• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How should religion be replaced from society?

R

Riva

Or should I rephrase - How should religion be eradicated from human society?

Science should take religions' place at schools and schools should eradicate religious teachings completely, this I believe is the 1st and the best step towards eradication of religion (or faith).

But how is it even possible?

Since starting a thread on an MBTI forum wouldn't lead to it happening, should we consider that it is for 'shits and giggles' and come up with a few ideas?

Psychotherapy maybe?

Teach psychology or counselling sessions at school (one on one) or maybe even group therapy sessions?

Frankly I doubt I'd ever be comfortable at a group therapy session though it seems to have its benefits, so one on one counselling sessions for students?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Can you eradicate the wind? Can you stop the force of the sun's gravitational pull?

Neither can you eradicate the esotherical nature of humanity. Faith is a part of that nature and there will always be people of faith, people with faith. Religion is futile,
but faith, that's another story. It moves mountains. It speaks directly with God and no force in the universe can stop that. So, to eradicate faith you would have to eradicate the human race, for so long as just one soul remains alive, there is the possibility of spiritual revelation and where there is the possibility of spiritual revelation there is the possibility of faith. I'm just saying, to attempt to eradicate faith is illogical. Read some C.S. Lewis, an INTJ who set out to disprove the validity of faith and became a believer in the very God he was attempting to discredit. Good stuff. Eradicating people's belief in a deity is like trying to eradicate the wind. So, perhaps before eradicating something, a person should attempt to understand it from the perspective it was meant to be understood. The human mind, with all of its glorious cognitive functions, is severly limited.

Last edited:

Nicodemus

I hope as sciences continues to occupy the field of truth, religion will keep on drifting into the realm of taste and art, where, in the end, it will be of similar importance to people as their favorite book, band, or film. That can work. Trying to actively eradicate it will only strengthen it because people are protective of their things. But if you give them a new toy, they gladly let go of the old one.

R

Riva

I hope as sciences continues to occupy the field of truth, religion will keep on drifting into the realm of taste and art, where, in the end, it will be of similar importance to people as their favorite book, band, or film. That can work. Trying to actively eradicate it will only strengthen it because people are protective of their things. But if you give them a new toy, they gladly let go of the old one.

Good point. And I agree with the 'protectiveness' of human nature.

Therefore this new toy is what I am looking for.

Nicodemus

I am afraid you are looking at a wide range of toys here, because religion is not one thing, and even less the same thing to different people. In the West, it seems most people use it to give themselves (and their children) a moral code (how ironic) and their lives meaning. You can find (much more reasonable) morality in books on ethics and meaning by narrowing your perspective on life and keeping busy.

In your part of the world, it seems to me religion is much more practice, far less theory. You might need another angle.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This question presumes religion needs to be eradicated, a premise I'm not so sure I agree on

T

The Iron Giant

Over time, I think faith will naturally give way to actual real information and believers will become more and more scarce. I don't think belief in a god will ever completely disappear, any more than any other bit of misinformation will. It's like asking how we can convince everyone on the planet that astrology is crap. There will always be people who believe something that's not true.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that a good start would be to legitimately separate the church from the state, and not let any religious people be politicians; and not let anything religious go into schools unless it's in a history class or religion class. There are some laws that for sure are only there because of religion. Have religion be something unnecessary to society but optional, and not forced on us in very subtle ways. Then I think it will be all fair and good.

If people stop being raised to be religious, then a lot less people will be this way. And you'll have many, many more people who are religious for their own personal reasons and gains rather than just because they were raised that way. Then the problem will stop somewhat in my opinion. There will always be bigots and extremists.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are answers that science cannot give. And those answers will be projected onto some shadow puppet by charismatic people. All you can do is mitigate the effects.

Standuble

Adopt the Bolshevik method where places of worship are closed down and discrimination in favour of those who profess agnosticism or atheism...unless you intend to breed religion out of the human brain via genetic engineering.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Adopt the Bolshevik method where places of worship are closed down and discrimination in favour of those who profess agnosticism or atheism...unless you intend to breed religion out of the human brain via genetic engineering.
I dont think that's a good idea. It will be then just like a parallel to those theocratic societies where people with different beliefs are persecuted/marginalized and forbidden to practice their religions. I think it's better that people come to this decision out of their own free will, and education and knowledge is the key.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I dont think that's a good idea. It will be then just like a parallel to those theocratic societies where people with different beliefs are persecuted/marginalized and forbidden to practice their religions. I think it's better that people come to this decision out of their own free will, and education and knowledge is the key.

I don't think condescending to people is a whole lot more effective than legally forbidding them. Especially when you're dealing with a cure in search of a problem.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
You don't.

You promote the redirection of religious impulses where they conflict with objective scientific criteria or (subjective) personal morality (i.e. you demand that legal prohibitions on behavior are justified through secular reasoning), and otherwise accept that religion fulfills needs within many (probably most) people that secular alternatives cannot (and in other areas, cannot do as well), and not be a petty dick about any necessary confrontations as they arise.

Within

Permabanned
The only way for said thing to occur would be if it took root in our way of reasoning, as an obsolete way of thinking/communicating about life, if that happened it would only be a matter of time. Seeing how knowledge is not about reality, it's the stigma of interpersonal relationships.

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I think there should be religious education at schools. The children should know the "official version" of their religion otherwise they believe that kinky bullshit their parents taught them. Christians should know the traditional and historical Jesus, so they build their own oppinion on religion.

Kayness

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think condescending to people is a whole lot more effective than legally forbidding them. Especially when you're dealing with a cure in search of a problem.

Who is saying anything about condescending here? Are you implying that i endorse condescending to people, or that my proposal to increase education is condescending? If so, what about what i said makes you think that? How did you even come to that conclusion in the first place anyway? Did you even read my post, or rather, did you even try to comprehend it?

I want to know if i am dealing with a legitimate case here or just a troll so that i dont waste my time.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
By acknowledging that we don't know what happens after death or any
Code:
realm in the field of metaphysics. By giving people a way to have higher purpose here in this world. By replacing the prosocial functions of religion with other institutions. By debunking mythology with a more comprehensive view of life that incorporates all the fields of study in life.