User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Things have gotten decidedly worse for me over my lifetime.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Believe only half of what you read and you'll begin to see the clearer picture.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Is that a response to me?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Things have gotten decidedly worse for me over my lifetime.
    Due to society or due to personal circumstances?

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Generally speaking, people tend to long for the 'good old days' or the 'Golden Age'...that never was. They idealize the past which at the same time makes them lose the perspective of how much better we have it right NOW than we ever did.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that many people believe that society in general is going down hill, yet if you were to ask those same people if they themselves have helped or hurt society, they will almost always say helped. If all these people have helped society, then why would it be going down hill?
    I think the situation we are in is that the stakes are getting higher and higher. At this point, we have many avenues to inflict severe damage on ourselvses. We also have avenues to do great things.

The problem is that a lot of our factions are willing to do great harm in order to "win" in some battle over pet peeves that they believe are high stakes. So naturally, even those doing great harm believe themselves to be righteous.

I think most people want to lead the best lives they can, but often succumb to baser impulses. I think the people we most have to most worry about are the ones unable to see any faults in themselves.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that many people believe that society in general is going down hill, yet if you were to ask those same people if they themselves have helped or hurt society, they will almost always say helped. If all these people have helped society, then why would it be going down hill?

I do not believe that society is degrading. I believe that people today are more rational, more educated, more humane, more friendly, and more thoughtful than people in the past. It seems to me that those who do not believe so just choose to look in the past to a few role models while willfully forgetting the rest of the population. If you look at the entirety of humanity in the past, it do not look so glamourous; it makes people today look much better.

Thoughts?
    I think you're totally wrong about this.

What do you base your observation upon? How do you conclude that people are more rational, educated, humane and friendly?

Never had it so good progressivism is dull, its based upon derisive, often revisionist and biased views of the past and logical fallacies.

I mean its pretty basic, you could no more have a great today with the seeds being sown in a yester year than plan weeds and get roses.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

what's more important? the education or the educators?
    if all people over age 4 up and disappeared at this very moment, would all those 4 and under whom survived develope a civilized civilization? or some lordoftheflies anomaly? our brain hasn't evolved a whole lot in the last 30 some odd thousand years
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    Generally speaking, people tend to long for the 'good old days' or the 'Golden Age'...that never was. They idealize the past which at the same time makes them lose the perspective of how much better we have it right NOW than we ever did.
    What seems to be lacking is our understanding of why things are much better now than they were 300 years ago.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    What seems to be lacking is our understanding of why things are much better now than they were 300 years ago.
    oh yes? like how? I mean, now we have a lot more advanced medicine to reduce infant & mother mortality rate, raise life expectancy, prevent & treat a lot of diseases. We have the technology to bring clean water to more population, better access to education, more secular societies. ANything else missing?
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]