User Tag List

First 567

Banned
    MBTI
    InTJ

Durentu,

That was an interesting hypothesis, and I agree with you to a large degree, however my argument was not based on the denial of spirituality, maybe I should have worded my post slightly better, the problem I had was ascribing a supernatural phenomenon to spirituality, spirituality can in fact be induced in the human brain, there has been experiments carried out by; Michael Persinger in neurotheology.

Taken from Wiki title "God helmet" - Persinger uses a modified snowmobile helmet or a head-circlet device nicknamed the Octopus that contain solenoids which create a weak but complex magnetic field over the brain's right-hemisphere parietal and temporal lobes. Persinger reports that at least 80 percent of his participants experience a presence beside them in the room, which they variously say feels like God, or someone they knew who had died.

Also indeed you are correct, spirituality have indeed played a role, art, music etc. it has some kind of basic dependence on preternaturalism, but yes some art is based on mysticism/spirituality but that does not necessarily mean it had to be dependent on mysticism/spirituality or mysticism/spirituality was a prerequisite.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's not as if I'm unfamiliar with spirituality as a whole. Like most people, I grew up in a religious household. Most of my family still goes to church and performs the various religious rituals they were brought up in.

And it's not that it's uninteresting - way too many people devote such time and energy to it for it not to be. It's just more that it's unnecessary - I can develop just as much of a sense of wonder about the material universe without needing to contemplate a metaphysical realm. Likewise, most spiritual concepts require violating at least some sense of empiricism, particularly the need for evidence that's shared among all people.

This is a question I can wait until death to find out about, as far as I'm concerned. What's tangible has more than enough to take care of things for now.
    Being spiritual doesn't mean being religious.

and you sir visit way too many spiritual topics for someone who subscribes to the western science views. It looks like you just come here to stroke your ego.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    Being spiritual doesn't mean being religious.

and you sir visit way too many spiritual topics for someone who subscribes to the western science views. It looks like you just come here to stroke your ego.
    Nah, just hoping some of you come to your senses about things. I am an extravert, you know.