• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

"Science is a religion"

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is not the first time we disagree.

It seems fairly straight forward. Believing a god or gods is the prime creator and mover of the universe does in and of itself have specific ethical meaning, and an ethical system can be constructed with no reference to such a concept.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It seems fairly straight forward. Believing a god or gods is the prime creator and mover of the universe does in and of itself have specific ethical meaning, and an ethical system can be constructed with no reference to such a concept.

Sure, but not all religion necesarily beleives in a god or gods as creator of the universe. Look at Bhuddism as an example. Im just saying here that an ethical system( and not just plain ethics) would have to exist at least within the conext of a complex enough philosophy, complex enough to call it religion maybe.

Lark

Which would be fine Magic if we were talking in the abstract without reference to any ACTUAL religions, living or dead, give religion some credit, I know you've been athiestic with a vengence for a while now but ceasing to acknowledge facts because of whatever ideological trip you're on is not something I'd have previously associated with you.

The only system of thought I can think of which would even come to a close approximation of what you generalise as "religion" is philosophical deism and that's it, there's not a single theistic religion that I'm aware of which does not involve an ethical framework and the non-theistic ones I know about are almost completely ethical frameworks (the objects of devotion are obviously different because there's not a deity).

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sure, but not all religion necesarily beleives in a god or gods as creator of the universe. Look at Bhuddism as an example. Im just saying here that an ethical system( and not just plain ethics) would have to exist at least within the conext of a complex enough philosophy, complex enough to call it religion maybe.

An ethical and cosmological philosophy are two different things which may not be connected. At any rate, since atheists and agnostics such as myself have an ethical system, it's not clear how this "complex" philosophy would have to be religion.

Which would be fine Magic if we were talking in the abstract without reference to any ACTUAL religions, living or dead, give religion some credit, I know you've been athiestic with a vengence for a while now but ceasing to acknowledge facts because of whatever ideological trip you're on is not something I'd have previously associated with you.

See below for my explanation about this. And I'm not sure what this position even has to do with giving religion credit. Is it somehow an insult to say that religion and ethics are not inherently related?

The only system of thought I can think of which would even come to a close approximation of what you generalise as "religion" is philosophical deism and that's it, there's not a single theistic religion that I'm aware of which does not involve an ethical framework and the non-theistic ones I know about are almost completely ethical frameworks (the objects of devotion are obviously different because there's not a deity).

Sure, every religion seems to come with an ethical framework, but there are a couple problems with this being a good point. One is that while every religion might have an ethical framework, they do not all have the same ethical framework. Those even within the same denomination do not necessarily agree to or adhere to the ethical framework in the same way. And just as many (if I dare say more) atheists also have a philosophical ethical framework. Putting these three points together, it becomes unclear what the special connection is between religion and ethics. In other words, the relationship between religion and ethics seems to be nothing more than the fact that a preponderance of human beings happen to be both religious and somewhat ethical at the same time.

I also wanted to say that your bold statement is false. Buddhism involved cosmological ideas. Religions, theistic or not, have involved cosmological concepts as frequently as ethical ones.

Lark

An ethical and cosmological philosophy are two different things which may not be connected. At any rate, since atheists and agnostics such as myself have an ethical system, it's not clear how this "complex" philosophy would have to be religion.

See below for my explanation about this. And I'm not sure what this position even has to do with giving religion credit. Is it somehow an insult to say that religion and ethics are not inherently related?

Sure, every religion seems to come with an ethical framework, but there are a couple problems with this being a good point. One is that while every religion might have an ethical framework, they do not all have the same ethical framework. Those even within the same denomination do not necessarily agree to or adhere to the ethical framework in the same way. And just as many (if I dare say more) atheists also have a philosophical ethical framework. Putting these three points together, it becomes unclear what the special connection is between religion and ethics. In other words, the relationship between religion and ethics seems to be nothing more than the fact that a preponderance of human beings happen to be both religious and somewhat ethical at the same time.

I also wanted to say that your bold statement is false. Buddhism involved cosmological ideas. Religions, theistic or not, have involved cosmological concepts as frequently as ethical ones.

Magic, and you did this in the other thread and its one of the reasons I dont usually bother with your posts anymore, you where not giving religion credit because you first denied that there was any proof positive relationship between religion and ethics at all, I would suggest because you have a grudge against religion generally, and when you couldnt sustain that any longer (see highlighting) you breeze over what's a pretty major blind spot to suggest with a lot of characteristic verbosity something vague, maybe its about consistency, maybe its about asserting something about atheism, who the hell knows.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well here's a question: Can you qualify as part of a religion without having a particular cosmological and ethical belief?
Not typically from what I understand, except for a few applications of Buddhism that approach it as a philosophy. There are atheist Buddhist, for example.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
For those who think that the peer-review process of publication and funding actually works:

http://retractionwatch.wordpress.com/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/billfre...-shuts-down-whistleblower-site-science-fraud/

For those who think that "scientific method" is adhered to, and high-profile publications = important publications:
http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pmed.0020124
http://www.nature.com/news/replication-studies-bad-copy-1.10634

For simple/editorial-style summaries of what is going on in general:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/sep/13/scientific-research-fraud-bad-practice
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/sep/14/solution-scientific-fraud-replication

As someone who's seen how rotten the system is from the inside and how self-deluding salesman scientists are... I'm just glad to be getting out. There IS good science, don't get me wrong. There are loads of individuals I know who are in science and who have impeccable ethics and would never let their ambition get in the way of scientific progress. But these individuals are building their findings on a house of cards because their peers around them do not have the same level of integrity. Science is not a religion. Neither is it a process. In the modern world, science is just like any business, except that some believe it to be more prestigious than others. The most ruthless and the ones with the least consideration of what is "right" play the political game to get to the top, continue to believe their own lies and destroy/defame those who disagree. That is "science" from my perspective. Science deserves no more or less respect than any other industry.

Thank you for this. Good post.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Magic, and you did this in the other thread and its one of the reasons I dont usually bother with your posts anymore, you where not giving religion credit because you first denied that there was any proof positive relationship between religion and ethics at all, I would suggest because you have a grudge against religion generally, and when you couldnt sustain that any longer (see highlighting) you breeze over what's a pretty major blind spot to suggest with a lot of characteristic verbosity something vague, maybe its about consistency, maybe its about asserting something about atheism, who the hell knows.

What I said was that religion was not necessary for ethics and ethics was not necessary for religion. That in and of itself does not say that there isn't a positive correlation because it speaks only of necessities. This is the same as the fact that there is a strong positive correlation between being American and speaking English but neither necessitates the other. So even granting there were a positive correlation, it would refute my assertion not one bit.

That being said, I do question the positive correlation, going back to my point that being religious and being ethical both seem to be very common things, thus there is a very large number of ethical religious people. But the frequency of non-ethical religious people, and ethical non-religious people, seems to suggest that an actual correlation is not that strong. There may be none at all. It must be said that part of the issue might come from distinguishing the academic concept of a religion from the tendencies of actual religious people. It's a thought.

My advice to you is the spend less time trying to figure out where the other person is coming from and more time thinking about their statements. I suspect you take me for someone more rabidly atheist than I am. I am hardly a Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. Either way you seem to use your notions about how I am as a reason to think less about what I say.

Not typically from what I understand, except for a few applications of Buddhism that approach it as a philosophy. There are atheist Buddhist, for example.

This is sort of what I'm getting at.

I see the disagreement over my claim that religion has no method. I can see how they sort of do, though my issue with that would be the following. Religion as a whole is not a thing with a singular method (and it follows that it can't be defined by such a thing then), the methods themselves are in no way systematic, and usually religious people are not even aware that they have such methods and may even take offense at the suggestion. In that way, these so-called methods are quite different from science, but I can still see how it would qualify as religion having methods.

But the point of my last question is to illustrate a difference from science. Although there is something we call a scientific consensus, like the heliocentric model or the theory of evolution, there is no specific belief about the universe, be it a true/false statement or a good/bad statement, that one must have to use the scientific method, to think scientifically, or be called a scientist. That makes it quite different from religion by my reckoning.

Thank you for this. Good post.

To me it seems somewhere between taking a piss on art because a lot of artists are douche bags, and rejecting education because the USA's education system is broken. It seems to miss the central point with possibly negative consequences.

Lark

What I said was that religion was not necessary for ethics and ethics was not necessary for religion. That in and of itself does not say that there isn't a positive correlation because it speaks only of necessities. This is the same as the fact that there is a strong positive correlation between being American and speaking English but neither necessitates the other. So even granting there were a positive correlation, it would refute my assertion not one bit.

That being said, I do question the positive correlation, going back to my point that being religious and being ethical both seem to be very common things, thus there is a very large number of ethical religious people. But the frequency of non-ethical religious people, and ethical non-religious people, seems to suggest that an actual correlation is not that strong. There may be none at all. It must be said that part of the issue might come from distinguishing the academic concept of a religion from the tendencies of actual religious people. It's a thought.

My advice to you is the spend less time trying to figure out where the other person is coming from and more time thinking about their statements. I suspect you take me for someone more rabidly atheist than I am. I am hardly a Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. Either way you seem to use your notions about how I am as a reason to think less about what I say.

Nope Magic, I'm actually apt to take exactly what people are saying for where the other person is coming from, its hard to figure anything else with the limited information available in a context like an online forum, and what you were very clearly saying was not what you're now saying. Perhaps you meant to be clear from the beginning but I suspect you're just becoming guarded and defensive like you did before.

Its not big deal to say that you dont believe in something but that its got its good points but you cant do that because you're chasing after some nutty black and white, truth and lies, set of dichotomies, maybe I did that when I was younger to but not these days and I think that's the difference. Its also why I dont find talking to you as worthwhile as I once did.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nope Magic, I'm actually apt to take exactly what people are saying for where the other person is coming from

Considering all the times "I see no problem with homosexuality" was interpreted as "we must stigmatize heterosexuality" I don't think you take people at face value.

its hard to figure anything else with the limited information available in a context like an online forum, and what you were very clearly saying was not what you're now saying. Perhaps you meant to be clear from the beginning but I suspect you're just becoming guarded and defensive like you did before.

I really don't know how to demonstrate that might point has been consistent beyond what I've already said. It would be very tedious and repetitive, that's for sure.

People become defensive when they feel their justifications for an important belief are vulnerable. Between my apathy about strictly religious matters and the fact that I feel invulnerable on this particular position, I can assure you I am not getting defensive. Rather, this is exactly what I was telling you about. Your focus is on me being defensive (in your imagination) rather making sense of what I said in its own right.

Its not big deal to say that you dont believe in something but that its got its good points but you cant do that because you're chasing after some nutty black and white, truth and lies, set of dichotomies, maybe I did that when I was younger to but not these days and I think that's the difference. Its also why I dont find talking to you as worthwhile as I once did.

1: I have no idea what the bold part has to do with this discussion or where it would have come up.

2: My open-ended decoupling of religion and ethics is actually a less black and white position than binding them together, I would think, as it allows for more possibilities and therefore creates fewer dichotomies.

3: It strains credibility to claim that you do not think in black and white.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To me it seems somewhere between taking a piss on art because a lot of artists are douche bags, and rejecting education because the USA's education system is broken. It seems to miss the central point with possibly negative consequences.

Uh, this is not limited to the US. Science as an industry needs an overhaul and no one is doing anything about it. I think you are missing the central point. There's no point in arguing over differences in the "philosophy" of science and the "philosophy" of religion when the reality of it doesn't reflect this philosophy. That was my point through and through. You can keep arguing over what you think science is and what science should be, but on an administrative and organisational level, science and scientific funding is as chaotic and unregulated as any industry - or even religious organisations.

As someone who went into science for altruistic and idealistic reasons and sacrificed 14 years of my youth working towards becoming a scientist, I have more reasons than most to want to stay in science and defend science. But staying based on beliefs about philosophical ideals is ridiculous when reality constantly reminds me that they don't exist. Further, I find it amusing that most people who argue for the merits of science on philosophical grounds aren't even working in scientific research. If they were, they probably wouldn't be able to argue like they do with such moral fortitude.

As I said from the start, there ARE people who do adhere to scientific principles and work for progress and knowledge. It's just that these people generally don't make it to the top (too much time in the lab and not enough time playing golf with funding agency managers?) and are at the whim of those who don't care about anything but their own careers. I respect those who are trying to make a go of it, but personally, I don't see any reason to stay and do the same.

Also... I was in a position to whistleblow on misconduct but like many peons in the scientific industry in the same situation, the person I was up against is the favourite of the organisation and doing so would have too many personal repercussions. So I chose not to, and to just leave because it's healthier for me mentally to do so. Just because it seems like there are fewer scandals in scientific research doesn't mean that it is more credible than any other industry.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Uh, this is not limited to the US. Science as an industry needs an overhaul and no one is doing anything about it. I think you are missing the central point. There's no point in arguing over differences in the "philosophy" of science and the "philosophy" of religion when the reality of it doesn't reflect this philosophy. That was my point through and through. You can keep arguing over what you think science is and what science should be, but on an administrative and organisational level, science and scientific funding is as chaotic and unregulated as any industry - or even religious organisations.

As someone who went into science for altruistic and idealistic reasons and sacrificed 14 years of my youth working towards becoming a scientist, I have more reasons than most to want to stay in science and defend science. But staying based on beliefs about philosophical ideals is ridiculous when reality constantly reminds me that they don't exist. Further, I find it amusing that most people who argue for the merits of science on philosophical grounds aren't even working in scientific research. If they were, they probably wouldn't be able to argue like they do with such moral fortitude.

As I said from the start, there ARE people who do adhere to scientific principles and work for progress and knowledge. It's just that these people generally don't make it to the top (too much time in the lab and not enough time playing golf with funding agency managers?) and are at the whim of those who don't care about anything but their own careers. I respect those who are trying to make a go of it, but personally, I don't see any reason to stay and do the same.

Also... I was in a position to whistleblow on misconduct but like many peons in the scientific industry in the same situation, the person I was up against is the favourite of the organisation and doing so would have too many personal repercussions. So I chose not to, and to just leave because it's healthier for me mentally to do so. Just because it seems like there are fewer scandals in scientific research doesn't mean that it is more credible than any other industry.

First of all, my statement about the US education system was just another anology like the comment about artists, so there was no need for correcting that.

Secondly, while I'm sure the corporate, plutocratic society we're moving toward impairs the functionality of the scientific community, what I take issue with is the last statement in bold. If I take it quite literally, than I think you're saying that organized religions would contribute just as much to our society as the scientific community, and I find that extremely difficult to believe even with a totally realistic impression of the scientific community.

Also, there is a practical purpose in arguing over what science and religion can potentially be. To take the risk of using another anology, it's like saying that because you're in a corrupt democratic republic, there's no point in talking about the comparative merits of a democratic republic and a heriditary monarchy. For anyone that hasn't completely given up on humanity, there is a point, as a guide for how you want to influence the future.

roman67

It is true now that science is a religion now because there is big group of people who believe in this thing.

Mole

Permabanned
It is true now that science is a religion now because there is big group of people who believe in this thing.

Science is a religion in, for instance, Christian Science.

Christian Science is a 'scientific' religion founded by Mary Baker Eddy.

And Christian Science speaks of Jesus as, Jesus Christ, Scientist.

However the 'scientific' religion of Christian Science is not science. It doesn't practise the scientific method. And no science department of any university in the world grants a degree in Christian Science.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Secondly, while I'm sure the corporate, plutocratic society we're moving toward impairs the functionality of the scientific community, what I take issue with is the last statement in bold. If I take it quite literally, than I think you're saying that organized religions would contribute just as much to our society as the scientific community, and I find that extremely difficult to believe even with a totally realistic impression of the scientific community.

Also, there is a practical purpose in arguing over what science and religion can potentially be. To take the risk of using another anology, it's like saying that because you're in a corrupt democratic republic, there's no point in talking about the comparative merits of a democratic republic and a heriditary monarchy. For anyone that hasn't completely given up on humanity, there is a point, as a guide for how you want to influence the future.

I think that if you're talking about a personal level, religion has benefited a lot of people. Contributions to society is not only measured in things like average lifespan and infant mortality rate. To me, quality of life is much more important, and if you go look up the straw polls, religion actually makes people happier. Science.. may extend lives. But it's less the lifespan and more what you do with it that matters.. Also, I'd like to say that while extremist religion gives society terrorists, lynch mobs and the crusades, ethics-less scientific "progress" gives society thalidomide babies, Chernobyl and nuclear proliferation. Both science and religion can be twisted. Both are twisted because it's done by humans. With a completely realistic impression of the scientific community, it is better to be skeptical than swallow the next big-pharma-produced wonder-drug that comes along claiming to cure restless leg syndrome.

I don't see a practical purpose in arguing over what science and religion "can potentially be". Because all you're limited by is imagination, really, and these words are defined in many different ways by many different people. Arguing about "the ideal" is hardly useful when social scientists, scientists and philosophers can't even agree on what the ideal is! The idea of the "scientific method" is actually relatively new itself. Philosophically speaking it only came about in the 20th century in an effort to try to define "natural studies" under an umbrella word. If you look at the historical perspective of the idea of the "scientific method", it's a retrospective definition of rich-boy research from the 17th-19th century (most notably that of Robert Boyle). It's no wonder then, that no one adheres to "the scientific method" in reality. The way that definition came about was itself suspect, and most research conducted today would be incredibly inefficient if the supposed "scientific method" was used. Read Thomas Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, it's the most-cited social science paper in history.

Exactly! I believe that there is no point in talking about the relative merits of a democratic republic and an autocratic government. It all depends on the specific people in charge! Otherwise the conclusions that you draw are so general that it's completely useless, whether speaking about current reality or for formulation of policy in the future. Just like I do not criticise "science" in general and simply point out that administrative methods, means of obtaining funding and the peer-review process do not help the objective research process or adhere to what people believe science to be, it's ridiculous to use preconceptions of religion or science (that make up an incredibly narrow slice of what it actually IS) to draw broad conclusions about either subject.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So it's just like any other industry?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So it's just like any other industry?

Yup. That's the point that I'm making. It's more regulated than most aspects of business, but if you're talking about finding some moral reason that makes science better or worse than any other industry, there really isn't one. People in general stick to ideals only if it suits their purpose.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yup. That's the point that I'm making. It's more regulated than most aspects of business, but if you're talking about finding some moral reason that makes science better or worse than any other industry, there really isn't one. People in general stick to ideals only if it suits their purpose.

Naw, it's interesting because I'm thinking about going into it, so I appreciate that you gave me a more realistic perspective of what it might be like. It doesn't discourage me, but I like getting some down-to-earth knowledge.

Basically, what I've found is that people are people, and people being people, you're sometimes going to have to deal with bullshit. You can't really escape that, and there's no group that really lacks that. This works for the positive aspects of people as well. What you're saying sounds like further evidence of that.

I wouldn't really call science a religion anymore than I would call history or the design industry a religion. It's not a valid comparison. It might be more useful to compare antitheism to religion. That's more equivalent because we're talking about belief systems without obvious applicability to the external world. :ninja:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Naw, it's interesting because I'm thinking about going into it, so I appreciate that you gave me a more realistic perspective of what it might be like. It doesn't discourage me, but I like getting some down-to-earth knowledge.

Basically, what I've found is that people are people, and people being people, you're sometimes going to have to deal with bullshit. You can't really escape that, and there's no group that really lacks that. This works for the positive aspects of people as well. What you're saying sounds like further evidence of that.
Yeah. I went into science already knowing this, but my priorities changed along the way because I realised that being constantly reminded of how people are unethical about science, which I've had a passion for since forever, was making me miserable. Seeing politically connected people moving up when they are publishing rubbish and seeing people who are really good scientists out of money is incredibly depressing for someone who genuinely cares about science in general. Plus there's the no-life years (just under a decade) of struggle as a lowly-paid postdoc after below-poverty-line 4-5 years of grad school hoping to be part of the 5% of science PhDs that make tenure... There are some who are willing to make those sacrifices and take that chance. I'd suggest doing something else unless you can't imagine being ANYTHING BUT an academic scientist. If you're hoping to be able to have some semblance of a family life and want to have financial stability in your 30s, I don't recommend it.

I wouldn't really call science a religion anymore than I would call history or the design industry a religion. It's not a valid comparison. It might be more useful to compare antitheism to religion. That's more equivalent because we're talking about belief systems without obvious applicability to the external world. :ninja:
Same here, to me, it's like comparing apples and socks. Of course, "obvious applicability" is also a subjective term though - church records dating back to the 1800s are awesome for epidemiology studies and working out epigenetic changes in disease!

Mole

Permabanned
there is no point in talking about the relative merits of a democratic republic and an autocratic government. It all depends on the specific people in charge!

We have discovered that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, and that even a benign autocrat doesn't remain benign for long.

And we know that it does not depend on the people in charge, it depends on the type of institution.

For instance, liberal democracy optimises freedom, equality and prosperity, while autocracy, theocracy, authoritarian or totalitarian States, have no interest in freedom and equality, and impoverish their people.

Your ideas are so wrongheaded, I wonder where they are coming from.