ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Because we know ourselves.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

To my notion, spirituality (as a general concept) is a human attempt to live both within and outside the normal boundaries of one's "self." Or simply, embracing the unknown.

Forgive the following pseudo-philosophical rant.

It's been shown that changing your thoughts, quite often changes your world. Spirituality is largely reinforced by this psychosomatic cause-and-effect. When you believe in something you find to be "good," your attitude will likely change in several positive ways. This will likely change your behavior, and as such, your behavior will likely carry different results reflective of your original attitude.

In a lot of ways, it is no different than mathematics. Both are man-made constructs that are simply "laid over" reality, and are often changed to further fit our understanding of the cause-and-effect of the universe.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

This is a good question. I think if we erased everyone's mind of all spiritual and religious notions, that those beliefs would slowly work their way back into the populous over the years.

We are far off from having complete scientific knowledge of the universe, and as long as there is still major questions unanswered, people will credit the supernatural. This could be considered as taking mental shortcuts, but it does offer a sense of comfort and certainty for some people.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

For some people spirituality serves as an emotional outlet.

For some people spirituality uplifts them and gives them hope.

For some people spirituality brings them together with other people. It facilitates the feeling of connectedness.

For some people spirituality is stable, guiding, and comforting in this world of confusion.

Just a few ideas.

MBTI
    INTP

If you mean superstitious then I don't know for sure but suspect it has to do with a lack of knowledge, especially in modern times. Spiritual in the sense of awe and wonder of the cosmos is lovely though, no need to invoke supernaturalism to experience it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Spirituality is ...

[after 5 hours of reading and thinking]

I seek that which the tongue has not spoiled. - Joseph Campbell

----------------
    my definition so far is:

spirituality is the discovery, understanding and expression of personal truth.

and

love is the understanding, validation and acceptance of another person's reality.

I was camping recently and spent quite a bit of time, probably 30 miles from the nearest house, stairing at the stars. In that night, I saw quite a few shooting stars and noticed over several hours the moving of the constellations. I started to think about what our ancestors must have thought, many many years ago, as they stared up at the same sky, seeing the same things. I've never been a highly spiritual person. I've never deemed it necessary to shoot down people who are, however. Anyway, when I saw that sky, I started to think about what must have gone through those people's minds. The earliest of our writings and folklore have to do with explanations for why these things happen. They were all trying to figure out "why".

I think that those traditions, from long ago, are still being passed down through time and is a learned trait, to some extent. If someone was raised in a cabin in the woods, away from society, would the person come up with the same set of ideals about the universe? They wouldn't even know what the universe is, unless they are told. They might come up with their own explanation, based off of what makes sense in regards to their individual knowlege of their surroundings. They wouldn't know the stories of Jesus and Mary and all the other history from the Bible. They would probably be more in touch with their not learned, instinctual natures.

Having spirituality makes sense. It fills that void of "why" that many of us would have wanted to know OR it is just taught to us as fact from childhood by our families. If you don't know an alternative, you will probably naturally trust it as truth. It's aided in the progression of human kind by introducing other things to the mix, like positive ideals, higher moral standard, socialization with like minded people, etc. So, for the most part, it's been a positive to be a believer in a greater power. Also, I think that people would have killed each other off long ego if their weren't a moral standard involved. So, I think evolution of man in general has been aided along the way by having spirituality be a normal part of mix.

At any rate, those are my thoughts on the matter....

Default Alternance

We are spiritual because we are conscious.

But no one knows what consciousness is. So no one knows what spirituality is.

We can say though that we desire food, water, sexuality, and oddly enough, we desire to change our consciousness.

All cultures, except the Inuit, change their consciousness biochemically.

Just as plants biochemically attract bees to pollinate, plants biochemically attract us by changing our consciousness. The Cannabise plant is a good example, as is the tobacco plant. And of course there are many more. Some favoured by one culture and some favoured by another. Muslims, for instance, don't favour the hops plant.

And because we so desire to change our consciousness, we have found many other ways to do so - such as spirituality.

Much spirituality is entered through ritual. And ritual is a repetition. And any repetition will induce a trance.

And a trance is simply a change in consciousness.

Any particular trance will turn off part of our cognitive consciousness and turn on part of our creative consciousness.

And as we turn off parts of our cognitive consciousness, we become more suggestible. And religions take advantage of this heightened suggestibility to teach their doctrine and beliefs.

But interestingly we keep changing our consciousness all during the day and night. We change our consciousness between waking and sleeping, from sexual arousal to sexual quiescence, from watching TV to reading a book, from driving and walking, from painting to programming, from eating to digesting, from believing to scepticism. Even riding in an elevator changes our consciousness.

But Scientific American has shown that the greatest effect on our metabolism, and so presumably our consciousness, is other people.

Babies depend, for instance, on their mothers and fathers to modulate their emotions. In other words babies depend on their parents to change their consciousness, just as they depend on their parents to change their nappies. And as we mature we slowly learn how to change our own consciousness.

So we all depend primarily on one another to change our consciousness. So we are dependent on one another - and this makes us the single largest animal on the planet and also the most vulnerable. But vulnerability is the price we pay for creativity.

So although we don't know what consciousness is, we do know that changing our consciousness all during the day and night is the very basis of our creativity and our success.

And oh yes, my favourite word for changing our consciousness is - alternance.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Fear of death and lack of ambiguity tolerance.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think we're more conscious ^^^ or sensitive to something...something....I've always considered myself more spiritual than religious, so I can assure you it isn't a product of "religious brainwashing" or any other such nonsense that non-believers tend to spew out in a knee jerk fashion.