poor people and had a really good education and is friends with my grandma!

of course I wasn't in the US, which might have something to do with all of the commie literature
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I first read the I Ching when a nun gave me a copy of it while I was spending the summer in a convent
    There are very few nuns left in the convent today, but I notice they are interested in mbti.

So I am not surprised the nuns were interested in the I Ching, because both the I Ching and mbti are superstitions, not based on evidence or reason.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    There are very few nuns left in the convent today, but I notice they are interested in mbti.

So I am not surprised the nuns were interested in the I Ching, because both the I Ching and mbti are superstitions, not based on evidence or reason.
    never heard mention of the MBTI while there, and for the amount of good that they did who cares?

I'm talking about the book, not the divination technique, if you're getting the two confused...
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Tradition, authority and faith are unreasonable?
    That wasn't the implication of my claim. It is possible to use reason to arrive at the same conclusion as those provided by tradition, authority and faith. However, to use reason means to think in an autonomous fashion: a person whose worldview is guided by tradition or authority only accepts the conclusions that were offered to him or her.

never heard mention of the MBTI while there, and for the amount of good that they did who cares?

I'm talking about the book, not the divination technique, if you're getting the two confused...

Boy, I just can't wait for some folk-typologist to start whizzing poetically about how the "philosophies" of some types are more optimistic than that of others or about how some types are inherently Western or Eastern.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Boy, I just can't wait for some folk-typologist to start whizzing poetically about how the "philosophies" of some types are more optimistic than that of others or about how some types are inherently Western or Eastern.
    it could be worse... they could (and probably will) assign them MBTI types

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Pessimism is a form of optimism because it challenges things in an attempt to cause change.

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Pessimism is a form of optimism because it challenges things in an attempt to cause change.
    Not necessarily. Example: When I was a kid, me and a friend used to line up trashcans and leap over them (we were bored). A new kid came by and wanted to try. I was "pessimistic". I didn't really want "change" though. I wanted to see him hit the ground face first - which is exactly what happened.

Point being.. sometimes pessimism is merely to point out the ensuing train wreck.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

... and sometimes pessimism is just hopeless

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

it could be worse... they could (and probably will) assign them MBTI types
    Ok, who here wants to argue that an ISTJ is a pessimistic type? There's something about your ISTJ uncle that's dour and glum, so there we go, there is something about ISTJs that's inherently pessimistic.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Ok, who here wants to argue that an ISTJ is a pessimistic type? There's something about your ISTJ uncle that's dour and glum, so there we go, there is something about ISTJs that's inherently pessimistic.
    I dunno... the one at the other end of the couch seems pretty optimistic about the idea that he'll have time for both me AND WOW... and I'm feeling pessimistically like I'm going to be a WOW widow... but then again, that's anecdotal evidence that can't stand up to the TRUTH of a valid and scientific system!