User Tag List

123 Last

Riva

Default How should religion be replaced from society?

Or should I rephrase - How should religion be eradicated from human society?

Science should take religions' place at schools and schools should eradicate religious teachings completely, this I believe is the 1st and the best step towards eradication of religion (or faith).

But how is it even possible?

Since starting a thread on an MBTI forum wouldn't lead to it happening, should we consider that it is for 'shits and giggles' and come up with a few ideas?

Psychotherapy maybe?

Teach psychology or counselling sessions at school (one on one) or maybe even group therapy sessions?

Frankly I doubt I'd ever be comfortable at a group therapy session though it seems to have its benefits, so one on one counselling sessions for students?

Enneagram
    9w8

Can you eradicate the wind? Can you stop the force of the sun's gravitational pull?

Neither can you eradicate the esotherical nature of humanity. Faith is a part of that nature and there will always be people of faith, people with faith. Religion is futile,
    but faith, that's another story. It moves mountains. It speaks directly with God and no force in the universe can stop that. So, to eradicate faith you would have to eradicate the human race, for so long as just one soul remains alive, there is the possibility of spiritual revelation and where there is the possibility of spiritual revelation there is the possibility of faith. I'm just saying, to attempt to eradicate faith is illogical. Read some C.S. Lewis, an INTJ who set out to disprove the validity of faith and became a believer in the very God he was attempting to discredit. Good stuff. Eradicating people's belief in a deity is like trying to eradicate the wind. So, perhaps before eradicating something, a person should attempt to understand it from the perspective it was meant to be understood. The human mind, with all of its glorious cognitive functions, is severly limited.
    Last edited by Ene; 02-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

I hope as sciences continues to occupy the field of truth, religion will keep on drifting into the realm of taste and art, where, in the end, it will be of similar importance to people as their favorite book, band, or film. That can work. Trying to actively eradicate it will only strengthen it because people are protective of their things. But if you give them a new toy, they gladly let go of the old one.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I hope as sciences continues to occupy the field of truth, religion will keep on drifting into the realm of taste and art, where, in the end, it will be of similar importance to people as their favorite book, band, or film. That can work. Trying to actively eradicate it will only strengthen it because people are protective of their things. But if you give them a new toy, they gladly let go of the old one.
    Good point. And I agree with the 'protectiveness' of human nature.

Therefore this new toy is what I am looking for.

I am afraid you are looking at a wide range of toys here, because religion is not one thing, and even less the same thing to different people. In the West, it seems most people use it to give themselves (and their children) a moral code (how ironic) and their lives meaning. You can find (much more reasonable) morality in books on ethics and meaning by narrowing your perspective on life and keeping busy.

In your part of the world, it seems to me religion is much more practice, far less theory. You might need another angle.

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Education.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

This question presumes religion needs to be eradicated, a premise I'm not so sure I agree on
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

The Iron Giant

Over time, I think faith will naturally give way to actual real information and believers will become more and more scarce. I don't think belief in a god will ever completely disappear, any more than any other bit of misinformation will. It's like asking how we can convince everyone on the planet that astrology is crap. There will always be people who believe something that's not true.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think that a good start would be to legitimately separate the church from the state, and not let any religious people be politicians; and not let anything religious go into schools unless it's in a history class or religion class. There are some laws that for sure are only there because of religion. Have religion be something unnecessary to society but optional, and not forced on us in very subtle ways. Then I think it will be all fair and good.

If people stop being raised to be religious, then a lot less people will be this way. And you'll have many, many more people who are religious for their own personal reasons and gains rather than just because they were raised that way. Then the problem will stop somewhat in my opinion. There will always be bigots and extremists.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There are answers that science cannot give. And those answers will be projected onto some shadow puppet by charismatic people. All you can do is mitigate the effects.