First 1234 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by helen View Post
    People are spiritual because they have spirits.
    Quote Originally Posted by miauwington View Post
    Quoted for truth
    Prove it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

"Spiritual" is the vaguest word ever.

I am spiritual, I guess, because the universe is really freaking big, and I'm really freaking small. This I find to be completely awe-inspiring. It brings me to my knees, makes me reach out to connect to the bigness of the universe.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Prove it.
    I'm pretty sure that it's one of those blasted unprovable statements that can't really be ruled out. We've got SOMETHING going on here... even if it's just chemicals in our brains.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm pretty sure that it's one of those blasted unprovable statements that can't really be ruled out. We've got SOMETHING going on here... even if it's just chemicals in our brains.
    I agree.

Of course, if someone would have tried to say emphatically it was all just brain chemicals... I would have offered the same challenge.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ

People are looking for answers that they can't find in the every day - I think that's why people are spiritual. Everyone will eventually run into something that cannot be explained rationally, no matter how hard they try to make it rational. Sometimes coincidence can explain the odd, but sometimes trying to find the rational explanation is just as "irrational" as the possible, supernatural theory.

Which really says a whole lotta nothing, I guess. :p

I'm spiritual because my life works that way. I communicate that way, I feel that way, and I grow that way. I'm less selfish, I'm more aware of others, and I'm more aware of my overall connection with God. If I don't communicate spiritually, I usually become more selfish, stunted, and apathetic.
    Your personality type is INFJ.

Introverted (I) 93% Extraverted (E) 7%
    Intuitive (N) 77% Sensing (S) 23%
    Feeling (F) 60% Thinking (T) 40%
    Judging (J) 68% Perceiving (P) 32%

http://www.kisa.ca/personality/

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Prove it.
    I'll be honest, I can't. Just offering my viewpoint as requested. :-) I don't know whether or not it's possible to prove it, but even if it was possible I doubt it would be useful, unless the person you were proving it to already was sensing it, ah, spiritually.

This is one of my fav Scriptures, "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit." John 3:7

Peace,
    Helen

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

What do we mean by spiritual?

Various ways I've heard "I'm spiritual" used:
    1. "I am one with the universe."
    2. "I am a(n?) unique snowflake."
    3. "I have a metaphysical self which can transcend my physical self."
    4. "I was raised to believe in Christian/Jewish/[insert religion of choice here) dogma but now have been disillusioned by its hypocrisy."
    5. "I feel a kinship with humankind."
    6. "I feel a kinship with living things."
    7. "I call the Psychic Hotline."
    8. "The world sucks and it sucks for a reason."
    9. "The world is beautiful and its beautiful for a reason."
    10. "I think."
    and lots of combinations thereof.

I think some meanings of "spirituality" definitely promote a fellow feeling. Humans have been capable for creating such advanced societies because of cooperation. It can't hurt cooperation to see part of yourself as part of a greater unit/ connected with fellow individual units. Who wants to feel alone?

"People say that what we're all seeking is a meaning for life. I don't think that's what we're really seeking. I think that what we're seeking is an experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell
    Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Doesn't that quote sound semi-ironic? It's one thing that we definitely all have.

I suppose we don't KNOW we know the experience of being alive though. I want to synthesize my experience and compare it to others and expand it... I want to test it and see if I really have the "experience of being alive".

For me that quote alludes to the experience when one is fully in the moment and everything seems exactly how it should be. Everything is One and there is not such things as time or duality. I have had that experience in fleeting moments. Every atom of my being vibrates in unison with all that is. I want to develop this state of consciousness and that is why I am spiritual to learn to live fully in the moment with an awareness of the true nature of things.
    Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head..." - Ween