User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

In my experience, many INTP's, including Einstein (I've heard he's an ENTP... I don't think it really matters though) have eventually come to the conclusion that there is a god, but not one in the christian biblical sense who takes part in the fates of man.
    Here has been my spanning thoughts on God since I was a child:

Early years to 6th grade: God exists because I was raised that way, even though I believe in both Adam and Eve and evolution (i.e. Adam and Eve weren't the first but they were- double think).

6th grade: I don't believe in God because of the Holocaust. If God existed, this would not have happened. Becomes Buddhist, meditates, etc.

7th & 8th grade: I really don't know (I'll just keep meditating).

Highschool: learns about agnosticism, realizes that the only truly rational belief is that it is up in the air

College: agnostic leaning towards deist, formulates that God could exist, be he particle or some other non-sentient force. He could also be sentient, and we could all be simulated. We could be derived from aliens.

Aliens. I like that one.

Tl;dr: God is defined by me as something that is outside of our comprehension or current knowledge and understanding, be it sentient or not.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm an agnostic. My rationale for this:

Scientific reasons for the existence of things: Big Bang and evolution. Also no scientific proof for the existence of God

If God is truly a loving and merciful God, why does God allow bad things to happen? Things like war, natural disasters killing thousands of innocent people, etc. Makes me lose faith in a God. Also if God was a truly loving God would God still love and accept people who don't believe God rather than letting them burn in hell?

I think the first is more Ti and the second is more Fi. Both play a big part in my agnostic stance.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

T types focus on what can be concretely measured. F types focus on what connects everything.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    If God is truly a loving and merciful God, why does God allow bad things to happen? Things like war, natural disasters killing thousands of innocent people, etc. Makes me lose faith in a God. Also if God was a truly loving God would God still love and accept people who don't believe God rather than letting them burn in hell?
    This is a bit unrelated to the topic, but I'd like to address this.

I really dislike it when people say this. The existence of a deity does not change depending on whether or not they are good or evil. Do you not believe in things you do not like? I hate cancer, so should I not believe in it? This sort of thinking is very illogical and unfortunately all too common.

There are other reasons people may logically come to not believe in a supreme being, but this is not one of them.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I'm a INFP and I subscribe to the God of Einstein/Spinoza.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    T types focus on what can be concretely measured. F types focus on what connects everything.
    That sounds a heck of a lot more like S/N to me.

Enneagram
    9w8

I'm not an INFP or an INTP, that I know of anyways. Still, these are interesting questions, so I'll try to give them interesting answers.

If left to themselves in meditation for a very long time, do you think an INTP and an INFP would arrive at a similar conclusion of the existence of god?
    My answer to question 1: I think it is inconclusive.

And now, my reasoning behind that 1st answer, which also answers Question 2
    Or do you think both personalities would veer off in completely different directions?
    :
    Because, even within the framework of MBTI, two INFPs may come to different conclusion while two INTPs may also come to different conclusions, howbeit, using the same process to arrive at it. One of each may come to the same conclusion or to a different conclusion. And here is my response for Question 3:[QUOTE] In the end, does logic hold any difference over emotion?[/QUOTE]Faith isn't about emotion and it isn't about logic. It's more about the ability to see what can't be seen. It is the substance of hope and it is the evidence of things not seen. In a very narrow sense, anyone who plans for the next day has a type of faith. There is no logical proof that a person will be here the next day. There is only a probability, but a probability is not a certainty and it is a certainty that all humans die; therefore it is a cetainty that one day a person will be making plans for a day when he or she will not be here. Still, we make plans. We plan birthday parties and get-togethers, we plan to finish school and to get a job. We plan, therefore we hope and if, according the Paul the Apostle, we hope, we therefore have faith which is the "substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen." Whether or not Fi or Ti would lead one to this understanding, is therefore, I believe, an unanswerable question. People will still try to answer it because some of us want to make it appear like we're smart, some like we're spiritual, some like we're just so "full of ourselves" and some will just "wonder" it to death. haha. [I am just being sarcastic with that last sentence, so please folks, don't get all offended and what-not. Human nature is funny and if we don't laugh at ourselves, who will?]

Are the conclusions of modern thinkers with the backing of math and science any less sophisticated than that of nomads?
    They're not less sophisticated, just a lot fancier and we tend to think we're smarter than we really are. On one hand, the conclusions of each generation disprove the assumptions of previous ones while many conclusions from past generations often show a superiority to modern conclusions. What I'm saying is that all of the logic in the world, all of the advancements in science and technology cannot prove or disprove the existence of a diety. If God is real, then it stands to reason that he would be beyond measuring, otherwise, he wouldn't be a god.

Personal note: As an afterthought, if any cognitive funciton could lead us to faith, I think it would be Ni. Perhaps Ne could, too, theoretically.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Arendee View Post
    I'm going to compare INTP's and INFP's for a minute.

In my experience, many INTP's, including Einstein (I've heard he's an ENTP... I don't think it really matters though) have eventually come to the conclusion that there is a god, but not one in the christian biblical sense who takes part in the fates of man.

I find INFP's to be more often than not spiritual people with a belief in a god as well, be it a manlike god or an energy.
    Your experience is apparently severely limited. Visit INTPc for a broader perspective. Belief in a creator is not typical of INTPs. Also, Einstein/Spinoza/whoever are products of their time as much as products of their type.

If left to themselves in meditation for a very long time, do you think an INTP and an INFP would arrive at a similar conclusion of the existence of god?
    No.
    Or do you think both personalities would veer off in completely different directions?
    Since they tend to value different things, it's quite likely.
    In the end, does logic hold any difference over emotion?
    non-sensical.

Are the conclusions of modern thinkers with the backing of math and science any less sophisticated than that of nomads?
    wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    That sounds a heck of a lot more like S/N to me.
    It does, but at the same time, I know what he means. (For once)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I’m often surprised by the number of people who claim to know so many of the rarest types like INFP and INTP. I am one of those, more or less, and despite a desire to know them and a natural affinity, I can only claim to have ever met a small number, and so I don’t know enough to make generalizations of my own. So I find the very thesis, specious, yo. Lol
    Antonio Damasio has written that emotion underpins every action and belief, and that it is a critical factor in all decision making. If this hypothesis is true (and I believe it is), then the distraction between Fi and Ti is a misleading.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    This is a bit unrelated to the topic, but I'd like to address this.

I really dislike it when people say this. The existence of a deity does not change depending on whether or not they are good or evil. Do you not believe in things you do not like? I hate cancer, so should I not believe in it? This sort of thinking is very illogical and unfortunately all too common.

There are other reasons people may logically come to not believe in a supreme being, but this is not one of them.
    Well for awhile, I did toy with the idea that God is not always good, contrary to my religous upbringing.

And yes, there are things I don't deny, even things I don't like. Like cancer and war and death.

I should have phrased what I said better.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne