User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    I think that there will be two main religions, three if you (for whatever nonsensical reason) want to count atheism. One religion will have a Greco-vibe, in that it's deity or deities will be very beautiful, humanistic, and materialistic (there's been a big push to attract young converts by making traditionally impersonal deities sound more like friends or fathers). The other religion will worship the planet(s) and life itself (there's always been a nature-based religion). They will fight endlessly and cause no end of hardship on everyone, as large groups of deeply religious people are wont to do. Think fundamentalist/evangelical Christians versus maniacally devout PETA members.
    Your post inspired me to ask a couple of questions:

1) What relevance would worshipping a Greco-themed pantheon have to its believers? They would need to classify and perceive beauty, humanism, materialism (perhaps even feminism) as objective moral values and then symbolise them as figures or concepts which are the ultimate expressions of these values.
    2) Why would they necessarily be at war? A religion that worships nature could see problems in the worship of traits it believes deviates from the importance of life (e.g. perceived vanity) but a pantheon would see life as important too as the element which allows humanism and beauty to exist.

It doesn't really matter however.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Your post inspired me to ask a couple of questions:

1) What relevance would worshipping a Greco-themed pantheon have to its believers? They would need to classify and perceive beauty, humanism, materialism (perhaps even feminism) as objective moral values and then symbolise them as figures or concepts which are the ultimate expressions of these values.
    2) Why would they necessarily be at war? A religion that worships nature could see problems in the worship of traits it believes deviates from the importance of life (e.g. perceived vanity) but a pantheon would see life as important too as the element which allows humanism and beauty to exist.

It doesn't really matter however.
    1) I meant more that the sacred deity or deities would be more human, less awesome and omniscient, and would have established physical characteristics. This blends existing trends in Hinduism and, more recently, Christianity.

2) I've never know two different religions to occupy the same land(s) and tolerate each other in perfect harmony, have you? Look at history. We never learn. The humanistic worshippers would probably offend the tree-huggers by putting man over nature, or cutting down some sacred tree of theirs to build a statue, or something. Religious conflicts never make much sense, but they happen anyway, and I doubt that'll change.
    Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness." ― Kurt Vonnegut

ENFP. 7w6 – 4w3 – 1w9 sx/so. Aries. Dilettante. Overly anxious optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiharu View Post
    1) I meant more that the sacred deity or deities would be more human, less awesome and omniscient, and would have established physical characteristics. This blends existing trends in Hinduism and, more recently, Christianity.

2) I've never know two different religions to occupy the same land(s) and tolerate each other in perfect harmony, have you? Look at history. We never learn. The humanistic worshippers would probably offend the tree-huggers by putting man over nature, or cutting down some sacred tree of theirs to build a statue, or something. Religious conflicts never make much sense, but they happen anyway, and I doubt that'll change.
    1) They would still need to exalt a certain appearance of beauty if they are to make human-like depiction, even if different regions have differing depictions of the diety's appearance. It's kind of self-evident that a polytheistic system of individual entities would not promote omnipotence or omniscience (outside of the highest God) as any hierarchy would be irrelevant.
    2) Harmony is not necessarily required, just that neither feels the need to eliminate the other. In history numerous cultures have equated foreign Gods as merely a different depiction of their Gods and so haven't really felt the need to go into a religious war regarding it (more the case of Gods cheering their nation on in their expansionist crusade) and the respect of various Gods in a country's pantheon meant that adherents who promoted one God over the other did not find themselves in a real ideological struggle with another sect which promotes another God. So war would be averted or subverted if they see each other as following the same ideals (perhaps perceiving the worship of life as the sum total of the pantheon's beliefs) but any incompatibility could still cause clashes. IMO polytheism was much more dynamic and ironically better designed than the monotheistic model. There wouldn't be as much need to war for the most part outside of ulterior motives.