User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Default "Science is a religion"

This claim makes no sense to me, but there's no point in posting one of the many definitions of "religion" and bulletpointing all of the ways science is separate from that definition. The mundane truth is that what, in common parlance, constitutes a "religion" is ambiguous. In actual fact, I find that people who make the claim in this thread's title tend to have a broad-to-the-point-of-meaningless definition of "religion" as "anything with explanatory force that anyone believes for any reason whatsoever." If this is the definition we're using, then fine, science is a "religion".

But it's still the only religion that requires its practitioners to back their claims with repeatable, falsifiable demonstrations of empirical evidence. And that's good enough for me.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    But it's still the only religion that requires its practitioners to back their claims with repeatable, falsifiable demonstrations of empirical evidence. And that's good enough for me.
    This is why both science and religion are important. Science provides us with empirical measures that can be universally agreed upon, and religion speculates on those things that cannot yet be measured. The important thing to remember though is that (and I'm sure you have already come to this conclusion Mycroft) the science must come first! Only after all the measures have been taken should we turn our attention towards religion and the dark corners of our world it can uncover that the light of science does not currently penetrate.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    This is why both science and religion are important. Science provides us with empirical measures that can be universally agreed upon, and religion speculates on those things that cannot yet be measured. The important thing to remember though is that (and I'm sure you have already come to this conclusion Mycroft) the science must come first! Only after all the measures have been taken should we turn our attention towards religion and the dark corners of our world it can uncover that the light of science does not currently penetrate.
    I have no need for the God of the Gaps in my world view.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Ya I said you must think science comes first - and the part about religion coming after is what I thought; but anyway, how do you explain these "gaps" you mention?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Ya I said you must think science comes first - and the part about religion coming after is what I thought; but anyway, how do you explain these "gaps" you mention?
    The gaps are the questions that science cannot yet answer. Most of what we now know through scientific inquiry was unexplained for millennia, falling under the purvey of religion. Religion is best concerned with those questions which science will never answer.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Science is a method. No religion I've known of really has any method, no less is a method.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Science is a method. No religion I've known of really has any method, no less is a method.
    science has it's roots in religion and occultism.

"Science without religion is lame"
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Religions have plenty of methods. Unfortunately, they don't lead to much due to lack of any correspondence with reality. The main exception is meditation techniques, but those don't require actual belief in a deity to work.

Quote Originally Posted by LEGERdeMAIN View Post
    science has it's roots in religion and occultism.

"Science without religion is lame"
    Human inquiry has its roots in religion and occultism, since that was the main way of attempting to satify the desire to know and understand. But it is religion without science that is lame, or more accurately, we are lame if all we have is religion. Science can stand on its own two feet, and support us along with it.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post

Human inquiry has its roots in religion and occultism, since that was the main way of attempting to satify the desire to know and understand. But it is religion without science that is lame, or more accurately, we are lame if all we have is religion. Science can stand on its own two feet, and support us along with it.
    that was an einstein quote, thought it was interesting. I don't belong to or participate in any religious activity. Science cannot stand on it's own, it needs a catalyst. religion was the catalyst at one time, what is it now?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The gaps are the questions that science cannot yet answer. Most of what we now know through scientific inquiry was unexplained for millennia, falling under the purvey of religion. Religion is best concerned with those questions which science will never answer.
    Like the appeal of pistachio ice cream? Disgusting. The amount of times ive mistaken it for mint....
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.