Thread: Humility

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Humility

I think the word evokes some negative connotation- draws up images of martyrs and religious beliefs that go against the grain of human nature and human desires-

@Mane recently mentioned that while some use this in certain circumstances, I hold it as one of the highest ideals- something to strive for. (Which is true, and turns into an ironic oxymoron. - "I am proud of my own humility.") Though I have a long way to go in that department, it means many positive things to me. It mostly leaves your mind open to your own faults-it's a safety net- everything we think and feel and do could be completely irrelevant, as a human race we are led down trillions of different paths, beliefs, actions, worldviews. The idea that we are small and inferior actually opens up many positive possibilities, it brings out a thoughtfulness of one's own perceptions, and also many other virtues- kindness, love, what-have-you.

In general, it's not something that I see as a value in society. Quite the opposite-unless I am missing something. Thoughts?
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I think humility goes with -clear mind- or Zen and is quite wonderful when combined with Confidence vis a vis Calm which creates Presence. I think the feeling is similar to -Trust-
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

My impression is that humility is often and easily seen as false or unhealthy. If someone is being humble, the temptation is to suspect they have low self-esteem, and need it boosted with compliments...or that they are pretending to have low self-esteem to receive the same. Seeing humility in others leaves me deeply suspicious of them, as it is usually the sort of trait that has to be put on display to be noticed (the truly humble person does not display their virtue). For this reason, I automatically react to it negatively. This might be the sort of attitude that makes it a non-virtue today.

It can be a virtue, or rather, part of one. Pride and humility should be mixed together to make one virtue we have no name for. Too much of either makes a flawed personality.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think humility goes with -clear mind- or Zen and is quite wonderful when combined with Confidence vis a vis Calm which creates Presence. I think the feeling is similar to -Trust-
    hmm... humilty vs. clear mind and trust- can you elaborate?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    My impression is that humility is often and easily seen as false or unhealthy. If someone is being humble, the temptation is to suspect they have low self-esteem, and need it boosted with compliments...or that they are pretending to have low self-esteem to receive the same. Seeing humility in others leaves me deeply suspicious of them, as it is usually the sort of trait that has to be put on display to be noticed (the truly humble person does not display their virtue). For this reason, I automatically react to it negatively. This might be the sort of attitude that makes it a non-virtue today.

It can be a virtue, or rather, part of one. Pride and humility should be mixed together to make one virtue we have no name for. Too much of either makes a flawed personality.
    hmm, I was thinking that- humility/pride dichotomy could be confused with low confidence/ high confidence - though I think that a humble person could be perfectly comfortable in their own skin despite feeling that they are just a tiny speck in time, (or a tiny speck in anything.) Where prideful people can be uninsightful- therefore angsty- always unnecessary desire to be individual- at the top of some given ladder- which I think could cause low self esteem in some cases.

I don't think humility has to = sad/melancholy/woe is me/just the underdog. I always envision myself someday losing the shackles of my own ego.

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    hmm, I was thinking that- humility/pride dichotomy could be confused with low confidence/ high confidence - though I think that a humble person could be perfectly comfortable in their own skin despite feeling that they are just a tiny speck in time, (or a tiny speck in anything.) Where prideful people can be uninsightful- therefore angsty- always unnecessary desire to be individual- at the top of some given ladder- which I think could cause low self esteem in some cases.
    Most certainly people often do confuse those two dichotomies! I did not mean to mix the two when I said pride and humility should be mixed however. I can well imagine an entirely humble person who has great confidence. Or a very proud person with low confidence. And I can imagine ways in which the overabundance of these traits would still cause personality flaws.

Of the two, I would say humility is the more empowering and beneficial, the more clearly a virtue when it is actually present. Maybe true humility is an understanding and acceptance of our small and unimportant part in things. Or an awareness of our limitations relative to others and, perhaps more importantly, to a god-like ideal. Ive found humility allows me to take the position of the underdog in my life story, with a contentment for this position. It creates optimism because, once you realize how lowly you are, the only way is up. Hmm. Am I do doing humility wrong? Should I not desire to be large even as I am content with how small I am?
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    Most certainly people often do confuse those two dichotomies! I did not mean to mix the two when I said pride and humility should be mixed however. I can well imagine an entirely humble person who has great confidence. Or a very proud person with low confidence. And I can imagine ways in which the overabundance of these traits would still cause personality flaws.

Of the two, I would say humility is the more empowering and beneficial, the more clearly a virtue when it is actually present. Maybe true humility is an understanding and acceptance of our small and unimportant part in things. Or an awareness of our limitations relative to others and, perhaps more importantly, to a god-like ideal. Ive found humility allows me to take the position of the underdog in my life story, with a contentment for this position. It creates optimism because, once you realize how lowly you are, the only way is up. Hmm. Am I do doing humility wrong? Should I not desire to be large even as I am content with how small I am?
    Yea, that all sounds exactly right... I guess it's a thing for saints and spiritual leaders, end up being really "big" and great just from constantly practicing this virtue. Maybe some people are born with it- or maybe it's just that, constant practice. Do you think the confusion with "low confidence" is like a cover up for people who just don't want to see the truth/sacrifice/do a lot of work?

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Yea, that all sounds exactly right... I guess it's a thing for saints and spiritual leaders, end up being really "big" and great just from constantly practicing this virtue. Maybe some people are born with it- or maybe it's just that, constant practice. Do you think the confusion with "low confidence" is like a cover up for people who just don't want to see the truth/sacrifice/do a lot of work?
    False humility and low confidence (which can appear to be humility, or may be generously referred to as humility) are probably much more common than actual true humility. To hold humility for any significant amount of time is difficult. It demands a rarer sort of personality. It might be (just guessing here) that the conflation made between humility and low confidence is due to the dunning-kruger effect (possibly incorrect usage of dunning-kruger effect, is that ironic?). In other words, so many people do not have the capacity for true humility that they do not understand what it looks like. Thus, since humility is a popular word/idea in our culture we have labeled something that looks like humility, to ignorant eyes, as humility itself. In the same manner we label brash and loud people as self-confident and secure, when they actually might be the opposite.

I wonder how many people, for x lengths of time, perceive the world from a point of "true humility". Do you think its common? Where can it be found, in your opinion?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

hmm... humilty vs. clear mind and trust- can you elaborate?
    I think humility is the realization that you're not the only thing in existence that matters. People who are humble often work toward ends that benefit not just themselves, but others as well. Doing that makes you a part of something bigger than yourself. In a sense, that requires a certain sort of trust, in other people, in yourself, and that when the action you take grows bigger than you and goes beyond your individual control that things will turn out well. Taking action towards goals makes you believe in them more firmly and so when you work in something that you trust that is larger than yourself you have a clear mind. The test of course comes when you hit a brick wall. Then, it can be difficult to maintain tranquility, trust, and because of that we feel we must rely on on ourselves. This cuts us off from others and breeds arrogance because everything becomes about you.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Humility is already way overrated......... let's not make it too proud of itself, shall we? :P