User Tag List

View Poll Results: Self Immolation is...?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brave

5 26.32%
  • Stupid

7 36.84%
  • Crazy

1 5.26%
  • Other (state in thread)

6 31.58%
123 Last

Thread: Self-immolation

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Lightbulb Self-immolation

, a Tibetan man has been the 101St man to immolate himself in protest over China's control of Tibet. what do you think of self immolators? What is their psychology? How effective are these protests? Would you ever suicide in protest/for a cause?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

WALMART

Makes for bad ass album covers, lyrical content.

Glycerine

I think it's sad but brave. It's highly symbolic of their struggle. China supposedly kidnapped the kid who was to become the next spiritual leader and inserted a government-approved "replacement". The kid has never been found. I was acquaintances with a few Tibetans in the Students for a Free Tibet and for the most the part, the culture is really peace-loving.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I would never commit suicide for a cause, I would never engage in any sort of doomed to failure and in the process death efforts for a cause either.

It wasnt always this way. There was a time I bought a lot of left wing martyrology and its got precident in Irish history and culture too.

Although I decided that its better and also more difficult to live for than to die for what is right, especially when you come to the realisation that some things are not going to be right, the world is imperfect, there are injustices, impossible odds, wrongs which single individuals, even mass movements, time and generational shifts will not put right, even if you life to see the beginning of something meaningful you will not live to see it through (although you will not live to see it betrayed or corrupted or collapse either).

Choosing to live and in doing so letting your own life be some sort of testamony is the harder thing to do.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

It's kind of both noble and stupid. I admire conviction, but I feel like their instincts for self-preservation/improving the world to their liking are off.
    Rational idealist. Ethical hedonist. Secular humanist. Libertarian centrist. Lawful neutral. Melancholic. Medicated Bipolar I. Cat person. Kuudere. Dark magical girl. Slytherin. Alcoholic milkshake enthusiast.
    Johari | Nohari

The dream to awaken our world.

If I'm going to die by flame, I'd rather go out like Joan of Arc.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Mmm...the entire mindset of people who would do this sort of thing is "be the change you wish to see in the world." Meaning you have to change yourself, and some advanced buddhists, yogis, etc. can do things like live in a dark cave without eating or drinking for a week or something, just to prove how much they've obtained mind over matter. That to me is pretty impressive. And highly unlikely that I'd ever even want to achieve it, to me it seems like over-doing it.

So yeah in order to protest they would kill themselves in a dramatic public way while keeping perfect mental self-control instead of killing others or committing violence against others.

It certainly would make certain types of people take them more seriously. However, I'm not really clear on what good suicide ever does. It seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Like it's not as ethical as it appears, because it's still destroying life: your own.

The mentality, though, is probably "I don't matter as an individual because we are all One and I am doing this for the good of all."

I can't say that I really understand this sort of thing. I really don't.

We are meaning creating animals and we create meanings that reward self immolation.

From the kamikaze pilots of Japan, to the buddhists of Asia, to the suicide bombers of Islam, all are rewarded by their ideology for self immolation.

And we are not immune because our nuclear weapons point in one directon: self immolation.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Meaning you have to change yourself, and some advanced buddhists, yogis, etc. can do things like live in a dark cave without eating or drinking for a week or something, just to prove how much they've obtained mind over matter. That to me is pretty impressive.

"My master is so strong, he can go a week without eating!" proclaimed one student.

"Well, my master is so disciplined, he can go a week without sleeping!" retorts another.

"That's nothing..." starts a third. "My master is is so wise he eats when he's hungry and sleeps when he's tired."

Not often I get to share that one =/

I think I'd think most about my eyeballs popping, just before I set myself ablaze.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    From the kamikaze pilots of Japan, to the buddhists of Asia, to the suicide bombers of Islam, all are rewarded by their ideology for self immolation.

And we are not immune because our nuclear weapons point in one directon: self immolation.
    Hey, speak for yourself. My country ain't got no nuclear warheads.

But yeah, self-martyrdom is a pretty common human trait. I know plenty of people in my life who'd rather feel vindicated for their suffering than make the effort to get what they want out of life and minimise the suffering (for themselves and everyone else).
    Rational idealist. Ethical hedonist. Secular humanist. Libertarian centrist. Lawful neutral. Melancholic. Medicated Bipolar I. Cat person. Kuudere. Dark magical girl. Slytherin. Alcoholic milkshake enthusiast.
    Johari | Nohari

The dream to awaken our world.